New hard drive installation, complete nightmare

Old August 12th 08, 03:09 PM posted to microsoft.public.windows.vista.hardware_devices
J1mmy

Default New hard drive installation, complete nightmare

I initally bought a Hitachi 1TB drive to connect in SATA, that was
getting picked up by my BIOS, but not Vista. Vista only saw it an an
unknown device in task manager. I tried everything to get it picked up
as a drive...nothing.

Someone told me that it might be faulty, so I got another one sent out.
Now i have 2 of these drives, a total of 2TB connected onto my PC which
is running Vista Ultimate 64bit. The same problem, I even tried RAID, it
installed something upon first boot but nothing is in disk manager, my
computer or anything like that. It shows the RAID device in 'removable
hardware' but thats it, it also shows it as unknown in device manager.

I have tried to upgrade drivers and what not but it's the same, it is
DEFINITELY Vista, because I install XP and that pick up the drives
singularly.

I'm out of ideas, I heard that it might be fixed if i format and it
will pick up all drives, but I don't want to format and reinstall
everything, that will just be another headache!

--
J1mmy
Old August 12th 08, 06:49 PM posted to microsoft.public.windows.vista.hardware_devices
DL

If you added these drives as slave drives, then until you Format/Prepare
them they will not be available to use, or be seen by Vista.
But by the same token you may have to read your motherboard manual as to
whether any specific bios settings have to be set before the drive becomes
avilable

Old August 12th 08, 07:01 PM posted to microsoft.public.windows.vista.hardware_devices
R. C. White

Hi J1mmy,

What does Disk Management say about those hard drives? (diskmgmt.msc at a
Command Prompt - and you'll need the Administrator's password) Is either of
these drives designated in the BIOS as your boot device?

Vista has drivers for MOST SATA drives on the DVD, but not all. You may
need to contact Hitachi and ask about your drives. But sure to mention
Vista Ultimate x64.

HOW does your BIOS recognize the drives? Each BIOS is different, of course.
Mine (on an EPoX MF570sli mobo) allows me to enable or disable several
different features. When I get the right combination, my two single SATA
HDs show up on the first POST screen, but the 2 assigned to the RAID 1
mirror don't appear until the second boot-up screen. If you post the make
and model of your motherboard, perhaps someone here would recognize it and
know how to configure the board and the BIOS for your HDs.

Oh oh! I see you came into this Microsoft public newsgroup via the
vBulletin USENET Gateway. That means I probably won't see this whole
thread, because some messages might not get relayed from whichever "forum"
you are logged into. :( You could "cut out the middleman" and come
directly to this group, which is free and does not require you to log in, by
clicking here (or copy'n'paste the link into your browser):

RC
--
R. C. White, CPA
San Marcos, TX

Microsoft Windows MVP

Old August 12th 08, 07:19 PM posted to microsoft.public.windows.vista.hardware_devices
J1mmy

These are SATA drives and I cannot see any slave or master settings at
the back, unless they are hidden by some sort of casing, the drives I
have can be found he
'Amazon.co.uk: Hitachi Deskstar 7K1000 3.5\" 1TB SATA Hard Disk Drive
32MB Buffer - OEM: Electronics & Photo'
(http://www.amazon.co.uk/exec/obidos/ASIN/B001ARH794)

Formatting before use isn't a problem, bit of course I cannot format it
with it being seen in Vista.

Further, When I installed XP on one of the drives i formatted it before
install. So I think the drives need to been in Vista before any
preparation takes place. Remember that I cannot see these drives in disk
management either.

I have attached a few images as to what I see in relation to these new
drives.

|Filename: Vista.jpg |
|Download: http://www.vistax64.com/attachment.p...achmentid=5780 |

J1mmy
Old August 12th 08, 07:21 PM posted to microsoft.public.windows.vista.hardware_devices
johngalt

SATA drives and slave / Master are a thing of the past.

Most modern SATA drives are single connection drives - one drive per
connection on the motherboard.

However, if your motherboard is setup to use RAID, that is going to be
another story - you'll have to check your BIOS for that.

--
johngalt

_*-----*_-If_you_found_my_post_meritable,_show_me!

-__*Please_do_not_contact_me_via_PM_or_IM_for_help_-_post_it_in_the_forums_so_that_others_may_benefit_ from_solutions_that_may_be_found_/_offered.*_

*CPU:* Core 2 Quad 6600 G0 CPU @3.375 GHz
*Heatsink:* Tuniq Tower 120 LFB Cooler
*Motherboard:* eVGA 780i Motherboard
*PSU:* OCZ ModXStream 780W SLI Ready PSU
*Graphics Card:* eVGA 8800 GTS 512 KO edition GA
*RAM:* 2 X 2GB OCZ PC2-8000 ReaperX HPC RAM @ 500 MHz (1000
MHz Dual)
*HDs:* 2 X Seagate 500 GB 7200.11 RPM 32MB Cache HDs
*Optical:* SONY DRU-830A Dual Layer IDE DVD burner
*Extra:* Hauppage WinTV 1800 HVR TV Tuner card with Remote
*Case:* ThermalTake Armour case
*Monitors:* Dual Acer X312Wbd 21.6" Widescreen Active Matrix TFT with
2500:1 DC

http://picasaweb.google.com/johnlgalt/TheBeast
Old August 12th 08, 08:05 PM posted to microsoft.public.windows.vista.hardware_devices
J1mmy

My specs are Asus P5N32-E Plus

Disk management doesn't pick up anything at all, just my primiary C
drive
and any externals along with the DVD drive - thats all.

I contacted Hitachi, and they said they couldn't really help me, they
directed me to the mainboard company, even their website doesn't have
anything downloable drivers under their 'drivers' section. Not very
helpful.
Also, my primary drive is also a Hitachi, and when I view what drivers
it is
using, it appears to be using the drivers from the system32 folder. I
also
directed my upgrade driver to this folder but it failed, though it DID
say
it fould the drivers. I don't know if trying this in safe mode will
help.

With my BIOS, when it ISN'T in RAID mode, it picks up all drives and
reports
their location. When it's in RAID mode it' wont show the drives that
are in
the array, nor will it show that SATA port being used up. For eg, my 2

drives are in SATA 2+3 so it reports 1,4,5,6 (RAID MODE). In normal
SATA
mode, it will report all drives and ports.

--
J1mmy
Old August 12th 08, 08:05 PM posted to microsoft.public.windows.vista.hardware_devices
J1mmy

Yes, I do not have a slave or master thing, if I did I would have set
that
first, but I didn't see one when installing.

Vista doesn't pick it up, BIOS does. Vista doesn't pick it up SATA or
RAID
regardless.

--
J1mmy
Old August 12th 08, 08:42 PM posted to microsoft.public.windows.vista.hardware_devices
DDW[_2_]

On Tue, 12 Aug 2008 14:19:20 -0500, J1mmy
wrote:

Formatting before use isn't a problem, bit of course I cannot format it
with it being seen in Vista.

Have you installed the SATA controller drivers provided by your
motherboard mfr?
Old August 13th 08, 05:56 AM posted to microsoft.public.windows.vista.hardware_devices
Tom ferguson

If these are new drives, they must be formatted to be seen in Computer or
used.

Navigate to Disk Management (Control Panel Administrative Tools
Computer Management {Click on Continue when you see the UAC dialogue} Disk
Management {in the left window}.

The two new drives should appear. Now, partition and format each drives in
turn by making the appropriate selections. Of course, be careful not to
modify your existing drives.

You might find that the drive letters assigned by default put the drives
after your CD devices. To avoid that, you might consider changing their
drive letters to, say, V (and W, &c) and reboot before dealing with the new
drives.

Also, since the drives are so large, you might want to set each up with more
than one partition.

Old August 13th 08, 01:35 PM posted to microsoft.public.windows.vista.hardware_devices
J1mmy

Guys, I know how to prepare the drives for use by formatting etc. But
the problem is that it *ISN'T showing up in disk management or anything
of the type.*

Please look the the attachments I posted earlier to see what Vista
recognises about the drives.

--
J1mmy