i need help cleaning up my Recovery (D;)

Old August 14th 08, 08:35 PM posted to microsoft.public.windows.vista.hardware_devices
mykerl

Default i need help cleaning up my Recovery (D;)

Ive been trying to do all that I know how to do to try and clean up,
compress, delete unused programs and i am having no luck. I read
somewhere that you can reformat, but I don't know how to do it and I'm
afraid i will lose vital info. Please help me. Marilyn

--
mykerl
Old August 14th 08, 08:50 PM posted to microsoft.public.windows.vista.hardware_devices
Ultimate User

Go to startall programsaccessoriescommand prompt and copy and paste
this syntax into a command prompt and press enter:

*vssadmin resize shadowstorage /For=C:
/On=C: /MaxSize=2GB
*

This will reduce your shadow storage to 2GB you will see an immediate
increase in space on your drive after rebooting.

System restore in Vista utilizes the
Volume Shadow Copy Service (VSS) which manages restore points or shadow
copies. A shadow copy is essentially a previous version of a file or
folder at a specific point. Restore points are a special type of shadow
copy because they store specific information needed during a system
repair with System Restore. Shadow Copies are also created by Previous
Versions, Windows Backup, and CompletePC Backup.

The shadow copy storage area is where all
types shadow copies are stored on each volume where VSC (Volume Shadow
Copy) is turned on.

--
Ultimate User
Old August 14th 08, 09:24 PM posted to microsoft.public.windows.vista.hardware_devices
Paul Montgomery

On Thu, 14 Aug 2008 15:50:07 -0500, Ultimate User
wrote:

Go to startall programsaccessoriescommand prompt and copy and paste
this syntax into a command prompt and press enter:

*vssadmin resize shadowstorage /For=C:
/On=C: /MaxSize=2GB
*

You ever try to paste in a command prompt window???
Old August 14th 08, 10:20 PM posted to microsoft.public.windows.vista.hardware_devices
Malke[_2_]

mykerl wrote:

Ive been trying to do all that I know how to do to try and clean up,
compress, delete unused programs and i am having no luck. I read
somewhere that you can reformat, but I don't know how to do it and I'm
afraid i will lose vital info. Please help me. Marilyn

Your subject line references a Recovery drive but you don't mention it in
your message body so I'm a bit confused as to what you're trying to do.
It's especially difficult to give you focused help since you left out any
details such as whether this is a laptop or a desktop, make/model, etc.

Most OEM machines (HP, Sony, etc.) have an image on a special partition of
the hard drive that allows you to restore your computer to factory
condition. In many cases this partition is labeled "Recovery" so your D:
drive might be this recovery partition. If this is the case, you should not
have *anything* of your own on this partition at all. If this is your
situation and you've been putting stuff on the recovery partition, remove
*only* your own data, not touching the image, and save it to your Documents
folder on the C: drive.

Please post back with a better description of your computer and what you're
actually trying to do if you want more help.

Malke
--
MS-MVP
Elephant Boy Computers - Don't Panic!

Old August 15th 08, 12:27 AM posted to microsoft.public.windows.vista.hardware_devices
Paul Montgomery

wrote:

Go to startall programsaccessoriescommand prompt and copy and paste
this syntax into a command prompt and press enter:

*vssadmin resize shadowstorage /For=C:
/On=C: /MaxSize=2GB
*

You are just FULL of bad advice today, aren't you! You bear closer
watching to make sure you don't screw someone's computer up.
Old August 15th 08, 02:31 AM posted to microsoft.public.windows.vista.hardware_devices
Dave[_29_]

It's easy.
open a cmd window, right-click in it, select Paste

or right-click on the window header, select Edit - Paste
then edit the wrap...

--
Vista Home Premium 32 SP1
http://get.live.com/wlmail/overview

news

Old August 15th 08, 05:57 PM posted to microsoft.public.windows.vista.hardware_devices
tanuj_chadha[_8_]

Check if in recovery drive if you a see a folder by the name of
"MediaID.bin" & also a folder by the name of your computer, example
1986rulez, then remove both of them as you could using "Backup &
Restore to backup the data. And the data is being backup into recovery
drive.

--
tanuj_chadha

Tanuj

History repeats itself, first as tragedy, second as farce. - Karl
Marx :geek: