Vista Banter

-   -   DVD for 64 bit vista? (do any even exist? (http://www.vistabanter.com/133095-dvd-64-bit-vista-do-any-even-exist.html)

idiotprogrammer July 14th 08 05:09 PM

DVD for 64 bit vista? (do any even exist?

Hi, I just learned that my DVD writer is having compatibility problems
with 64 Vista SP 1.

What it can do:
play music CDs
install programs

What it can't do:
rip mp3s from music
burn DVDs.

I have a LH-20A1L with SATA connections.

http://us.liteonit.com/us/index.php?...05&Item id=67
(I downloaded the latest firmware dated March 2008).

First, I thought CD/DVD writers had generic drivers. Am I wrong?

Finally I looked at the Windows vista compatibility tool, selected 64
bit and saw absolutely not a single DVD RW writer that supported 64
bit Vista. Could this be possible?
http://www.microsoft.com/windows/com...%2f%20DVD%2fRW

Robert Nagle
idiotprogrammer
Houston, TX

Colin Barnhorst[_2_] July 14th 08 07:05 PM

"idiotprogrammer" wrote in message
Hi, I just learned that my DVD writer is having compatibility problems
with 64 Vista SP 1.

What it can do:
play music CDs
install programs

What it can't do:
rip mp3s from music
burn DVDs.

I have a LH-20A1L with SATA connections.

http://us.liteonit.com/us/index.php?...05&Item id=67
(I downloaded the latest firmware dated March 2008).

First, I thought CD/DVD writers had generic drivers. Am I wrong?

Finally I looked at the Windows vista compatibility tool, selected 64
bit and saw absolutely not a single DVD RW writer that supported 64
bit Vista. Could this be possible?
http://www.microsoft.com/windows/com...%2f%20DVD%2fRW

Robert Nagle
idiotprogrammer
Houston, TX

Check your newsreader or web browser. You have posted this same one twice
before (a long time back).

idiotprogrammer July 14th 08 08:50 PM

DVD for 64 bit vista? (do any even exist?

Not exactly, I posted a general question about 9 months ago before I
bought any equipment. This time I am asking about why my DVD writer
doesn't work (also to point out the amazing fact that the Vista
Hardware Compatibility database shows 0 DVD writers with confirmed
support for 64 bit vista.

In the previous post I asked if SATA HD needed special drivers, and
the answer was that they did not.

Now my situation is: If SATA DVD Writers don't require special
drivers, what would be a reason why they wouldn't work in 64 bit
Vista?

Also, is there a more reliable source of what DVD writers are 64
friendly?

rj

Colin Barnhorst[_2_] July 14th 08 10:04 PM

DVD for 64 bit vista? (do any even exist?

"idiotprogrammer" wrote in message
Not exactly, I posted a general question about 9 months ago before I
bought any equipment. This time I am asking about why my DVD writer
doesn't work (also to point out the amazing fact that the Vista
Hardware Compatibility database shows 0 DVD writers with confirmed
support for 64 bit vista.

In the previous post I asked if SATA HD needed special drivers, and
the answer was that they did not.

Now my situation is: If SATA DVD Writers don't require special
drivers, what would be a reason why they wouldn't work in 64 bit
Vista?

Also, is there a more reliable source of what DVD writers are 64
friendly?

rj

Check the BIOS to see if the optical drives are in IDE mode, but not Legacy
IDE.