XP can't access files on Vista

Old August 8th 08, 05:15 AM posted to microsoft.public.windows.vista.networking_sharing
T.J.[_2_]

Default XP can't access files on Vista

Hi,
I have a home network with two computers connected via a router. My xp/sp3
box can't access the directory that I made public. On the Vista laptop in
network and sharing I set the password protected sharing to off. When I left
password protected sharing to on, I can't access anything on the laptop.
Setting the password protected sharing to off lets me see all of the shared
directories on my xp box. I can open the public directory and access files
with no problem, but when I open the other directory that I have shared i get
the following error "\\Laptop\pictures" is not available, you might not have
permission..." on my xp box when I try and open it.

Any suggestions?

Thanks,
Old August 8th 08, 08:13 AM posted to microsoft.public.windows.vista.networking_sharing
Mick Murphy

Below is the way I network them.
Have a read.

the SAME.

In Vista Network and Sharing:

File Sharing: ON

Docs)

work for XP machines!).

OR under Accessories Communications Network Setup Wizard Allow File
and Printer Sharing.

--
Mick Murphy - Qld - Australia

Old October 20th 08, 11:05 PM posted to microsoft.public.windows.vista.networking_sharing
swoopeluv

Hi all, I have this exact same problem also...My laptop with Vista on it
worked fine, really easy. But I can't seem to access my laptop on my XP
PC. I currently have my C: hard drive & the public folder shared (on my
laptop), but the Public folder offers full access, and when I try to
access the C: drive, I get this error:

\\[hard drive] is not accessible. You might not have permission to use
this network resource. Contact the Administrator of this server to find
out if you have access permissions. Access is denied.

Like the OP said, I turned off password protection & everything...i'm
guessing its an XP/Vista incompatibility, anyone have further help or
can point me in the right direction?

Thanks!

--
swoopeluv