How to: Copy/restore faxes from one Vista PC to a new one?

Old July 12th 08, 07:29 PM posted to microsoft.public.windows.vista.print_fax_scan
SuperFreak[_5_]

Default How to: Copy/restore faxes from one Vista PC to a new one?

Sorry, I don't know step 2., how to add the Fax group to that user's
memberships. What exactly need to do to get that done? Thank you for
your help!

--
SuperFreak
Old July 12th 08, 08:52 PM posted to microsoft.public.windows.vista.print_fax_scan
Malke[_2_]

SuperFreak wrote:

Sorry, I don't know step 2., how to add the Fax group to that user's
memberships. What exactly need to do to get that done? Thank you for
your help!

Add a user account to a group:
http://windowshelp.microsoft.com/Win...e6e361033.mspx

User groups in Windows:
http://windowshelp.microsoft.com/Win...c75421033.mspx

Malke
--
MS-MVP
Elephant Boy Computers - Don't Panic!

Old July 13th 08, 02:26 AM posted to microsoft.public.windows.vista.print_fax_scan
SuperFreak[_5_]

Malke;774452 Wrote:

1. Create a matching user account and password on both machines.
Example:
superfreak for the user and 1234 for the password. It doesn't matter,
it
just needs to match.

2. Then add the Fax group to that user's memberships.

3. Copy the files to that user's home directory and check the
permissions.
If they need to be adjusted, take ownership of them as previously
detailed.

Malke
--
MS-MVP
Elephant Boy Computers - Don't Panic!
FAQ - 'index' (http://www.elephantboycomputers.com/#FAQ)

I really appreciate your efforts. But I still don't know how to add
that specific "Fax group" to the newly created SuperFreak "user's
membership". I need more help how to copy faxes from one Vista machine
to another.

It's weird that Microsoft publish their latest OS without the
possibility to copy the user's own faxes to a new PC with the same OS on
it.

--
SuperFreak
Old July 13th 08, 01:36 PM posted to microsoft.public.windows.vista.print_fax_scan
Malke[_2_]

SuperFreak wrote:

I really appreciate your efforts. But I still don't know how to add
that specific "Fax group" to the newly created SuperFreak "user's
membership". I need more help how to copy faxes from one Vista machine
to another.

It's weird that Microsoft publish their latest OS without the
possibility to copy the user's own faxes to a new PC with the same OS on
it.

What part of the instructions at those websites didn't you understand? You
obviously have got either Vista Business or Ultimate because the Windows
Faxing component isn't included in Vista Home Basic/Premium. Therefore you
can create groups and assign users to those groups.

I don't think it's a question of not being able to copy particular files. I
think it's a permissions issue possibly involving ownership and trying to
copy files to a protected directory to which your user has no access
rights. I also don't see where you've done what I suggested regarding
making the matching user accounts or looking in the Fax program to see if
there is an Import function.

Perhaps you should have someone who is knowledgeable take a look. This could
be a friend (one who is really knowledgeable and not just saying he is) or
a professional. I'm not sure what else I can do for you in a newsgroup
without being able to see the machine.

I'm sorry I was unable to help you.

Malke

Old July 15th 08, 04:18 PM posted to microsoft.public.windows.vista.print_fax_scan
SuperFreak[_5_]

Thank you for trying. I just need a step-by-step tutorial what to do
with which accounts/groups and permissions...

--
SuperFreak