WMP 11 wont play any videos anymore - Help! :(

Old July 17th 08, 04:34 AM posted to microsoft.public.windows.vista.music_pictures_video
Gonzo

Default WMP 11 wont play any videos anymore - Help! :(

I am running Vista and recently my WMP 11 quit working with any videos, even
ones it used to play before. It's been a whlie since I tried to watch videos
so I don't know the moment it happened.

I have tried to install and uninstall many codec packs (K-lite, divx, xvid,
ace, etc). The videos play fine in the Divx player, but when they play in
WMP11 I get only audio, no video.

I have even tried to play older videos that I know worked previously with
WMP 11. These videos also play OK on my desktop running Vista.

Thanks in advance...
Old July 17th 08, 03:23 PM posted to microsoft.public.windows.vista.music_pictures_video
Oscar

"It's been a whlie since I tried to watch videos
so I don't know the moment it happened"

System restore to a point when you knew it was working.
--
oscar

....Right click is your best friend...

Old July 18th 08, 02:13 AM posted to microsoft.public.windows.vista.music_pictures_video
Gonzo

Oscar,

Thanks for the help but I dont know when it was last working because its
been a long time.... and.... "It's been a while..." ie. I have no restore
points going back that far.

Old July 19th 08, 09:27 PM posted to microsoft.public.windows.vista.music_pictures_video
Gonzo

I've discovered a new twist. I can play the videos in Windows Photo Gallery,
just not in WMP. Also the movie icons are able to display WMP's thumbnail of
each movie when looking through the directories.

Old July 25th 08, 07:07 PM posted to microsoft.public.windows.vista.music_pictures_video
zachd [MSFT]

ACE would just make things worse. It and Nimo are the most incompetent
unsupported dead codec packs out there.

Since this *had* worked, there was no reason at all that you needed a codec
pack, and they would have just made things worse.

I would attempt to deal with this, but after installing that ghoulash of
codec packs, you kind of have done some serious damage to your system's
configuration, so a System Restore would be the only way to really get back
before that damage.
The thumbnail handler and WPG are handled slightly differently.

I would have suspected that this started out as a video card driver issue,
but it'd be hard to guess what state your system is in now. ACE installs a
bunch of horrible stuff that will crash all over the place - make sure to
use the Problem Reports and Solutions Center since generally there are

Speaking for myself only.