New hard drive installation, complete nightmare

Old August 13th 08, 01:46 PM posted to microsoft.public.windows.vista.hardware_devices
DL

Default New hard drive installation, complete nightmare

You have to read your motherboard manual as to the bios setting required to
use your sata drives.
It maybe that you have to build an array, even if its JBOD, before the
drives become avilable.
Different motherboards have different ways of dealing with sata drives.

There isnt a Master/Slave configeration on a sata drive, but some sata
drives have a pin to force a Sata2 drive to be used on a Sata1 system

"J1mmy" wrote in message

Yes, I do not have a slave or master thing, if I did I would have set
that
first, but I didn't see one when installing.

Vista doesn't pick it up, BIOS does. Vista doesn't pick it up SATA or
RAID
regardless.

--
J1mmy

Old August 13th 08, 02:22 PM posted to microsoft.public.windows.vista.hardware_devices
R. C. White

Hi, J1mmy.

As I said in my earlier post, some of us are reading your messages on the
Microsoft public news server, where they have been forwarded from whatever
"forum" you are actually posting them to. That forum forwards your text,
but not any attachments. And when we click on the link you gave, we get to
the forum, but not to your specific message - unless we register on that
forum, which I am unwilling to do.

So those of us who are not registered members of that forum have no idea
what was in the attachments. We see only what has been relayed to the
Microsoft public news server, as I explained earlier.

In Disk Management's Help file, have you searched for "foreign disks".
Sometimes these have to be initialized.

Do these drives show anywhere in Vista? If you open an
Administrator:Command Prompt window and then run the DiskPart.exe shell, can
you see the drives there? If you boot into Safe Mode, are the drives there?
How about booting from the DVD and letting Setup get far enough to "see" the
empty drives? (I'm obviously grasping at straws here, but maybe they are
straws that you haven't tried yet.)

RC
--
R. C. White, CPA
San Marcos, TX

Microsoft Windows MVP

"J1mmy" wrote in message

Guys, I know how to prepare the drives for use by formatting etc. But
the problem is that it *ISN'T showing up in disk management or anything
of the type.*

Please look the the attachments I posted earlier to see what Vista
recognises about the drives.

--
J1mmy

Old August 13th 08, 03:19 PM posted to microsoft.public.windows.vista.hardware_devices
Tom ferguson

It seems I forgot you could see the drives in the BIOS but not see the
derives in Disk Management.

I cannot see any attachment you might have sent to the server that hosts the
original without registering. That, I will not do.

You stated a reluctance to prepare the HDs before use. I you were to
reconsider that, you could use something like Acronis Disk Director.

Perhaps you could post the attachments directly to the MS server through the
web interface or an NNTP client.
By NNTP, this is the link for this group -
NEWS://msnews.microsoft.com/microsof...rdware_devices

Good luck.
--

Tom
MSMVP 1998-2007

"Tom Ferguson" wrote in message
If these are new drives, they must be formatted to be seen in Computer
or used.

Navigate to Disk Management (Control Panel Administrative Tools
Computer Management {Click on Continue when you see the UAC dialogue}
Disk Management {in the left window}.

The two new drives should appear. Now, partition and format each drives
in turn by making the appropriate selections. Of course, be careful not to
modify your existing drives.

You might find that the drive letters assigned by default put the drives
after your CD devices. To avoid that, you might consider changing their
drive letters to, say, V (and W, &c) and reboot before dealing with the
new drives.

Also, since the drives are so large, you might want to set each up with
more than one partition.

"J1mmy" wrote in message

I initally bought a Hitachi 1TB drive to connect in SATA, that was
getting picked up by my BIOS, but not Vista. Vista only saw it an an
unknown device in task manager. I tried everything to get it picked up
as a drive...nothing.

Someone told me that it might be faulty, so I got another one sent out.
Now i have 2 of these drives, a total of 2TB connected onto my PC which
is running Vista Ultimate 64bit. The same problem, I even tried RAID, it
installed something upon first boot but nothing is in disk manager, my
computer or anything like that. It shows the RAID device in 'removable
hardware' but thats it, it also shows it as unknown in device manager.

I have tried to upgrade drivers and what not but it's the same, it is
DEFINITELY Vista, because I install XP and that pick up the drives
singularly.

I'm out of ideas, I heard that it might be fixed if i format and it
will pick up all drives, but I don't want to format and reinstall
everything, that will just be another headache!

--
J1mmy

Old August 13th 08, 06:36 PM posted to microsoft.public.windows.vista.hardware_devices
Timothy Davis [MSFT]

Hi J1mmy,

Please open device manager (devmgmt.msc), and under View menu, choose "view
devices by connection".

Find the hard drive there (as you mentioned before, it should be showing up
an an unknown device). Please obtain the hardwareIDs of both this hard
drive (properties -- details tab, both HardwareIDs and CompatibleIDs
values).

Please post the hardwareIDs of the device, as well as the parent storage
controller.

Old August 13th 08, 07:54 PM posted to microsoft.public.windows.vista.hardware_devices
J1mmy

Hi R. C. White,

I attempted to use the newsgroup but it wasn't sending my messages
through, but I can explain what was in the attachments.

With regards to the other posters, I doesn't appear the motherboard has
any special way of dealing with the drive. The array was built and was
reporting healthy in RAID. With SATA the drives were reported and SATA
enabled. There is not any further configuration than just enabling and
disabling SATA.

The drives are only acknowledged in the following locations, whether or
not they are actually acknowledged as drives is a separate question, but
they are seen as devices connected nevertheless:

* Safely remove hardware - the drives are listed here, they are NOT
assigned with any letter.

* They are in device manager under Other devices and have a question
mark next to the drive. All attempts to update the driver fails, online
and on the PC.

They ARE NOT seen in disk management, My Computer or any where else
that allows the user to interact with them

I have looked into the the foreign drives and other related issues, but
help expects the drives to be there already and wants the user to right
lock on them.

The drives are NOT listed in Diskpart either.

I shall test it out in Safe mode and report back.

I installed XP on one of the drives and as far as I can remember, all
the drives were listed there. I formatted the drive and went ahead with
the installation keeping the other drive intact, as soon as i switched
back to Vista (with the drive Still connected) the same problem was
there. So this isn't a format issue by the looks of things either.

Thanks.

--
J1mmy
Old August 13th 08, 07:57 PM posted to microsoft.public.windows.vista.hardware_devices
J1mmy

To see the attachment, take a look at 'Vista.jpg'
(http://www.imageox.com/share/321075-Vista.jpeg)

--
J1mmy
Old August 13th 08, 10:07 PM posted to microsoft.public.windows.vista.hardware_devices
J1mmy

Just an update, the Safe mode doesn't change anything, same old issue

Pressing F8 also displays the drives there, still nothing in Vista.

Also, when trying to upgrade the drivers, it says it finds it, but
encounters problems installing and applying them

--
J1mmy
Old August 13th 08, 10:26 PM posted to microsoft.public.windows.vista.hardware_devices
Curious[_4_]

Maybe you should do the following.
1. Shutdown and and disconnect the new drives.
2. Uninstall any RAID controllers your are using.
3. Connect one of the new drives and be sure that it shows up properly in
your BIOS
4. Boot normally and go to disk manager and see if you can format the drive
with NTFS format.
5.. If you can restart and see if the drive shows up normally in Visa.
6. If it does do the same think by installing the second new drive.

Old August 13th 08, 10:35 PM posted to microsoft.public.windows.vista.hardware_devices
cqui3

"J1mmy" a écrit dans le message de

Just an update, the Safe mode doesn't change anything, same old issue

Pressing F8 also displays the drives there, still nothing in Vista.

Also, when trying to upgrade the drivers, it says it finds it, but
encounters problems installing and applying them

--
J1mmy

When I have that problem with CD pr DVD drives (never had it with HD)
I uninstallthe IDE/ATA/ATAPI controller in the Device Manager.
When I reboot, everything works.

You may try it at your own risk (or without any risk if you have a backup
of your system. As for me, I never had any problem with that procdedure.

Old August 13th 08, 11:10 PM posted to microsoft.public.windows.vista.hardware_devices
Eric[_4_]

J1mmy wrote:
Just an update, the Safe mode doesn't change anything, same old issue

Pressing F8 also displays the drives there, still nothing in Vista.

Also, when trying to upgrade the drivers, it says it finds it, but
encounters problems installing and applying them

Do you see the SATA controller in device manager? Sounds like no device
driver for the controller is loaded..
Eric