Toshiba M305D-S4830 DVD drive disappears

Old July 22nd 08, 05:00 PM posted to microsoft.public.windows.vista.hardware_devices
Filthgrinder

Default Toshiba M305D-S4830 DVD drive disappears

I just bought the Toshiba M305D-S4830 which has Vista Home Premium 64bit
installed.

The drive keeps disappearing. When it is working and I open up Device
Manager, it suddenly refreshes and the drive is gone.

No error message, the drive is just gone. It cannot be ejected, but the
light on it is flashing all the time.

A reboot brings the device back, but only for a random amount of time.

Please help.

--
Filthgrinder
Old July 22nd 08, 05:17 PM posted to microsoft.public.windows.vista.hardware_devices
motarola2[_17_]

well, if it cannot be ejected by using the button, could be a hardware
problem, such as a loose connection or a defective drive.

softwarewise, you could uninstall the driver from device manager when
it is actually there, and reboot so that windows loads the driver again
automatically for it.
you can try to access safe mode, and see if the issue happens in there
as well.
also, if you have itunes installed, that could be causing the drive to
dissapear.

--
motarola2
Old July 22nd 08, 05:23 PM posted to microsoft.public.windows.vista.hardware_devices
Carey Frisch [MVP]

Download and install the latest BIOS update:
http://www.csd.toshiba.com/cgi-bin/t...ceghdgngdgnn.0

--
Carey Frisch
Microsoft MVP

Old August 10th 08, 07:48 PM posted to microsoft.public.windows.vista.hardware_devices
CraigG

Just purchased this model yesterday and already my drive has done this very
same thing. Thank you for the support link however if you look closer at
that BIOS update you'll see the only version available is the same one that
comes factory installed on this model.

In otherwords.. there is unfortunately no BIOS "update" =/

There are no vendor specific drivers because Toshiba claim the windows
drivers are sufficient. A google search of the model that device manager
displays returns nothing. There are no support bulletins on this specific
issue either. I have a funny feeling it has to do with the generally poor
support for drivers on the x64 platform.

I hope a fix comes out soon or I'll be quickly working to get my money back.

Craig G