fingerprint scanners

Old August 26th 08, 08:41 PM posted to microsoft.public.windows.vista.hardware_devices
Adam Chapman

Default fingerprint scanners

I know you can use fingerprint scanners for logging on to your
personal windows user account, but is there a way of using such a
scanner for passwords on the internet? e.g. my ebay/online banking
email accounts etc.

It would be really cool

Thanks,
Adam
Old August 26th 08, 11:26 PM posted to microsoft.public.windows.vista.hardware_devices
David Vair

You need a Password Manager to do this. The Microsoft Fingerprint Reader
comes with such software and I use mine for any web site that needs a
password.
--
David Vair
CNE,CNA,MCP,A+,N+

Old August 27th 08, 03:27 PM posted to microsoft.public.windows.vista.hardware_devices
John Barnett MVP[_3_]

While it is a novel way of logging on to your PC or online bank account (of
course you can also use it for email logging on as well) my main bone of
contention is the additional time it takes to boot up the computer. I
recently tried the Microsoft finger print reader and noticed it added an
additional 30 seconds to PC boot up. This is negligible if your PC boots up
within, say, 30 or 40 seconds but any longer and you are simply waiting
around for things to happen.

John Barnett MVP
Associate Expert
Windows Desktop Experience

Web: http://xphelpandsupport.mvps.org
Web: http://vistasupport.mvps.org

mail/post..

Old August 29th 08, 01:01 PM posted to microsoft.public.windows.vista.hardware_devices
Adam Chapman

On Aug 27, 4:27*pm, "John Barnett MVP"
wrote:
[...]

Adam- Hide quoted text -

Do you have to use it for logging in though? Surely you could choose
to use it only for online banking and email
Old August 29th 08, 02:54 PM posted to microsoft.public.windows.vista.hardware_devices
John Barnett MVP[_3_]

Regardless of what you use the finger print reader for it still has to load
the drivers and services. Based on that assumption, even if you don't use it
for logging into Windows, it is still going to take extra boot up time to
get the finger print drivers install and ready for you to use. I admit I
haven't tried any other than logging into windows, so I'm speculating that
the same boot up time will occur. As soon as I have time I will give it a
try using the finger print reader for opening applications and online
banking to see what response I get.

wrote:
While it is a novel way of logging on to your PC or online bank account
(of
course you can also use it for email logging on as well) my main bone of
contention is the additional time it takes to boot up the computer. I
recently tried the Microsoft finger print reader and noticed it added an
additional 30 seconds to PC boot up. This is negligible if your PC boots
up
within, say, 30 or 40 seconds but any longer and you are simply waiting
around for things to happen.

John Barnett MVP
Associate Expert
Windows Desktop Experience

Web:http://xphelpandsupport.mvps.org
Web:http://vistasupport.mvps.org

reliability or content of this mail/post. The Author shall not be liable
for
any direct, indirect, incidental or consequential damages arising out of
the
mail/post..

Old August 29th 08, 05:15 PM posted to microsoft.public.windows.vista.hardware_devices
David Vair

wrote:
[...]

If you don't use a Windows password to log in then it will go right to the
desktop. If you have a password you will be given the choice of using the
fingerprint to log in or type your password. The speed of use on banking
sites is largely dependent on the site. I have found that on a site with
very few links listed on the page it is very fast. If a site has a lot of
links or plays animation then it may take a few seconds for the icon to
appear for the fingerprint reader. I use mine for all bank, credit card,
and school sites.

Basically it just takes place of having to type passwords.
--
David Vair
CNE,CNA,MCP,A+,N+

Old August 29th 08, 06:23 PM posted to microsoft.public.windows.vista.hardware_devices
John Barnett MVP[_3_]

Thanks for the update, David. As most users have password protected logon
the 'extra' boot time must still prevail which is rather disappointing. As I
said in my first post the finger print reader is a novel idea but having
used one it didn't give me the 'buzz' I expected it too. In the end I was
rather disappointed.

Old August 29th 08, 07:30 PM posted to microsoft.public.windows.vista.hardware_devices
Adam Chapman

wrote:
[...]

CNE,CNA,MCP,A+,N+- Hide quoted text -

Thats cool, thanks for the info. I dont have a windows password since
i live alone and am the only person using my computer. I think I will
get one soon, thanks again