Old usb devices work fine,new usb devices would not install

Old August 12th 08, 11:01 PM posted to microsoft.public.windows.vista.hardware_devices,microsoft.public.windows.vista.general
Christopher Hume

Default Old usb devices work fine,new usb devices would not install

I'm sure I'll get it fixed eventually, one way or the other . I had
thought of running as a standard user for one account and an
administrator (for global maintenance work) as another, but had tried
that under XP and didn't work too well (most programs at the time
required administrator privileges). I hear it's very different under
Vista (i.e., much easier) but haven't tried it for fear of way too many
programs insisting on administrator privileges --- although I could try
it as it'd give me a chance to see if there's something wrong with my
current profiles and as you said, if any "bad" software or even "good"
software malfunctions, the damage to the OS will be minimal.

oscar wrote:
Christopher,

I'm sure you'll get it fixed.

With my XP computers I have reinstalled the OS once a year.

With my Vista Home Premium Sp1 machine (one year anniversary coming up), I
haven't seen any need to do so... so far. Knock wood.

Right now, I'm using two user accounts. One administrator account that I
only use for global maintenance work and a standard user account which I use
everyday. I think that using the standard user account with elevated
priveleges when needed helps keep the minimize damage to the OS in case some
"bad" software does its number.

Cheers...

Old August 13th 08, 04:19 PM posted to microsoft.public.windows.vista.general,microsoft.public.windows.vista.hardware_devices
Wandering[_2_]

"Christopher Hume" wrote in message
It is a multi-function printer and does indeed include a scanner. The
scanner portion refuses to install as Vista sees it as an unknown device
and I don't both to turn on the printer or plug it in until specifically
told by the installation routine per the instruction manual. During the
usual Vista has detected a new device, looking for drivers, installing
drivers, etc., it does not seem able to find the scanner portion of the
printer and after Vista gives up, the installation program does not
proceed further as it only gives me the option to cancel. The strange part
is the printer works fine on another PC with Vista SP1 (I'd install SP1 on
the PC giving me issues and no guarantee it'd fix my issues anyway, but
it's not available via Windows Update and as an aside, I'm not sure what's
causing it to be blocked from there -- thought it was my Sigmatel drivers,
but tried uninstalling those & rebooting, but SP1 still isn't offered by
Windows Update).

mikeyhsd wrote:
if this is a multi function printer.
for mine I have to install the scanner first then the printer.
not plugging in or turning on till after the printer and told to do so.
sounds like part of the function failed to install.

Some multifunction machines have a separate driver to install for the
scanner. They also come with scanner software, that sometimes includes the
driver. It is not unusual to find a Vista driver for the printer, but no
software for the scanner. Visit the mfg site, and don't download "the latest
driver" download the Vista Compatible drivers. Good luck.