trying to find AUDIO CODEC down load for vista

Old July 16th 08, 08:13 PM posted to microsoft.public.windows.vista.music_pictures_video
Giselle

Default trying to find AUDIO CODEC down load for vista

Hello, I have a big problem I was given a little video camera as a gift for
my labor.
now when I am trying to down load all my delivery videos to my computer it is
telling me need audio codec??? what do I do?? I can not find anything that
will allow my videos to be seen... PLEASE HELP!!!!!
--
Gisy
Old July 16th 08, 08:44 PM posted to microsoft.public.windows.vista.music_pictures_video
Mark Blain

=?Utf-8?B?R2lzZWxsZQ==?= wrote in
:

Hello, I have a big problem I was given a little video camera as a
gift for my labor.
now when I am trying to down load all my delivery videos to my
computer it is telling me need audio codec??? what do I do?? I can
not find anything that will allow my videos to be seen... PLEASE
HELP!!!!!

Which codec does it say that you need?

Old July 18th 08, 12:26 AM posted to microsoft.public.windows.vista.music_pictures_video
zachd [MSFT]

Are you using Windows Vista Service Pack 1 yet? Service Pack 1 includes a
fix that allows Vista to play back audio on slightly malformed files that
certain video cameras produce. Vista without Service Pack 1 cannot play
those malformed files back.

(The source issue is WAVEFORMATPCM vs WAVEFORMATEX, more or less.)

--
Speaking for myself only.

Old July 18th 08, 06:35 AM posted to microsoft.public.windows.vista.music_pictures_video
Oscar

Hi Zach,

Here’s the story: Several months ago I received some home videos from my
brother. Family weddings, picnics, stuff like that. I don’t know what digital
camera he used. I don’t know what software he used, either, but it was on an
XP. Anyways, what I think he did was take long clips and cut them up into 2-6
minute clips. These clips when I got them were .wmv and they played fine on
XP’s WMP. (Version 10 and 11). But using Vista WMP 11, I could not fast
forward them whatsoever without WMP 11 coming up with an error (I think it
was an error that said my file was corrupted.) I had spent hours tweaking
every ToolOption in WMP 11, Googling for help, visiting your website,
downloading codecs that I didn’t really need, and other reasonable tweaks and
settings that I don’t even remember. Bottom line, the .wmv worked on XP WMP
but not Vista. To stop the hours of frustration, I used GOM as a workaround
to view them.

After reading your question tonight, I decided to try to “fix” one of those
home video clips by using Window Movie Maker. So, I exported a 2 ½ minute
clip into WMM, brought the clip onto the Timeline, did no editing and
immediately published it to computer HD. The original clip was about 9.7 MB.
The clip published by WMM was about 14.7 MB. Both retained their playing time
of about 2 ½ minutes. The WMM clip played beautifully on the Vista WMP 11. I
can pause it, fast forward. No problems. No error codes. It plays normally
like most every video clip that I’ve made using WMM.

So, what was the problem?
Since I know very little about the digital construction of video files, I’m
guessing that the clips my brother made lacked the correct headers or markers
that Vista WMP 11 is looking for. It seems to me that Vista WMP 11 is
decoding (looking at) the .wmv clips slightly different than XP’s WMP 11. Any
ideas what the decoding differences are between WMP 11 on XP and Vista?

BTW: Besides these home video clips, 95% of movies and videos that I play on
Vista WMP 11 work perfectly.

--
oscar

....Right click is your best friend...

Old July 21st 08, 09:42 PM posted to microsoft.public.windows.vista.music_pictures_video
zachd [MSFT]

If you point me to a URL (such as on yousendit or megaupload) pointing to
one of those files, I'll take a look. It's hard to say offhand where they
might have gone wrong.

Was Service Pack 1 on the system? That folds in a lot of great playback
fixes/updates that might have been relevant.

--
Speaking for myself only.
"oscar" wrote in message
[...]

home video clips by using Window Movie Maker. So, I exported a 2 minute
clip into WMM, brought the clip onto the Timeline, did no editing and
immediately published it to computer HD. The original clip was about 9.7
MB.
The clip published by WMM was about 14.7 MB. Both retained their playing
time
of about 2 minutes. The WMM clip played beautifully on the Vista WMP 11.

"zachd [MSFT]" wrote:

Are you using Windows Vista Service Pack 1 yet? Service Pack 1 includes
fix that allows Vista to play back audio on slightly malformed files that
certain video cameras produce. Vista without Service Pack 1 cannot play
those malformed files back.

(The source issue is WAVEFORMATPCM vs WAVEFORMATEX, more or less.)

--
Speaking for myself only.
rights.

Old July 21st 08, 11:40 PM posted to microsoft.public.windows.vista.music_pictures_video
Oscar

Hey Zach,

Thanks for the reply.

Regarding SP1: The update made no difference. Before or after. Even after
updating BIOS and drivers.

I’ve never used the URL’s that you mentioned. I’ll take a look.

I have another thought. I haven’t tested these files on another Vista. I’ll
try to do that. Maybe, it’s my machine- Sony Vaio, Vista Home Premium, SP1.
(Damaged or corrupt program files?)

At this point since I have a fix for those video files, I’m just now curious
as to what those files were lacking for Vista WMP11.

One more question Zach: have any idea why .mp3 and .wav audio formats aren’t
working
In WMM and WDVD Maker or is it just my Vista Laptop that’s screwing up?
DVDMaker slide show and WMM with photos and imported audio work great as long
as I use .wma audio files.

Again, thanks for the reply.

Love your website…

Cheers…

Old July 22nd 08, 12:17 AM posted to microsoft.public.windows.vista.music_pictures_video
zachd [MSFT]

I don't know why you're having issues with WMM/DVD Maker - that seems
irregular and as if there's something wrong with your system. Again, that's
always a useful thing to double-check on a second system if possible. =\

--
Speaking for myself only.