RTHDVCPL.exe driver signing problem, Vista SP1

Old August 12th 08, 09:24 PM posted to microsoft.public.windows.vista.hardware_devices
Joe Auerbach

Default RTHDVCPL.exe driver signing problem, Vista SP1

After applying Vista SP1 on my Acer notebook, I started getting a popup
saying that this driver didn't have a valid digital signature. This is
support for the internal Realtek audio system (mic & speakers). Any thoughts
on either getting the correct files or else bypassing driver validation ?
Thanx,
Joe Auerbach

Old August 12th 08, 11:56 PM posted to microsoft.public.windows.vista.hardware_devices
arkitect[_3_]

This happens in Vista X64 because of driver signature enforcement.
RTHDVCPL.exe is nothing more than a executable for supporting a Realtek
control panel applet and has nothing to do with sound functionality. You
should be able to use 'Autoruns'
(http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/s.../bb963902.aspx) or
msconfig to disable the executable from executing at startup and the
error should not appear anymore.

--
arkitect

www.arkitect.tech.officelive.com
arkitect's Profile: http://winvistaclub.com/forum/member.php?userid=60
View this thread: http://winvistaclub.com/forum/showthread.php?t=18919

Old August 13th 08, 03:14 PM posted to microsoft.public.windows.vista.hardware_devices
Joe Auerbach

Thanx for the responses, folks.
DL - the files I have are from Acer's website, Realtek doesn't seem to have
a download section, they claim that they only provide hardware, not drivers ??

Arkitect - msconfig will enable me to bypass it, thanx, I just thought that
there may be a better solution in case this crops up again. I usually try to
solve, rather than avoid, but for now I won't spend any more cycles on it.
Rgds, Joe

Old August 13th 08, 10:30 PM posted to microsoft.public.windows.vista.hardware_devices
arkitect[_4_]

Realtek does have a download section, the driver section is just a bit
hidden. I am assuming what you need is an AC97 audio driver which you
can get 'here' (http://tinyurl.com/zlc2q) for the purpose of getting the
latest driver but then again the executable causing the error is not a
sound driver, it's just extra baggage that came with the driver that I
would disable for all purposes anyways.

Old August 13th 08, 11:42 PM posted to microsoft.public.windows.vista.hardware_devices
Joe Auerbach

Thanx, I'm doing the d/l, I'll see what it gives me when I expand it.
As for not running it, I disabled it in msinfo, so it hasn't cropped up again.
BTW, I'm also having a problem with the built-in OrbiCam behaving
inconsistently, I'm putting that in another thread just to keep things
straight.
Thanx again