Can I disable "Grouping" in Vista's Windows explorer??

Old September 4th 08, 09:53 AM posted to microsoft.public.windows.vista.file_management
VanZea

Default Can I disable "Grouping" in Vista's Windows explorer??

The prolem is Vista turns it on at random. I also never wan't to use this
feature, but an off switch is nowhere to be found, or doesn't work.

"Gordon" wrote:

"Bryan" wrote in message
For those of you who love this feature, please don't pollute my thread
with
proclamations of love for this feature. I'm looking for a serious
solution
to permanently turning it off, other than the "Apply to all folders" that
doesn't work. If you don't have a solution please refrain from
responding..

sigh JUST DON'T TURN IT ON...........DON'T USE IT if it bothers you that
much. I don't use it and it doesn't appear.....AT ALL......

Old September 17th 08, 02:58 AM posted to microsoft.public.windows.vista.file_management
catlovingdoc

I, too, hate grouping and seem unable to kill it. I think Microsoft Update
may be trashing my laborious saving of my preferred template to each of the
so called types of explorer windows (document, pictures, etc.) Like Bryan, I
use my computer to work, not play: not edit video, not create multimedia
experiences, but WORK. I wish Vista would just let me work. If you do find a
permanent across the board way to kill grouping, please share it here.

Old September 17th 08, 07:42 PM posted to microsoft.public.windows.vista.file_management
Wandering[_2_]

I know of no way to stabilize Vista Folder Properties, or those of any other
version of Windows since 3.11. But you can delete the "type" column in the
windows you are concerned with, and then it will no longer group on type.
Good luck.

You could make this the default for all folders, but I can't promise it will
stick.

Old December 22nd 08, 05:26 PM posted to microsoft.public.windows.vista.file_management
eodeo

I 100% agree with Bryan. I AM freeking annoyed at Vista for randomly
deciding to turn this "lovely" feature on. I'd like to deinstall its
subroutines so that my 640gb hdd doesnt have to suffer pollution of 50kb
of information that randomly decides to throw me into random noob
windows user category.

I'd like to disable/uninstall/dump/never think of/ again of this
feature.

If anyone knows a REAL way to disable it, please do tell.

p.s. setting it in folder options and applying to all folders does
NOTHING but aggravate the unsuspecting victim trying it out. Vista just
suddenly remembers it has this "brilliant", new feature that I haven't
tried in couple of days and turns it on by itself...

I like Vista overall.. but this is driving me nuts.

--
eodeo
eodeo's Profile: http://forums.techarena.in/members/eodeo.htm

http://forums.techarena.in

Old February 4th 09, 04:40 AM posted to microsoft.public.windows.vista.file_management
keisaa

Hi

Having searched for a solution some time, too, I found this
http://social.technet.microsoft.com/...-573a88410eb6/
discussion, and marked out the fact, which com64 pointed out: *Apply to
all folders OF THIS TYPE*.

I checked and customized the folder type, disabled grouping, edited
tags in details view, and it seems to work. Haven't boot the computer
yet, though.

This article
http://www.winhelponline.com/blog/fi...windows-vista/
had also some useful registry keys.

Hope these will help.

Most of the time I prefer Vista over XP, but there's some annoying
features. I like Office 2007 over older versions, too, but there's also
some stuff, which were - in my opinion - better in Office2003 (like
categories and advanced search in Outlook, user interface in Access..).
Haven't tried Windows 7 yet - mainly because of the hussle with
bootmanager in WinXP,Vista,Win2k8 multi-boot - but I've heard, it's not
bad.

--
keisaa
keisaa's Profile: http://forums.techarena.in/members/keisaa.htm

Old February 24th 09, 12:26 PM posted to microsoft.public.windows.vista.file_management
mjtihen

I too would like to disable this group by feature, but nothing I've read
seems to directly address that. I'm sure it's a really cool feature, but
it's not for me.
Basically when I move my mouse up to drag a column width bar this thing
gets in the way. I don't want to have to focus my attention on precision
clicking to ensure I grab the right vertical bar. I want it to go away!

When I click "Group By" in the folder area itself, there is no "none"
option as I read somewhere. I'll worry later about trying to get this to
apply to all folders, which sounds like it's going to be an equal
nightmare lol

--
mjtihen
Old April 10th 09, 02:39 PM posted to microsoft.public.windows.vista.file_management
Michael_S

Forgive me for resurrecting a mostly dead discussion thread, but I want
to shed some light on the situation:

In the 'Details' view in Vista, the end of each column name has a tiny
section you can click for a drop down box that lets you configure the
column and column grouping. I strongly suspect that everyone who seems
to get 'Grouping' turned on at random is accidentally clicking that
column and a group option together in a fraction of a second while they
are attempting to change the column length. You cannot, as far as I
can tell, disable those column helpers.

That's definitely the problem that has been driving me crazy. I shut
off grouping for all directories, and then when I need to resize a
column to see more information I click the wrong thing and *poof* I'm
grouping in some irritating and unintentional fashion.

I can't ditch Vista, I need it for testing software compatibility.
But I have ditched explorer. Back to ye olde command prompt for all
file navigation.

--
Michael_S
Michael_S's Profile: http://forums.techarena.in/members/88929.htm

Old May 27th 09, 02:59 PM posted to microsoft.public.windows.vista.file_management
lidali

First of all: Brian you are my god to post this message (and totally
agree with whatever you said and more!), Keisaa you are my god to come
with the answer.

Still hoping for a permanent solution.

Michael_S: I don't have that drop down box there (never seen it??) as I
have my own columns as I put them up myself and STILL it polutes my
screen with groups. Sort of about right after I forgot how to turn them
off again... popping up here and there "THINKING" for me. I hate
programs who THINK for me as if everybody is a F*** noob.

Same for me, I need windows for my work. It would be great if the next
version came with a "Stop thinking for me"-button.

Thanks again!

--
lidali
lidali's Profile: http://forums.techarena.in/members/101552.htm

Old June 19th 09, 02:12 PM posted to microsoft.public.windows.vista.file_management
Pete_

Thank you. I found this and now I know I'm not alone.

At least once a week I change folder view to "Details" and go "Apply to
all
folders". It's a complete bleedin' joke.

All I want is to work at my computer without it trying to tell me what
I should do.
I don't want sounds, videos, or galleries and I certainly don't want 15
different
unrecognizable programs trying to get through my firewall every day
(why the
heck does disc defragmentor need access to the internet??)

Why did I not just follow my instincts and transfer XP?

--
Pete_
Pete_'s Profile: http://forums.techarena.in/members/107148.htm

Old August 17th 09, 05:28 PM posted to microsoft.public.windows.vista.file_management
ByteMeMicrosoft

I agree with all the "hate" posts. Sure wish Microsoft would leave well
enough alone or provide a way to use old formats. I am very interested
in a solution to this problem if anyone has found one. Possible a
Registry entry?
Hoping for a solution!

Bryan;3855336 Wrote:
I would like to completely disable the "Group By" and file grouping in
Windows Explorer in Vista. I detest this ill-conceived "feature" .

I' ve seen articles on how to "reset" the views so they stick and
they're
only temporary solutions as Vista eventually start grouping again..
I'm **S
I C K** of this so-called feature and it does nothing but hamper my
work
efficiency and lower my productivity.. No I don't want to learn how to
use
it. I want it turned O F F and to N E V E R return.

Give me the option to turn this idiot-inspired feature off please! I'm
SICK
of turning it off.

God I hate Vista! ...aka Windows ME (squared)..

--
ByteMeMicrosoft
ByteMeMicrosoft's Profile: http://forums.techarena.in/members/125881.htm