Desktop Search and special characters

Old August 1st 08, 09:22 PM posted to microsoft.public.windows.vista.file_management
doraz

Default Desktop Search and special characters

Hi, I need to search files or folders that have $ or § or # in the name
if I put a $ in the search box, I get near all the files in my hd... even if
they doesn't contain that char...
I use Vista (...), in XP with standard search (NOT desktop search) the
results were fine...
Any advice?!
thanks in advance

Old September 8th 09, 09:01 PM posted to microsoft.public.windows.vista.file_management
kristiambrose

doraz;792979 Wrote:
Hi, I need to search files or folders that have $ or § or # in the name
if I put a $ in the search box, I get near all the files in my hd...
even if
they doesn't contain that char...
I use Vista (...), in XP with standard search (NOT desktop search) the
results were fine...
Any advice?!
thanks in advance

Hm, Im not sure why this question wasnt "good" enough to be answered.
But frankly, its exactly the one I DO need answered.

I have files on my drive for my Vista that contains the special
character "{" (without quotes obviously). But for those of you that
know about vista you simply cannot do a start/search for that or any
other special characters because its considered a wildcard.

So how do WE fix this and find the files we need to find? Of course
the fella above me probably got his answer by now - but I need one as
well.

This is REALLY starting to annoy me lol. So if anyone can help it
would be appreciated.

Thanks
Kristi

--
kristiambrose

Old September 8th 09, 10:49 PM posted to microsoft.public.windows.vista.file_management
Retroman

On Tue, 8 Sep 2009 16:01:55 -0500, kristiambrose
wrote:
[...snip...]
I have files on my drive for my Vista that contains the special
character "{" (without quotes obviously). But for those of you that
know about vista you simply cannot do a start/search for that or any
other special characters because its considered a wildcard.

So how do WE fix this and find the files we need to find? Of course
the fella above me probably got his answer by now - but I need one as
well.

Kristi,

Actually, the problem is a little different. Search is now word-based,
not character based. Brackets are considered punctuation by Search, not
wild cards. To get meaningful results, queries that contain punctuation
must also contain words, a phrase, or a wild card. For example, If I
search on this:[*] or this: {*} I get a bunch of files that have a phrase
in their file name within brackets, just as I would expect. So give that
a try.

Doug M. in NJ