Vista ultimate 64bit and WD Mionet doesn't work together.

Old August 27th 08, 01:42 AM posted to microsoft.public.windows.vista.hardware_devices
mkool

Default Vista ultimate 64bit and WD Mionet doesn't work together.

Ok past some years I was using the XP 32bit pro and last year I have bought
a WD My Book world (network external hard drive). I used it well till I
changed to Vista Ultimate 64bit. The problem is I have saved over 500GB of
data, those data that I can't access them because SW compatible(Mionet)
issue. When I tried to install the mionet but error said mionet program is
not compatible and I send a email to WD but they said the My Book World is
not compatible with Windows 64-bit. So I'm in the dead water..I need to
access to those files from it.

I don't have clue how to resolve this. I don't have enough hard drive space
to make a dual boot.

Anyone sucessfully solved this problem?

Old August 27th 08, 12:05 PM posted to microsoft.public.windows.vista.hardware_devices
Malke[_2_]

mkool wrote:

Ok past some years I was using the XP 32bit pro and last year I have
bought a WD My Book world (network external hard drive). I used it well
till I changed to Vista Ultimate 64bit. The problem is I have saved over
500GB of data, those data that I can't access them because SW
compatible(Mionet) issue. When I tried to install the mionet but error
said mionet program is not compatible and I send a email to WD but they
said the My Book World is not compatible with Windows 64-bit. So I'm in
the dead water..I need to access to those files from it.

I don't have clue how to resolve this. I don't have enough hard drive
space to make a dual boot.

If WD says their hardware won't work on a 64-bit operating system, that's
the end of that story. I can think of only two ways around the problem:

1. Connect your My Book World to a computer running a 32-bit operating
system and start burning DVDs.

2. Boot your current system with a Linux Live CD like Knoppix with the
external hard drive attached and use K3b to burn DVDs.

Malke
--
MS-MVP
Elephant Boy Computers - Don't Panic!

Old August 27th 08, 06:03 PM posted to microsoft.public.windows.vista.hardware_devices
MioKitty

mkool;820954 Wrote:
Ok past some years I was using the XP 32bit pro and last year I have
bought
a WD My Book world (network external hard drive). I used it well till I
changed to Vista Ultimate 64bit. The problem is I have saved over 500GB
of
data, those data that I can't access them because SW compatible(Mionet)
issue. When I tried to install the mionet but error said mionet program
is
not compatible and I send a email to WD but they said the My Book World
is
not compatible with Windows 64-bit. So I'm in the dead water..I need to
access to those files from it.

I don't have clue how to resolve this. I don't have enough hard drive
space
to make a dual boot.

Anyone sucessfully solved this problem?

You should be able to login on 'MioNet| Your personal private network
for PC remote access, webcam access software, backup, and file sharing'
(http://www.MioNet.com) and access your files, provided your My Book
World is on the internet; currently MioNet does not work with Vista or
XP 64-bit (the installer actually will detect the OS type and not allow
the installation), but we are working on both a 64-bit and a Mac Client.
MioNet Web does not provide the drive-letter access the Client does, but
it will work for your purposes. It is also dependant on your Internet
Connection, since it is going over the Web instead of through your local
network.

You should be able to access your file system from \\MyBookWorld or
\\ipaddress (if you know the IP), use the PUBLIC folder; MioNet does
make some folders that are MioNet-only, however, so you may not see your
files using this method.

If you provide me with your email address I can create a ticket for
you. It sounds as though you never made it to MioNet support.

--
MioKitty
Old September 14th 08, 04:51 PM posted to microsoft.public.windows.vista.hardware_devices
Armidill0

I run vista X64 and can still access my Wd nas drive .. not by using
mionet but by locally accessing the drive.

to do this, do the following:

Turn the drive on-go to my comp-click map drive under address bar on
right-give it any avail drive letter-hit browse and it'll find your
drive.

now i had to Xfer all my files to the Public folder for this to work so
you may have to do this.

only problem i have is i dont appear to have admin rights in the folder
of all my stuff, but my bro does. i think its coz i initially set up the
drive on his pc and its recognising his pc name and what not.

hope this helps

Dill0

--
Armidill0
Armidill0's Profile: http://forums.techarena.in/members/armidill0.htm

http://forums.techarena.in

Old October 26th 08, 04:34 AM posted to microsoft.public.windows.vista.hardware_devices
RyanHell078[_10_]

This problem annoys me greatly. Have been using Vista 64 since its
debut, and have had a surprisingly little amount of similar conflicts
due to programs not being able to run on Vista 64. It is now late 08',
and WD decides to partner with some software startup that has its head
up its a@# apparently and cannot create a 64 version, two years later.
So I just spent 200.00 on a BRICK. Its going back, and WD lost a
customer they had since 1994, even earlier. I really do not want to hear
Mio lames cry about their reasons, the point is they should have it
under control by now. And shame on WD this time. THE BOX SAID IT WORKS
FOR VISTA, they should have clarified.

--
RyanHell078
Old March 16th 09, 09:14 PM posted to microsoft.public.windows.vista.hardware_devices
theantitheist

Go to your router/modem home page, go on attached devices and find your
IP address for your MYworld, then 2 no. back slashs and your ip address.

I do agree with everyone else though WD, get your act togheter, it's
caused me a lot of bother for a simple solution that you should have
very clearly up on your website, not only with the product but in the
support section. AND YOU SHOULD SAY ABOUT MIONET NOT WORKING WITH 64!!

--
theantitheist
Old April 2nd 09, 03:38 PM posted to microsoft.public.windows.vista.hardware_devices
nessen

theantitheist;993984 Wrote:
Go to your router/modem home page, go on attached devices and find your
IP address for your MYworld, then 2 no. back slashs and your ip address.

I've done that but it asks for a password and neither my mionet or
router password seem to work. Any Ideas?

--
nessen
Old April 7th 09, 08:25 PM posted to microsoft.public.windows.vista.hardware_devices
BrianB[_2_]

Check the manual for the My Word box. You can reset its password by pressing
the correct buttons. The reset will not damage any data on the drive.

Brian

Old July 22nd 09, 11:21 PM posted to microsoft.public.windows.vista.hardware_devices
del420t

Initially even looking at the Map Network drives didnt initally find the
WD. But now I used Mionet Web access it has found the network drive and
it is now mapped. Thanks for your work around guys.

I have just upgraded to 64bit and it would be a shame to loss it.

--
del420t