Does Vista use a file system when burning CD's that XP can't read?

Old August 23rd 08, 03:30 PM posted to microsoft.public.windows.vista.file_management,microsoft.public.windows.vista,microsoft.public.windows.vista.general
fb

Default Does Vista use a file system when burning CD's that XP can'tread?

Ringmaster wrote:

On Fri, 22 Aug 2008 23:02:45 -0700, Frank wrote:

98 Guy wrote:

If files are copied (drag'n'dropped) to a CD-R while using Vista, are
those files accessible if the CD is put into an XP machine? I've heard
of some first-hand accounts where this seems to be the case.

Does Vista use a file system on burned CD's or DVD's that XP can't read?

If so, does Micro$oft provide a driver for XP to be able to read them?

No, you have a choice to burn for playing/reading only on that computer
or for any computer.

You're a moron Frank. There is NO option to make something only play
on THAT computer.

You're that stupid? You can't figure out what I was talking about can
you, you fukkin imbecile !
OMG! Well, figures seeing as how you still can't get your one little
install of Vista Business to run properly.

What you just said above but surely you will try to
climb up on a stack of bibles and pretend it wasn't what you meant.

Again Frank illustrate why he's a total jackass, retard and putz.

There is an option to use different file systems. One is backward
compatible with older versions of Windows, the other is not. There is
no "that" machine which in Frank's senile world implies you could burn
a CD playable only on the machine that burned it. Frank has lots of
difficulty writing English in a way you can understand what he
babbling about. That's because Frank is severely brain damaged, senile
and suffering from advancing dementia.

Just excuse Frank, the old fool never knows what he babbling about.
He's just some senile old fool.

You do so love to open your big fat pompous stupid mouth and stick both
feet into it don't you mr drunken lying PIG!...LOL!

Old August 23rd 08, 03:31 PM posted to microsoft.public.windows.vista.file_management,microsoft.public.windows.vista,microsoft.public.windows.vista.general
fb

98 Guy wrote:

If files are copied (drag'n'dropped) to a CD-R while using Vista, are
those files accessible if the CD is put into an XP machine? I've heard
of some first-hand accounts where this seems to be the case.

Does Vista use a file system on burned CD's or DVD's that XP can't read?

If so, does Micro$oft provide a driver for XP to be able to read them?

No, you have a choice to burn for playing/reading only on that computer
or for any computer.

You're a moron Frank. There is NO option to make something only play
on THAT computer. What you just said above but surely you will try to
climb up on a stack of bibles and pretend it wasn't what you meant.

Again Frank illustrate why he's a total jackass, retard and putz.

There is an option to use different file systems. One is backward
compatible with older versions of Windows, the other is not. There is
no "that" machine which in Frank's senile world implies you could burn
a CD playable only on the machine that burned it. Frank has lots of
difficulty writing English in a way you can understand what he
babbling about. That's because Frank is severely brain damaged, senile
and suffering from advancing dementia.

Just excuse Frank, the old fool never knows what he babbling about.
He's just some senile old fool.

Frank is correct!

I've had a number of burners over the years and every one of them gave the
option to burn the discs for general use on all machines or just for use on
the machine you are using to burn the disk.

ring******* can't get his one little install of Vista Business to run
properly. He a stupid, incompetent fool.
Pay no attention tho him.

Old August 23rd 08, 03:36 PM posted to microsoft.public.windows.vista.file_management,microsoft.public.windows.vista,microsoft.public.windows.vista.general
Flight

"fb" schreef in bericht

98 Guy wrote:

[...]

Great comment! Can you do it in a more decent way? Not everyone is a top
crack like you are. You know: making mistakes is human. So we can surely say
that HE is a human being. But you? I doubt it.

Old August 23rd 08, 03:39 PM posted to microsoft.public.windows.vista.file_management,microsoft.public.windows.vista,microsoft.public.windows.vista.general
Canuck57[_4_]

98 Guy wrote:

[...]

True and not true. If you don't close the disk, the final directory
information parts would not be written to the disk, thus making it unusable
by other computers as in essence, it is a incomplete burn. The unburned
data being retained on the hard drive for subsequent use.

Problem though, if you reinstalled the OS or the CD drivers, these cached
bits of directory data would get wiped out making the partially burned CDs
useless.

They did this so that you could add more files later as one you made the CD
complete with writing the header/directory information you could no longer
add for files to it using known formats that Windoze can use. That is,
Windows does not have built in method of reading CDs in more than one
partition. You can actually make a CD or DVD that in Linux can be seen in
it's entirety, while on a MS-Windows system you only get part of the data.

Frank is wrong if you consider it needs to be a complete and recoverable
burn.

Old August 23rd 08, 03:44 PM posted to microsoft.public.windows.vista.file_management,microsoft.public.windows.vista,microsoft.public.windows.vista.general
Frank[_54_]

Flight wrote:

"fb" schreef in bericht

98 Guy wrote:

[...]

Truth is, he is a PIG!...plain and simple.
Old August 23rd 08, 04:17 PM posted to microsoft.public.windows.vista.general,microsoft.public.windows.vista,microsoft.public.windows.vista.file_management
98 Guy

Um, did none of you people catch the following information... ???

You're all going off on crazy-ass tangents. The following is the most
coherent explanation so far, but it does raise further questions:

Ramesh MVP wrote:

Vista usage UDF file system for CD/DVDs...and you can read in earlier
version of Windows by choosing appropriate version of UDF while
burning discs

1.02 This format can be read on Windows 98 as well as many Apple
computers. You should use this version if you need to format DVD-RAM
or MO (Magneto-optical) discs.

1.5 This format is compatible with Windows 2000, Windows XP, and
Windows Server 2003. It might not be compatible with Windows 98 or
Apple computers.

2.01 This format is compatible with Windows XP and Windows Server
2003. It might not compatible with Windows 98, Windows 2000, or Apple
computers.

2.5 This format is designed for the latest version of Windows and
might not be compatible with earlier versions of Windows.

And the following questions remain unanswered:

Is the default Vista setting to use UDF 2.5?

Is it just me, or is this issue (and the potential for Vista - XP
incompatibility) common knowledge?

Is there a benefit in using 2.5 vs 2.01, or did Microsoft do this
because it's their habbit of creating compatibility or
intra-operatbility problems with older windows versions?
Old August 23rd 08, 04:19 PM posted to microsoft.public.windows.vista.file_management,microsoft.public.windows.vista,microsoft.public.windows.vista.general
Paul Montgomery[_3_]

On Sat, 23 Aug 2008 17:36:32 +0200, "Flight"
jPUNTvoorbeeld@gmailPUNTcom wrote:

You do so love to open your big fat pompous stupid mouth and stick both
feet into it don't you mr drunken lying PIG!...LOL!

Great comment! Can you do it in a more decent way?

You can't be for real. If you are, you're a fool.
Old August 23rd 08, 05:53 PM posted to microsoft.public.windows.vista.general,microsoft.public.windows.vista,microsoft.public.windows.vista.file_management
98 Guy

Ringmaster wrote:

I directed you to Vista's help system which explains what you asked
in more detail.

I don't use or have access to a system running Vista.

Being able to add more to a disc where you have already
copied files to it would be considered a benefit by most people.

Is this one of the differences between UDF version 2.5 and 2.01?

Actually you could do the same under XP with some third party
software.

So you are confirming that Microsoft is not / will not make a UDF 2.5
driver available for XP?
Old August 23rd 08, 06:22 PM posted to microsoft.public.windows.vista.general,microsoft.public.windows.vista,microsoft.public.windows.vista.file_management
98 Guy

Ringmaster wrote:

The default is the NEWER file system supported by Vista. You
should automatically see a window pop up asking if you wish
to change it to make your CD/DVD more backward compatible.

This page:

is a step-by-step series of screen-shots showing someone copying files
to a CD-r on Vista, and no such warning window comes up:

---------------
Now if I had clicked Next (“Volgende”), the CD would have been burned
with Microsoft's Live File System format without informing or warning
the user. This is Not Good, in my view, and smells a bit of sneaky
lock-in. Instead, then, I click Show Formatting Options (“Opties voor
formatteren weergeven”).

The options are clear: the Mastered format is readable on any computer,
the Live File System format only on Windows computers -- and even then,
it depends on the chosen version (via “Versie wijzigen”) of Live File
System, as the following screen shots show:

All of a sudden, Live File System is called UDF, which is rather
confusing. Is the resulting disk a UDF disk or not? Anyway, I stick with
the default option (UDF 2.01), which should be compatible with Vista and
XP. After I click OK, Vista says it needs to format the disk:
-------------

The format process seems to hang, and he's forced to perform a re-boot.
You can read the rest of the long, sordid effort if you want.

He refers to this web-page:

http://windowshelp.microsoft.com/Win...06cbe1033.mspx

which says this:

-------------------
The latest version of Windows offers a new format, called Live File
System.

Discs formatted with the Live File System option:

.... Are only compatible with Windows XP and later versions of Windows.
----------------

But even that doesn't make any sense because there seems to be a big
difference between UDF 2.5 and 2.01 as far as XP is concerned.

The author makes the point that Micro$haft repeatedly uses their term
"Live File System" for what is otherwise known in the industry as UDF
(Universal Disk Format).

He also says that "Vista clearly steers users away from the universally
readable “Mastered format”, both by means of default settings that can't
be changed and a warning message."
Old August 23rd 08, 07:04 PM posted to microsoft.public.windows.vista.general,microsoft.public.windows.vista,microsoft.public.windows.vista.file_management
Ringmaster

On Sat, 23 Aug 2008 14:22:56 -0400, 98 Guy wrote:

Ringmaster wrote:

The default is the NEWER file system supported by Vista. You
should automatically see a window pop up asking if you wish
to change it to make your CD/DVD more backward compatible.

This page:

is a step-by-step series of screen-shots showing someone copying files
to a CD-r on Vista, and no such warning window comes up:

Well duh, I don't speak German fluently but if you look on the 3rd
item of the above link is shows basically the same thing the English
version shows. Which is giving you a CHOICE between Live file system
and the other choice.

If you want to split hairs there is a Next button, but immediately to
the left of it is the line that's clickable that shows the two
available choices.

If you don't like how it's presented complain to Microsoft. I'm just
trying to help you understand.