Vista and USB HUBs?

Old July 20th 08, 05:59 PM posted to microsoft.public.windows.vista.hardware_devices
LR

Default Vista and USB HUBs?

Hi

I have had a strange issue with USB HUB's for some time now, both without
and with SP1. I'm using Vista Ultimate on a DELL XPS 1210. The problem is
that devices connected to the USB HUB seems to stop working after some time.
It is seen with my: PDA (sync doesn not work), Mouse (sometimes hangs for a
second or 2), Keyboard (reppeeeeeeeats letters quite often), USB key (not
recognized). Ifi then reboot the PC it sometimes works again for a while.
Sometimes i can also cure the problem for the current failing device by
moveing it to anther port on the HUB. I have tried 3 different brands of USB
hubs, and all shows same issues. If i connect the device directly to the PC,
the device works flawlessly. As i only have 4 USB ports in the PC, that is
not a usable solution.

I have seen that isssues with Vista and USB hubs have been mentioned before,
but did not find a solution.

Anybody got an idea of how to get rid of this anoying problem?

br Lars

Old July 20th 08, 06:47 PM posted to microsoft.public.windows.vista.hardware_devices
Steve Thackery[_2_]

That would drive me nuts. Unfortunately this isn't of any help, but I'm
running two different hubs on my Vista machine and they have never, not
once, caused problems.

I'm only telling you this so you know you have some hope of fixing it :-)

SteveT

Old July 20th 08, 08:01 PM posted to microsoft.public.windows.vista.hardware_devices
Colin Barnhorst[_2_]

"LR" wrote in message
[...]

Older hubs may not work right with Vista even though they did with XP.
Also, there are two general kinds of hubs. One kind provides power for the
connected devices and the other does not. Often a laptop cannot provide
sufficient power to an unpowered hub to support a lot of devices being
connected at the same time. Bottom line: use a powered hub that is
certified for Vista.

Old August 13th 08, 01:37 AM posted to microsoft.public.windows.vista.hardware_devices
Drew

I kind of have this problem with my Logitech Ultra cam webcamera.. after a
few days it disappears from my system and when I unplug it (usb) and plug it
back in it shows up and is ready to go.. It is plugged directly into the
motherboard usb's and is the only one (peripheral) that does this.. running
Vista Business sp1, any ideas ??

Old August 13th 08, 06:57 PM posted to microsoft.public.windows.vista.hardware_devices
tanuj_chadha[_8_]

Try to use externally powered USB hubs. The issue may be that the USB
hub could be using more power actually than the system can give. Due to
which the USB drive keeps on disappearing. Try to use an externally
powered USB hub & see if that helps.

--
tanuj_chadha
Old August 13th 08, 07:01 PM posted to microsoft.public.windows.vista.hardware_devices
hkancyr[_12_]

Yeah, I was wondering about that too. I have a few connected to vista
machines and they all work great, but they are externally powered.

--
hkancyr

Ultimate 64 QX6700 Badaxe2 6Gigs Corsair 6400 8800GTX 768 6X 500Gig 2X
160Gig Rosewill 950watt PSU BenQ 24in LCD
Old August 13th 08, 07:04 PM posted to microsoft.public.windows.vista.hardware_devices
tanuj_chadha[_8_]

There you go, you have answered your own question.

--
tanuj_chadha
Old August 13th 08, 08:56 PM posted to microsoft.public.windows.vista.hardware_devices
hkancyr[_12_]

Sorry Tanuj, not my question. I was just reading and was wondering why I
hadn't had this problem which I used to have with XP. Just an
observation confirming your resolution to this problem is probably
correct.