Performance and Maintainance of Windows Vista A forum for performance and maintenance tasks in Windows Vista. (microsoft.public.windows.vista.performance_maintainance)

explorer.exe does not run on startup

Old July 10th 08, 07:07 AM posted to microsoft.public.windows.vista.performance_maintenance
manos

Default explorer.exe does not run on startup

Hello and thanks for your time.

Every time I boot my computer, the process freezes when it's time to
run explorer.exe. For some unknown reason, it won't load on its own. I
can overcome the problem by using the task manager (File - New task -
"explorer"), but this has to be done every time I boot.

I would appreciate some help to find a permanent solution.

Thanks in advance.

m.

--
manos
Old July 10th 08, 10:40 AM posted to microsoft.public.windows.vista.performance_maintenance
Rick Rogers

Hi,

Run regedit from the start/search line, go to this key:

Locate the shell entry in the right pane and double click it. Replace the
contents with just:

explorer.exe

Click ok, then close the registry editor and restart the system.

--
Best of Luck,

http://mvp.support.microsoft.com/
Windows help - www.rickrogers.org

Old July 12th 08, 03:10 PM posted to microsoft.public.windows.vista.performance_maintenance
manos

I will give some more info, hoping this will help you help me.

The problem started after I manually turned off my computer, because of
a system crash. At that moment, windows explorer was open, showing the
contents of C:\texts. Now, every time I log in Windows, the only thing
that appears on the screen is that window showing the contents of
C:\texts. Nothing else is displayed (no wallpaper, no desktop icons, no
start menu), until I manually run explorer.exe via the task manager.

How can I make them appear automatically again on system startup?

Thanks in advance.

m.

--
manos
Old July 21st 08, 07:01 AM posted to microsoft.public.windows.vista.performance_maintenance
Dap7

I had this problem and at last found solution!
If it is the same what in my case, try:

open registry (menu Start - run (or run Comand prompt): regedit).

open: HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE \ SOFTWARE \ Microsoft \ Windows NT \ Current
Version \ Winlogon

At right pane there is "Shell". The value of it must be "explorer.exe"
(and nothing more - in my case there was activedebugger.exe too, when I
removed it explorer start appear on startup).

I hope it help

Dap7

--
Dap7
Old December 30th 08, 11:02 PM posted to microsoft.public.windows.vista.performance_maintenance
wildfirebill

Thanks mate been running it like that forever. Didn't want to reinstall
vista cause it takes to long. Gonna try this out

--
wildfirebill
Old December 30th 08, 11:24 PM posted to microsoft.public.windows.vista.performance_maintenance
Gordon[_5_]

"wildfirebill" wrote in message

Thanks mate been running it like that forever. Didn't want to reinstall
vista cause it takes to long. Gonna try this out

To whom are you talking and about what?
The "forum" that you are posting in leaches off the Microsoft News servers
in order to make it look far busier than it really is. Everyone who uses the
MS News servers sees your post on it's own - we have NO IDEA what you are
talking about and to whom you are talking.

This is not your fault - the fault lies with the forum owners who do not
explain to members that their posts end up on global Usenet newsgroups.
If you MUST continue to post in this "forum" then please at least quote the
post you are replying to, and do NOT change the subject line.

You would be far better off however, using a news reader and subscribing to
these news groups direct.

Setting up Outlook Express/Windows Mail to access Microsoft newsgroups
http://www.michaelstevenstech.com/ou...snewreader.htm

Accessing the MS newsgroups in Outlook Express/Windows Mail Newsreader
http://www.microsoft.com/windowsxp/e...roupsetup.mspx

Thank you

--
Asking a question?
your OS, Service Pack level

Old January 20th 09, 01:29 PM posted to microsoft.public.windows.vista.performance_maintenance
ianapp

i have same prob. accept the regfix doesn't work.
it stays the same. can there be something wrong with my entire
winlogon?
how can i do repair on it?

--
ianapp
Old January 20th 09, 09:13 PM posted to microsoft.public.windows.vista.performance_maintenance
Malke[_2_]

ianapp wrote:

i have same prob. accept the regfix doesn't work.
it stays the same. can there be something wrong with my entire
winlogon?
how can i do repair on it?

Unfortunately, we don't know what the "same prob." is or what regfix you're
referencing. Therefore, it's very difficult to help you. The explanation:

You are not posting on a real forum as you think you are and you didn't
quote any of the thread to which you are replying. You are using a web
interface that leeches Usenet posts and most of the rest of us are using
real newsreaders. We don't see what you do. If you want to participate in
Usenet, the better way is to set up a newsreader. This is very easy to do
and I'll give you information about that below. If you prefer to use a
forum, then here are two excellent ones:

http://forum.aumha.org/index.php
http://http://computerhaven.info/

Since you are using a web interface, you may not realize that this is really
a newsgroup. You will get far more out of this resource if you learn to use
a newsreader. There are many good newsreaders for Windows, but you can use
Outlook Express (XP) or Windows Mail (Vista) since you already have it.
Here are some links to information about newsgroups:

About Usenet:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Usenet
http://www.faqs.org/faqs/ - Usenet FAQs from the Internet FAQ Archives
http://www.usenetmonster.com/infocenter/
http://www.elephantboycomputers.com/page2.html#Usenet - a brief explanation
of newsgroups

Outlook Express/Windows Mail as Newsreader:
http://michaelstevenstech.com/outloo...snewreader.htm
http://rickrogers.org/setupoe.htm
http://vistasupport.mvps.org/accessi...ndows_mail.htm

How to Post:
http://users.tpg.com.au/bzyhjr/liszt.htm - How Not to Get Technical Help on
Usenet

microsoft.public.test.here - MS group to test if your newsreader is working
properly
http://www3.telus.net/dandemar/munad.htm - how to munge email address
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Crossposting - crossposting
http://www.blakjak.demon.co.uk/mul_crss.htm - multiposting

Other Newsreaders for Windows:
http://www.forteinc.com/main/homepage.php - Forte
http://www.mozilla.org - Thunderbird

Malke
--
MS-MVP
Elephant Boy Computers - Don't Panic!

Old October 11th 09, 10:09 AM posted to microsoft.public.windows.vista.performance_maintenance
Barneeftw

Thanks very much. This was so much help.
This problem has been annoying me for ages.
I actually just made an account on this website so I can thank you.

^_^

--
Barneeftw
Barneeftw's Profile: http://forums.techarena.in/members/143161.htm