antivirus 2008 XP

Old August 10th 08, 09:34 AM posted to microsoft.public.windows.vista.security
Sue

Default antivirus 2008 XP

Hi There
Has anyone had this appear on there computer I know its a rogue program but
how do I get rid of it.
Its a pest I have Norton Internet security 2008 but that does not report
this rogue program.
It just pops up everywhere and am afraid that it will compromise my system.
Any help would be helpful.
Thanks in advance

Sue

Old August 10th 08, 10:59 AM posted to microsoft.public.windows.vista.security
Peter Foldes

http://www.microsoft.com/security/po.../Antivirus2008

http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/malw...irus-2008-2009

How to remove XP Antivirus 2008, XP Antivirus 2009, and XPAntiVirus

--
Peter

Old August 10th 08, 01:46 PM posted to microsoft.public.windows.vista.security
Richard Urban

I have used the FREE version of MalwareBytes Anti Malware program to remove
this infection from six computers.

You can get it he http://www.malwarebytes.org/mbam.php

--

Richard Urban
Microsoft MVP

Old August 10th 08, 01:55 PM posted to microsoft.public.windows.vista.security
Sue[_6_]

Hi
Thanks everyone this has helped and cleared the nasty program
Thanks once angain
Sue
.. .

Old August 10th 08, 01:56 PM posted to microsoft.public.windows.vista.security
SCSIraidGURU

I just had it. Avast Pro removed three process files. You need to
remove the antivirus xp 2008 directory and registry entries in safe mode
and run a anti-virus scan in safe mode. Then, it also launched several
other trojans. Search and Destroy did an excellent job on killing other
ones. Look for a wininet.ini in your c:\windows directory. Open it.
If its a name of the virus, delete the ini and reboot. It took me 4
days to fight it off. I had UAC off. I turned UAC on and removed part
of the files. Turned UAC off and went into safe mode and removed more
with Trendmicro free scan, Avast Pro scan, and Search and Destroy.
Also, disable system restore because they hide in it. Delete your temp
file directories. Avast has one hiding in its temp file area.

--
SCSIraidGURU

Michael A. McKenney
'www.SCSIraidGURU.com' (http://www.SCSIraidGURU.com)

Supermicro X7DWA-N server board
pair of Intel E5430 quad core 2.66 GHz Xeons
16GB DDR667
SAS RAID
eVGA 8800 GTS 640 MB video card
Old August 11th 08, 04:52 AM posted to microsoft.public.windows.vista.security
Milo

For Advisory parallel to this concern

Its becoming common this days just be advised about links attached via
e-mails, IM message and private message on social networking site that point
out/convey links
and suddenly you can be prompted by a flash update, download or codec...
Anti-virus 2008 is just one of 3 end product malwares that comes with the
package the most visible on is ANtivirus 2008.

See this instances

http://blog.trendmicro.com/new-trojan-bait-cnn-videos/

Old August 12th 08, 01:27 PM posted to microsoft.public.windows.vista.security
oblique1

Hi,

I've also been infected with this .. yeah through an email from
microsoft.com .. should have been more alert I guess .. but anyway its way
from fixed.

I was able to disable the thing and delete part of it, but I think i've made
things worse somehow becaues bits and pieces of it are still hanging on ...

For example:

My desktop has been replaced by an Anti-virus message that I can't shift.
Also, I can no longer access my screen savers because when I go through
control panel to set the screen saver I get this message "Your system
administrator has disabled launching of the Display Settings Control Panel".
So I can't change any settings ... Its also now prompting me for passwords
every time i get an email .. JEEZ!!

I'm having trouble installing the malware program that was recommended ...

Can someone please put me in the right direction

thanks in advance for any good advice...

Old August 12th 08, 02:23 PM posted to microsoft.public.windows.vista.security
Kayman[_5_]

On Tue, 12 Aug 2008 06:27:00 -0700, oblique1 wrote:

Hi,
I've also been infected with this .. yeah through an email from
microsoft.com .. should have been more alert I guess .. but anyway its way
from fixed.
I was able to disable the thing and delete part of it, but I think i've made
things worse somehow becaues bits and pieces of it are still hanging on ...

How to remove Antivirus XP 2008 (Uninstall Instructions)
http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/malw...ivirus-xp-2008
--or--
XP (Vista) Antivirus 2008 Removal Instructions (Antivirus XP 2008)
http://www.xp-vista.com/spyware-remo...antivirus-2008
--or--
How to remove XP Antivirus 2008, XP Antivirus 2009, and XPAntiVirus
http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/malw...irus-2008-2009
and/or--
Malwarebytes© Corporation - Anti-Malware

In futu
Routinely practice Safe-Hex!
http://www.claymania.com/safe-hex.html
Hundreds Click on 'Click Here to Get Infected' Ad
Old August 12th 08, 03:56 PM posted to microsoft.public.windows.vista.security
Maurice N ~ MVP

Be extremely careful about any email that claims or appears to look to be
from Microsoft that has email attachments.
There are a number of fake emails from admin (at) microsoft (dot) com
MS never ever sends unsolicited items by email.

On the rogue message, if still present, use press and hold ALT key, then
press F4 function key to get it closed.

Since it appears you have residual infection issues, let me suggest you get
guided help.

Read the topmost directions at one of the following forums
and post your logs as required by that forum.
Do NOT post your logs here on the MS newsgroups.

http://aumha.net/viewforum.php?f=30,
http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/forum22.html,
http://forum.malwareremoval.com/viewforum.php?f=11
http://forums.spywareinfo.com/index.php?showforum=18
http://www.spywarewarrior.com/viewfo...hp?showforum=7, http://forums.spybot.info/forumdisplay.php?f=22or other appropriate forums for expert analysis, not here.**Make very sure you read and follow the very topmost instructions at theforum you have selected.--Maurice NMS-MVP--"oblique1" wrote in messagenews thanks in advance for any good advice...

Old August 12th 08, 06:42 PM posted to microsoft.public.windows.vista.security
John Barnett MVP[_3_]

Download and Install Malwarebytes Anti Malware. Run the application and this
should pick up and remove the problem. (www.malwarebytes.org)

John Barnett MVP
Associate Expert
Windows Desktop Experience