Vista Banter

-   -   Microsoft Wireless Optical Mouse 2.0 Double Clicks when Clicked Once. (http://www.vistabanter.com/138589-microsoft-wireless-optical-mouse-2-0-double-clicks-when-clicked-once.html)

Richard B August 27th 08 10:48 AM

Microsoft Wireless Optical Mouse 2.0 Double Clicks when Clicked Once.

Upon moving from Windows XP to Vista, a new PC, the Microsoft Mouse has
taken up a bad habit of double clicking when it is only clicked once.
This is so prevalent that we are hesitant to use it to click on certain
items. For example, the delete button in mail. We delete two messages
instead of the one we clicked on. For fun try playing solitaire,
flipping two cards, instead of one, after a while it really gets annoying.

I have tried to adjust the settings and checked with Microsoft and
downloaded the latest drivers for this but it has not improved. It may
actually be getting worse.

Any suggestions?

Is it time to get a new mouse?

Thank,

Richard..

Mike Hall - MVP[_3_] August 27th 08 12:02 PM

"Richard B" wrote in message
Upon moving from Windows XP to Vista, a new PC, the Microsoft Mouse has
taken up a bad habit of double clicking when it is only clicked once. This
is so prevalent that we are hesitant to use it to click on certain items.
For example, the delete button in mail. We delete two messages instead of
the one we clicked on. For fun try playing solitaire, flipping two cards,
instead of one, after a while it really gets annoying.

I have tried to adjust the settings and checked with Microsoft and
downloaded the latest drivers for this but it has not improved. It may
actually be getting worse.

Any suggestions?

Is it time to get a new mouse?

Thank,

Richard..

Try a different mouse and see if it exhibits the same behavior..

--
Mike Hall - MVP
How to construct a good post..

Steve Thackery[_2_] August 27th 08 03:52 PM

Microsoft Wireless Optical Mouse 2.0 Double Clicks when Clicked Once.

Upon moving from Windows XP to Vista, a new PC, the Microsoft Mouse has
taken up a bad habit of double clicking when it is only clicked once.

This is really common with Microsoft mice. The problem is due to the
microswitch going "noisy".

If you're OK with a soldering iron you could swap it with the microswitch
under the right-click button - I've done this several times over the past
several years. The right mouse button is used far less often, and double
clicks on it rarely do any harm.

Alternatively, you might just want to buy a new mouse. Logitech mice seem
slightly less prone to it, although still not immune. Presumably they have
better 'debounce' built in.

SteveT

nash July 11th 09 03:16 AM

Microsoft Wireless Optical Mouse 2.0 Double Clicks when Clicked Once.

I had the same frustrating problem develop on my Microsoft mouse with
the left-click developing a random double click. I took the mouse apart
to look at the solders and cleaned out a little bit of dust that had
collected in the mouse around the front near the culprit microswitch. I
then put it together and it now works perfectly. There must have been
some dust specs causing some sort of short in the device.

Anyway, saves me $30+ for the time being.

--
nash

floppydisk April 25th 10 09:41 AM

Microsoft Wireless Optical Mouse 2.0 Double Clicks when Clicked Once.

Similar to Nash, mine was broken by cat hairs inside the mouse but on
the outside of the microswitch - I cleaned these and it's single clicky
again.
I just wanted to add this message to support the suggestion that the
problem can be outside the microswitch to anyone stumbling upon this
discussion - I certainly didn't expect cleaning around it to work but it
did.

--
floppydisk