Power problem

Old July 13th 08, 12:33 PM posted to microsoft.public.windows.vista.hardware_devices
Steve Paddock[_2_]

Default Power problem

Not exactly a Vista issue, but as my OS, I thought I'd take a chance.

The PC that my Grandchildren use has just lost all power. This was after a
straightforward powerdown/up. There is no power to anything, case fans, disk
drives etc. I have so far ruled out, fuse in plug, plug socket and finally
power supply on the PC - I've swopped that with one I know is working. All
connections on the MB are secure and there is nothing in the MB manual.

Anyone any ideas please.

Thanks,

Steve

Old July 13th 08, 12:55 PM posted to microsoft.public.windows.vista.hardware_devices
Mickey Mouse

If you have checked your connections, then it's time to replace the power
supply. Don't go less than 400W. How did you rule out the power supply.
1 Power (mains) to the power supply
2 Power supply to the motherboard
3 Motherboard to the CPU
4 Motherboard to peripherals
Does the fan on the CPU start up, No? Probably the power supply.
Does anything at all appear to have power, No? Probably the power supply
If you throw a glass of water in there does it go bang Yes? Definitely now a
power supply problem.

Mickey

Old July 13th 08, 01:21 PM posted to microsoft.public.windows.vista.hardware_devices
Mike Hall - MVP[_3_]

"Steve Paddock" wrote in message
Not exactly a Vista issue, but as my OS, I thought I'd take a chance.

The PC that my Grandchildren use has just lost all power. This was after a
straightforward powerdown/up. There is no power to anything, case fans,
disk drives etc. I have so far ruled out, fuse in plug, plug socket and
finally power supply on the PC - I've swopped that with one I know is
working. All connections on the MB are secure and there is nothing in the
MB manual.

Anyone any ideas please.

Thanks,

Steve

Your next project may be to change out the motherboard..

--
Mike Hall - MVP
How to construct a good post..

Old July 13th 08, 01:47 PM posted to microsoft.public.windows.vista.hardware_devices
skunksmash[_34_]

dead PSU.....

you could buy one of these maybe......'HighTech PSU Silent Big Fan
TRUST 350W PW-5100 SATA Con on eBay, also ATX Standard Power Supplies,
Power Supplies, Desktop PC Components, Computing (end time 13-Jul-08
20:00:00 BST)'
(http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/HighTech-PSU-S...1 50267495189)

im guessing they're not enthusiasts so this will be fine they can be
bought for less but you risk being back where you started if it fails
again

pretty simple fix

*'How to Install an ATX Power Supply'
(http://www.wikihow.com/Install-an-ATX-Power-Supply)*

Installing an ATX power supply in a new computer case or an old
computer case. You will need a screw driver set and possibly wire
cutters.
*Steps*

- Unplug the power from the ATX power supply, if there is currently a
power supply installed in the computer.
- Remove the side panel from the computer tower. These are usually
shut by thumb screws, which you can easily remove, but you may require
a Phillips head screw driver.
- Assess the position of the current power supply in the case. That
is, is it installed length-wise, or width-wise?
- Unplug all connections from the power supply to components in the
computer.
- Remove the screws from the power supply at the rear of the case.
- Slowly and carefully remove the power supply.
- Take the new power supply and work it into the position of the old
power supply.
- Reinstall the screws that hold power supply in the case.
- Return all power connections to devices in the computer.
- Plug in the power supply.
- Turn on the computer and boot.
- Turn off the computer.
- Return the side panel to the computer and reinstall screws to hold
side panel in place.

what motherboard is it...?

--
skunksmash

E2180 @ 3.2ghz
arctic cooler pro 775
4GB gskill HZ @ 1050mhz
Asus P5K premium
160GB seagate 7200
coloursit 600w psu
PNY 8800GT 512mb
Old July 13th 08, 01:58 PM posted to microsoft.public.windows.vista.hardware_devices
w_tom

On Jul 13, 8:33*am, "Steve Paddock"
wrote:
The PC that my Grandchildren use has just lost all power. This was after a
straightforward powerdown/up. There is no power to anything, case fans, disk
drives etc. I have so far ruled out, fuse in plug, plug socket and finallypower
supplyon the PC - I've swopped that with one I know is working. All
connections on the MB are secure and there is nothing in the MB manual.

From information provided, no one can answer with anything but wild
speculation. The simplest answer and only one that will also elicit
replies from the better informed means using a meter (so ubiquitous
and simple as to be sold even in K-mart and Lowes - best price may be
Wal-Mart). A less than two minute procedure is "When your computer
dies without warning....." starting 6 Feb 2007 in the newsgroup
alt.windows-xp at:
http://tinyurl.com/yvf9vh
Connector chart to locate each color:
http://www.hardwarebook.net/connecto.../atxpower.html

In your case, most important information is from purple, green, and
gray wire both before and when power switch is pressed. Post those 3
digit numbers here. A power supply 'system' is more than just a
supply. Power controller could be defective. Switch could have gone
bad. Perfectly good supply in one system may be complete defective in
another. Power cord defective. All that and more answered in but a
minute by taking numbers with the meter.

The best procedure is the only one that provided definitive
answers. It is also the fastest solution. Don't shotgun.
Old July 13th 08, 02:24 PM posted to microsoft.public.windows.vista.hardware_devices
Steve Paddock[_2_]

Thanks for all the hints and tips - really appreciated

Being an electronic/electrical numb nuts, I have ruled out the option of
using a meter. I am more likely to cause more damage than fix anything.

I have acquired a second hand mother board which I will give a go now.

I will post back the result

Steve

Old July 13th 08, 04:20 PM posted to microsoft.public.windows.vista.hardware_devices
Colin Barnhorst[_2_]

[...]

I suggest you replace both

Old July 13th 08, 06:19 PM posted to microsoft.public.windows.vista.hardware_devices
Steve Paddock[_2_]

Problem now resolved. A third Power Supply did the trick (second one was
faulty as well!!)

Many thanks for the help and advice

Old July 14th 08, 03:36 AM posted to microsoft.public.windows.vista.hardware_devices
w_tom

On Jul 13, 10:24*am, "Steve Paddock"
wrote:
Being an electronic/electrical numb nuts, I have ruled out the option of
using a meter. I am more likely to cause more damage than fix anything.

Far more dangerous is swapping a power supply or replacing a
motherboard. Using a multimeter is about the least dangerous task.
Even disconnecting an AC power cord can be more hazardous.

Why use the meter? First, it is the least likely suggestion to
create more damage. Damage using the meter is all but immpossible.
More damage by doing other suggestions can make problems exponentially
more complex. Second, a multimeter provides useful answers faster
than any other suggestion. And third, a digital multimeter means
those who really know computers can post a useful answer.

A third power supply was installed. Is it working? A defective
power supply can still boot a computer. Only way to know: 30 seconds
with a multimeter. Was that second supply defective - or just not
sufficient for your one system? Had the meter measured that second
supply before removing it, then you would know whether to trash that
second supply or keep it for another computer.

If a meter scares you, then never touch an Ipod or cell phone. Both
are far more complex, cost significantly more, and are just as
likely to create harmful damage. A multimeter is about as difficult
to use as a hammer. Ironically, it is sold in stores that also sell
hammers because the meter is that simple.