Scanner Software not compatible with Vista

Old July 13th 08, 03:30 PM posted to microsoft.public.windows.vista.print_fax_scan
jerry d.

Default Scanner Software not compatible with Vista

I have an Hp Scanjet 4670. The included software is not compatible with Vista
Home Premium 32 bit. I can access it through my Digital Photo program but am
limited in it's use. HP has informed me there are no updates for this
particular scanner at this time. The scanner is only 3 years old and I am
well satisified with it's performance. Are there any 3rd party software
available to help with this problem? Tried Paint, doesn't work to well. Any
suggestions well be greatly appreciated. I'm somewhat a novice with
computing.
jerry d.
Old July 13th 08, 04:57 PM posted to microsoft.public.windows.vista.print_fax_scan
Ken Blake, MVP

On Sun, 13 Jul 2008 08:30:23 -0700, jerry d.
wrote:

I have an Hp Scanjet 4670. The included software is not compatible with Vista
Home Premium 32 bit. I can access it through my Digital Photo program but am
limited in it's use. HP has informed me there are no updates for this
particular scanner at this time. The scanner is only 3 years old and I am
well satisified with it's performance. Are there any 3rd party software
available to help with this problem? Tried Paint, doesn't work to well. Any
suggestions well be greatly appreciated. I'm somewhat a novice with
computing.

I had to read your message a couple of times before I understood (I
think) what you were asking.

Apparently you're looking for programs to edit graphic images. Is that
correct?

If so, bear in mind that this has nothing to do with "scanner
software." You can edit graphic images regardless of whether you got
them from your scanner, E-mail, your digital camera, downloaded from
the web, or anywhere else. Your scanner may have come bundled with
such software, but it's not really part of the scanner in any way, or
limited to use with it.

Microsoft Paint, as you've found out is a very primitive program. The
industry standard program for doing this kind of work is Adobe
Photoshop. However, it's very expensive and learning how to use it is
an effort.

Here are two other very good, and much less expensive, choices:

1. Adobe Photoshop Elements (does much, but not all, of what the full
Photoshop does).

2. Corel Paint Shop Pro.

Please Reply to the Newsgroup
Old July 13th 08, 11:45 PM posted to microsoft.public.windows.vista.print_fax_scan
huwyngr

Assuming that Ken's:

Apparently you're looking for programs to edit graphic images. Is
that correct?*

is not the case and you are trying to get the scanner running then if
you go to:

http://welcome.hp.com/country/us/en/...isplay=drivers

and enter Scanjet 4670 in the box it will take you to a page with a
list of operating systems including VISTA -- click on that and it will
take you to a place to download the driver about which it says:

This is the minimum driver required for basic WIA functionality.
This driver enables scanning with the Windows Photo Gallery on Windows
Vista or the Scanner and Camera Wizard on Windows XP. Scanning can also
be done with a variety of 3rd party scanner enabled applications.

You might find that some features are no longer available when using
this basic driver. We are sorry to inform you that a full feature
driver for Windows Vista or Windows XP Professional x64 Edition will
not be available for your HP product in the future. You can upgrade to
an HP product that is fully compatible with Windows Vista or Windows XP
Professional x64 Edition if additional features are necessary.

Have you tried this? If the scanner is connected by USB you must
install the software before you lug he USB cable into the PC.

If you did not then uninstall any HP software you see in Remove
Programs and delete any icons for the scanner you see in the Printers
and Faxes folder. Reboot the PC and start again.

If this does not work, try installing the XP software that you can
navigate to and download -- save it on your hard drive and after
cleaning up as described above, right mouse click on the file you
downloaded and choose Properties / Compatability TAB and check the box
against XP with SP2 and check against Run as Administrator and OK your
way out so that the file runs under those conditions.

If that does not work then you are out of luck -- the scanner itself is
some 5 years old which is a long time with computers although I am
running some older hardware.

Old July 14th 08, 01:35 AM posted to microsoft.public.windows.vista.print_fax_scan
jerry d.

I'm not looking for a photo editing program. I can access photos in the
scanner with my current photo editing program. I'd like a program that will
permit me to size and set the resolution pryor to scanning. Also, be able to
use the scanners document scanning stright to the printer.

--
jerry d.

Old July 14th 08, 09:54 PM posted to microsoft.public.windows.vista.print_fax_scan
Cari \(MS-MVP\)

Try Vuescan at www.hamrick.com. You can download a trial version and if you
like it, and it performs to your satisfaction, you can then purchase it.
--
Cari (MS-MVP) Printing & Imaging
www.coribright.com/windows