Vista Banter

-   Windows Vista File Management (http://www.vistabanter.com/windows-vista-file-management/)
-   -   The User Profile Service service failed the logon. User Profile cannot be loaded (http://www.vistabanter.com/138271-user-profile-service-service-failed-logon-user-profile-cannot-loaded.html)

R. C. White May 20th 09 01:56 PM

The User Profile Service service failed the logon. User Profile cannot be loaded

Hi, tshakaworld.

Congratulations!

I have one little quibble with your advice. In your Step 3 you said:
This System Restore
function enables you to restore your computer to the way it was on any
date in the past (cool eh?).

Yes, that's cool. But not quite that cool. We can restore to the way it
was on SOME date in the past. But not just ANY date.

The System Restore service automatically creates restore points at certain
times, such as just before we install an application. And we can manually
create restore points at other times. But storage space on our hard drive
is not unlimited, so saved restore points get deleted when necessary to make
room for new ones. And some actions can cause us to lose saved restored
points.

System Restore can seem like "cool" magic when it works, but use it with
discretion. And don't rely on it to solve ALL problems.

RC
--
R. C. White, CPA
San Marcos, TX

Microsoft Windows MVP

"tshakaworld" wrote in message

Malke;4416943 Wrote:
After you have logged into an Administrator account (after Step 1 or
possibly Steps 2-3), try a System Restore first. This may fix the issue
and
you will be able to log into your user account without going through
the
rest of Steps 4-5.

I tried the System Restore yesterday and it worked perfectly. This is
especially helpful if you only have made the mistake of having only 1
administrator account. As you can guess, I am not a very technical
person but the information I found here was so helpful that I wish to
add my 2 cents in hopes of helping someone else.

These are the steps I took:

1. I booted the computer in Safe Mode by clicking F8 at start. (thanks
Malke)

2. Clicked on the icon for my Administrator. I was actually able to
log on to the Administrator account in Safe Mode.

3. Entered control panel and selected System and Maintenance. I then
followed the instructions for a System Restore. This System Restore
function enables you to restore your computer to the way it was on any
date in the past (cool eh?). I followed the prompts to restore my
computer to the way it was 1 day before my Administrator Account Profile
Service failed the logon.

4. The operating system took me back in time to the day before I first
started having problems. I am now able to log on to my Administrator
account.

5. I immediately went to Control Panel and created 2 new users. I
assigned each new user Administrator status. I also copied all my old
documents, bookmarks, music and photos to the Public folder so they can
be shared with the new users I created.

I wish to thank everyone for the tips.

--
tshakaworld

Cheese Head July 30th 09 08:33 PM

The User Profile Service service failed the logon. User Profile cannot be loaded

I get the same message. I tried the steps in the Tutorial "How to fix
the error 'The user Profile service fail...'". The problem that I have
is that the account that gets the error message does not exist in the
registry nor does it exist in the user accounts list. It is a domain
account and all other domain accounts can log into the computer. The
domain account is able to log into different computer. The domain
account only receives this error message on this one computer. Any
suggestions?

--
Cheese Head

sgbandpv September 11th 09 07:11 PM

The User Profile Service service failed the logon. User Profile cannot be loaded

Any suggestion how to get access to my computer? Will only show User
profile service message or a logon key that leads to the same message.
F8 doesn't work and there is no START key to get access. Help!

--
sgbandpv

Malke[_2_] September 11th 09 11:25 PM

sgbandpv wrote:

Any suggestion how to get access to my computer? Will only show User
profile service message or a logon key that leads to the same message.
F8 doesn't work and there is no START key to get access. Help!

This error can usually be fixed by following the steps below. Doing all this
requires a certain level of computer skills. You know yourself best and
whether taking the machine to a competent local computer tech (not a
BigComputerStore/GeekSquad type of place) is the better solution for you.

1. Log into another user account with administrative privileges. If you
neglected to make an extra administrative account do Steps 2-3. Otherwise
continue at Step 4. Also see the general information about setting up user
accounts in Vista at the end of this post.

2. Boot into Safe Mode. Do this by repeatedly tapping the F8 key as the
computer is starting up. This will get you to the right menu where you can
use your arrow key to select Safe Mode [enter]. The built-in Administrator
account is disabled by default in Vista. However, if no other administrative
accounts exist on the system it may be enabled. If it is, you will see an
icon for Administrator on the Welcome Screen in Safe Mode. Log into
Administrator.

3. If If you don't see the icon for the Administrator account in Safe Mode,
then the built-in Administrator account is still disabled and you'll need to
do some more work.

a. If you have a Vista installation DVD (not a recovery DVD) you can boot
the system with it. Select the default language, then choose "Repair your
computer". Then select "Command Prompt". At the command prompt type:

net user administrator /active:yes [enter]

If you don't have a Vista installation DVD you can either make a bootable
Vista Repair DVD from the file at this link:

http://neosmart.net/blog/2008/window...disc-download/

b. Or you can use NTpassword to enable the built-in Administrator. In both
cases you will need third-party burning software such as Nero, Roxio, or the
free ImgBurn (www.imgburn.com) to burn the .iso as an image, not as data.

Now remove the rescue CD/DVD you made, reboot the system into Windows, and
log into the built-in Administrator account you enabled.

4. Try a System Restore to when things were working. If you can log into
your own user account, you're finished. Otherwise continue at Step 5.

5. The critical files are under %systemdrive%\users\user-account\ntuser. The
ntuser.dat file is actually a registry hive. Run Regedit and select
HKEY_USERS and "load hive" from the menu. Now navigate to:

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows NT\CurrentVersion\ProfileList

There is one line for each profile. If a profile is bad, check:

a) That the key name doesn't end in ".bak" (remove .bak if there)
b) That the RefCount value is 0 (change it if different)
c) That the State value is 0 (change if different)

Make any necessary changes, close Regedit and try to log in as that user.

6. If that doesn't fix your profile, it is corrupted. At that point you can
either make a new user account and copy your data to it or simply make a new
user account and delete the old corrupted one. Do not delete the old account
until you have retrieved data you need! Post back if you need help in
creating a new user account and copying data to it.

General recommendations for setting up users in Vista:

You absolutely do not want to have only one user account. Like XP and all
other modern operating systems, Vista is a multi-user operating system with
built-in system accounts such as Administrator, Default, All Users, and
Guest. These accounts should be left alone as they are part of the operating
system structure.

You particularly don't want only one user account with administrative
privileges on Vista because the built-in Administrator account (normally
only used in emergencies) is disabled by default. If you're running as
Administrator for your daily work and that account gets corrupted, things
will be Difficult. It isn't impossible to activate the built-in Administrator
to rescue things, but it will require third-party tools and working outside
the operating system.

The user account that is for your daily work should be a Standard user, with
the extra administrative user (call it something like "CompAdmin" or "Tech"
or the like) only there for elevation purposes. After you create
"CompAdmin", log into it and change your regular user account to Standard.
Then log back into your regular account.

If you want to go directly to the Desktop and skip the Welcome Screen with
the icons of user accounts, you can do this:

Start OrbSearch boxtype: netplwiz [enter]
Click on Continue (or supply an administrator's password) when prompted by
UAC

Uncheck the option "Users must enter a user name and password to use this
computer". Select a user account to automatically log on by clicking on the
desired account to highlight it and then hit OK. Enter the correct password
for that user account (if there is one) when prompted. Leave it blank if
there is no password (null).

Malke
--
MS-MVP
Elephant Boy Computers - Don't Panic!

batboot80 January 4th 10 02:34 PM

The User Profile Service service failed the logon. User Profile cannot be loaded

Hello every one,

i have the same problem, but i got it when i make join in the domain
controller in our network, i tried all of the users & the same message
appear.

i can go back to my local machine user account.
please i need a help

--
batboot80