Cannot delete a file saved to my desktop

Old August 7th 08, 08:38 PM
lmbolton40 lmbolton40 is offline
Junior Member

Default Cannot delete a file saved to my desktop

A file was saved to my Vista desktop. It is a small drawing file (.dwg). About 102 KB in size. I can open it. However, I cannot delte it, copy it, or cut it. If I try to delete it, window pops up and says "RECYCLING 1 item". It churns and churns and churns. Nothing ever happens.

I can rename it. Doesn't help with anyting.

Is there any hope for me?

mbolton40
Old August 8th 08, 10:56 AM posted to microsoft.public.windows.vista.file_management
Mick Murphy

Try deleting it in Safe Mode.
--
Mick Murphy - Qld - Australia

Old August 8th 08, 05:18 PM posted to microsoft.public.windows.vista.file_management
Oscar

Did you try:

Right click file, Properties, Security tab, gain permisison to control or
delete file...
--
oscar

....Right click is your best friend...

Old August 9th 08, 09:44 PM posted to microsoft.public.windows.vista.file_management
Mike[_29_]

There are a couple of freeware programs that took care of "locked" file in
XP. Called "Unlocker" and "WhoLockMe." I haven't tried them in Vista. They
delete the file at next reboot. You might also check to see if there is any
process running that uses your dwg file. If so, try killing the process
before deleting.

Old August 9th 08, 09:56 PM posted to microsoft.public.windows.vista.file_management
Ramesh MVP[_4_]

Try to delete using *Command Prompt*

--
Ramesh MVP

'Ramesh Kumar' (http://itsmywindows.com)
Microsoft MVP
Windows Desktop Experience
Ramesh MVP's Profile: http://winvistaclub.com/forum/member.php?userid=17
View this thread: http://winvistaclub.com/forum/showthread.php?t=18498

Old August 12th 08, 05:37 PM
lmbolton40 lmbolton40 is offline
Junior Member

Unhappy

Tried *Command Prompt*. No good. Just sat there and nothing happened. Let it churn for a couple of hours. Nothing. Any other suggestions. Please help. I have some coleagues in my office with same problem.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ramesh MVP[_4_] View Post
Try to delete using *Command Prompt*

--
Ramesh MVP

'Ramesh Kumar' (it’s my Windows)
Microsoft MVP
Windows Desktop Experience
Ramesh MVP's Profile: Windows Vista Help Forum - View Profile: Ramesh MVP
View this thread: Cannot delete a file saved to my desktop - Windows Vista Help Forum
Old August 12th 08, 05:42 PM
lmbolton40 lmbolton40 is offline
Junior Member

Unhappy

Bit of a novice. How would I check for any process running that uses my dwg file? Would it be through the TASK MANAGER? Any help would be great.

Do you have a link to the freeware programs?

Thanks.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike[_29_] View Post

Old August 12th 08, 05:44 PM
lmbolton40 lmbolton40 is offline
Junior Member

Unhappy

When I right click file, and then click Properties... Nothing happens. Bad juju on my computer.

Quote:
Originally Posted by oscar View Post

"lmbolton40" wrote:

A file was saved to my Vista desktop. It is a small drawing file
(.dwg). About 102 KB in size. I can open it. However, I cannot delte
it, copy it, or cut it. If I try to delete it, window pops up and says
"RECYCLING 1 item". It churns and churns and churns. Nothing ever
happens.

I can rename it. Doesn't help with anyting.

Is there any hope for me?

mbolton40

--
lmbolton40

Last edited by lmbolton40 : August 12th 08 at 05:53 PM.
Old August 12th 08, 05:46 PM
lmbolton40 lmbolton40 is offline
Junior Member

Unhappy

Tried the SAFE MODE route. Nothing happend.

I believe my computer is laughing at me on this one.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mick Murphy View Post
Try deleting it in Safe Mode.
--
Mick Murphy - Qld - Australia

Old August 26th 08, 12:24 AM posted to microsoft.public.windows.vista.file_management
bjg123[_3_]

I've had problems deleting files on the Vista desktop more than once
now, and I've found a few solutions. All of my problems were for video
files, but perhaps the solution will be the same for you.

One possible answer is that the Windows Search feature is indexing the
file, which prevents you from deleting it. Try disabling the feature
via the Services tab of msconfig (type that into the Run window).
Restart, and see if you can delete the file.

Another possibility is that the Thumbnail generator built into Windows
is accessing the file but can't render a thumbnail. Try disabling
thumbnails altogether: in any folder, click Organize, Folder and Search
Options, the View tab, and check "always show icons, never thumbnails."
Restart (shouldn't need to, but just to be sure) and retry deleting.

If still no luck, you might try programs like Unlock (just google it)
that give you improved access to "in use" files. I haven't tried this
one, but others had good luck with it.

Now for a strange solution, one that saved me very recently: try to
delete the file, and wait for the "recycling" window to appear. While
it's up, press CTRL+ALT+DEL to bring up the Task Manager. Disable the
task explorer.exe and wait a moment; your desktop will disappear.
Reinable explorer.exe (click File, New Task, and type explorer.exe) and
your desktop will reappear. Right-click the desktop and choose refresh
(just to be sure). Now try to delete the file again. It worked for me!

Good luck!

--
bjg123