New Computer - BSOD - How do i find the problem?

Old August 27th 08, 05:50 PM posted to microsoft.public.windows.vista.hardware_devices
Martin From

Default New Computer - BSOD - How do i find the problem?

Hello,

i have just put together a new computer, and installed Windows Vista
Ultimate X64.
But of some reason I keep getting the BSOD, and i dont know how to find out
what is causing the problem.

My new computer consists of the following hardwa
- CPU: Intel Core 2 Quad Q9550
- Motherboard: Asus P5Q-E
- PSU: Corsair HX520
- Graphiccard: Asus EN9600GT
- Memory: OCZ Reaper PC8500 2x2 GB
- Harddrive: 2x 500 GB Seagate 7200.11

My 2 harddrives is set up in a Raid 1 (mirroring), with the onboard ICH10R
Raid controller.
I have downloaded the newest drivers from Asus, Intel and Nvidia, and
updated my Bios.

It all started when installing a program, suddenly the system froze and i
couldnt do anything else than a hard boot.
The Raid array was broken and it wouldnt start Vista (kept freezing at
startup). I did a Vista Repair and even though it said that it didnt fix any
problems i was now able to start Vista.
When Vista started it began rebuilding the Raid Array.

I uninstalled the program, and cleared the temp directory and installed it
again without any problems.

A little later i installed another program and the same problem occured. The
system froze and i did a hard boot, this time Vista started without problems
and it began rebuilding my Raid Array.

I tried installing the newest chipset drivers and intel matrix storage
manager, and i have also uninstalled some energy saving program from Asus
called Six Engine.
I havent had problems with the system freezing since, but if i right click
one of the harddrives in the matrix storage manager the program (Intel
Matrix Storage Manager) crashes.

By the way, when i write freezing it didnt freeze totally. I was able to
move the mouse around and type something into an open messenger window (dont
know if the message was delivered).
When i tried to open the C: partition through "Computer" it wouldnt, the
window would just not respond.

So i have the Raid drivers / controller under serious suspicion.

Now i am experincing the BSOD once in a while, and i cant figure out what is
causing it.
It happens randomly it seems, but i have always been using the computer when
it happens.
Last time it happened i was surfering a homepage with Internet Explorer.

I have been searching google for ages but i dont have any more ideas of what
to search for.

I have just unchecked the checkbox which tells it to automaticlly restart
when the BSOD appears soo i able to write down the message next time.

The latest message i got when starting windows after a bluescreen is the
following

Problem signatu
Problem Event Name: BlueScreen
OS Version: 6.0.6001.2.1.0.256.1
Locale ID: 1030

Additional information about the problem:
BCCode: 50
BCP1: FFFFF80021A9AE33
BCP2: 0000000000000008
BCP3: FFFFF80021A9AE33
BCP4: 0000000000000002
OS Version: 6_0_6001
Service Pack: 1_0
Product: 256_1

Files that help describe the problem:
C:\Windows\Minidump\Mini082708-01.dmp
C:\Users\Martin\AppData\Local\Temp\WER-181569-0.sysdata.xml
C:\Users\Martin\AppData\Local\Temp\WERFF83.tmp.ver sion.txt

I have installed Debugging Tools for Windows (X64), to be able to read the
Dump file (with WinDbg) - i have both the minidump and a memory.dmp
But i dont know how to read / understand what the file is telling me except
i can see that it is writting something about ntoskrnl.exe (in all my 3
latest minidumps).

At the top

"unable to load image \SystemRoot\system32\ntoskrnl.exe, Win32 error 0n2
*** WARNING: Unable to verify timestamp for ntoskrnl.exe
*** ERROR: Module load completed but symbols could not be loaded for
ntoskrnl.exe
Windows Server 2008 Kernel Version 6001 (Service Pack 1) MP (4 procs) Free
x64
Product: WinNt, suite: TerminalServer SingleUserTS
Kernel base = 0xfffff800`01a46000 PsLoadedModuleList = 0xfffff800`01c0bdb0
Debug session time: Wed Aug 27 14:45:24.185 2008 (GMT+2)
System Uptime: 0 days 1:06:09.118"

and at the bottom

"Probably caused by : ntoskrnl.exe ( nt+55390 )"

Except for that it mostly write "Symbols can not be loaded because symbol
path is not initialized." or "Your debugger is not using the correct
symbols".
If i try to run !analyse -v to get detailed debugging information i get alot
of information that i dont know how to use.

At the bottom of the Memory.dmp it says "Probably caused by : win32k.sys (
win32k!W32pArgumentTable+387 )"

As i mentioned i have the Harddrive / Raid controller under suspision but it
could just aswell be the graphiccard, motherboard (lan), or memory which is
causing the BSOD or any other hardware.

Can anyone out there help me finding out what is causing the problem ?

What should i do ? What information will you need to figure it out ?

Best regards

Martin From

Old August 28th 08, 04:41 PM posted to microsoft.public.windows.vista.hardware_devices
Paul[_21_]

Using a working system, download Windows Memory Diagnostic http://oca.microsoft.com/en/windiag.asp, burn to CD. Boot the CD in the computer you are testing. Test the memory. If any of the memory tests fail, cycle the power and test again. If it still fails, rma that memory.