Computer memory amount keeps changing

Old August 7th 08, 04:05 AM posted to microsoft.public.win2000.hardware,microsoft.public.windows.vista.hardware_assessment,microsoft.public.windows.vista.hardware_devices,microsoft.public.windowsxp.hardware
__

Default Computer memory amount keeps changing

Hello All,

I don't know if this is Windows or hardware, but I have an old Dell laptop
and it came with 128 MB of RAM and I upped it to 384 with a 256 MB chip.
The problem is that every other reboot on average, it gives the "amount of
memory has changed" and it will go down to 128 or back up to 384. I would
wonder if the memory isn't tight in the slot but it's in a docking station
and not getting moved. Any ideas appreciated, the box is already slow at
384, at 128 it's just unbearable.

Old August 7th 08, 10:38 AM posted to microsoft.public.win2000.hardware,microsoft.public.windows.vista.hardware_assessment,microsoft.public.windows.vista.hardware_devices,microsoft.public.windowsxp.hardware
Rick Rogers

Hi,

Could be loose, try reseating it. Also could be a failing stick or slot in
the motherboard, so replacement may be the only viable option.

--
Best of Luck,

http://mvp.support.microsoft.com/
Windows help - www.rickrogers.org

"__" wrote in message
Hello All,

I don't know if this is Windows or hardware, but I have an old Dell laptop
and it came with 128 MB of RAM and I upped it to 384 with a 256 MB chip.
The problem is that every other reboot on average, it gives the "amount of
memory has changed" and it will go down to 128 or back up to 384. I would
wonder if the memory isn't tight in the slot but it's in a docking station
and not getting moved. Any ideas appreciated, the box is already slow at
384, at 128 it's just unbearable.

Old August 7th 08, 12:33 PM posted to microsoft.public.win2000.hardware,microsoft.public.windows.vista.hardware_assessment,microsoft.public.windows.vista.hardware_devices,microsoft.public.windowsxp.hardware
Gerry

Does the extra memory comply with the requirements specified in the
motherboard manual?

--

Hope this helps.

Gerry
~~~~
FCA
Stourport, England
Enquire, plan and execute
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

__ wrote:
Hello All,

I don't know if this is Windows or hardware, but I have an old Dell
laptop and it came with 128 MB of RAM and I upped it to 384 with a
256 MB chip. The problem is that every other reboot on average, it
gives the "amount of memory has changed" and it will go down to 128
or back up to 384. I would wonder if the memory isn't tight in the
slot but it's in a docking station and not getting moved. Any ideas
appreciated, the box is already slow at 384, at 128 it's just
unbearable.

Old August 7th 08, 09:37 PM posted to microsoft.public.win2000.hardware,microsoft.public.windows.vista.hardware_assessment,microsoft.public.windows.vista.hardware_devices,microsoft.public.windowsxp.hardware
Gerry

Bill

Only the OP can say. Without knowing what motherboard is being used we
can find out whether that is necessary.

--
Regards.

Gerry
~~~~
FCA
Stourport, England
Enquire, plan and execute
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

__ wrote:
Hello All,

I don't know if this is Windows or hardware, but I have an old Dell
laptop and it came with 128 MB of RAM and I upped it to 384 with a
256 MB chip. The problem is that every other reboot on average, it
gives the "amount of memory has changed" and it will go down to 128
or back up to 384. I would wonder if the memory isn't tight in the
slot but it's in a docking station and not getting moved. Any ideas
appreciated, the box is already slow at 384, at 128 it's just
unbearable.

Old August 10th 08, 05:11 PM posted to microsoft.public.win2000.hardware,microsoft.public.windows.vista.hardware_assessment,microsoft.public.windows.vista.hardware_devices,microsoft.public.windowsxp.hardware
__

It's a Latitude CPxJ, Pentium II. It'll only tell me the specific model
when I boot, I"ll post it once I reboot next. Ancient model in any event.
I don't know how to open it. I bought it used. I've opened laptops before
but they're rather like snowflakes, each one is different. I'll post what I
find.

__ wrote:
Hello All,

I don't know if this is Windows or hardware, but I have an old Dell
laptop and it came with 128 MB of RAM and I upped it to 384 with a
256 MB chip. The problem is that every other reboot on average, it
gives the "amount of memory has changed" and it will go down to 128
or back up to 384. I would wonder if the memory isn't tight in the
slot but it's in a docking station and not getting moved. Any ideas
appreciated, the box is already slow at 384, at 128 it's just
unbearable.

Old August 10th 08, 10:30 PM posted to microsoft.public.win2000.hardware,microsoft.public.windows.vista.hardware_assessment,microsoft.public.windows.vista.hardware_devices,microsoft.public.windowsxp.hardware
Gerry

http://support.euro.dell.com/support...ecs.htm#memory

You could run Dell Diagnostics
http://support.euro.dell.com/support...memory_modules

--

Hope this helps.

Gerry
~~~~
FCA
Stourport, England
Enquire, plan and execute
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

__ wrote:
J650GT BIOD A16

__ wrote:
Hello All,

I don't know if this is Windows or hardware, but I have an old
Dell laptop and it came with 128 MB of RAM and I upped it to 384
with a 256 MB chip. The problem is that every other reboot on
average, it gives the "amount of memory has changed" and it will
go down to 128 or back up to 384. I would wonder if the memory
isn't tight in the slot but it's in a docking station and not
getting moved. Any ideas appreciated, the box is already slow
at 384, at 128 it's just unbearable.

Old August 17th 08, 01:00 PM posted to microsoft.public.win2000.hardware,microsoft.public.windows.vista.hardware_assessment,microsoft.public.windows.vista.hardware_devices,microsoft.public.windowsxp.hardware
Rob[_18_]

if I remember right, back in this day mem had to be in pairs

so a 128+256 will give odd results. try getting another 256, shud be cheap, and chuck the 128

--
Q9450 OC'd 3.8GHz
4x 2GB 1066Mhz RAM 1:1