Email and Windows Vista All issues relating to email and email software using Windows Vista. (microsoft.public.windows.vista.mail)

Windows Mail Folder Structure

Old August 29th 08, 02:23 PM posted to microsoft.public.windows.vista.mail
DougR

Default Windows Mail Folder Structure

I am using Windows Mail on a Vista Home Premium 32-bit computer.

I imported some folders from Outlook Express and created others. When
I look at the Local Folders folder, I see some folders with names I
created, multiple folders with the same basic name and numbers after
them, like "folder xy" and folder xy (1)." I also have a number of
"Imported Folders" with alphanumeric characters at the end of the file
names, like "Imported Fo eb."

How can I clean up the file structure so that all e-mails are in
correctly-named folders? I use Thunderbird when I travel and having a
"normal" file structure would make exporting and importing a lot easier.

Thanks!

--
DougR
Old March 14th 11, 02:51 AM posted to microsoft.public.windows.vista.mail
nick mason

Export all folders from Windows Mail to Microsoft Outlook - this retains the structure of your folders you have in Windows Mail. Now export as a PST file from Outlook. Finally, import the PST file into a clean Windows Mail. Now your store folder will exactly resemble in explorer what you see in Windows Mail.

You can test this first using a secondary user account which generates a fresh instance of Windows Mail. Once satisfied you can then copy the store folder contents to your current user account and overwrite replace your seemingly disjointed email file structure.

On Friday, August 29, 2008 10:23 AM DougR wrote:

I am using Windows Mail on a Vista Home Premium 32-bit computer.

I imported some folders from Outlook Express and created others. When
I look at the Local Folders folder, I see some folders with names I
created, multiple folders with the same basic name and numbers after
them, like "folder xy" and folder xy (1)." I also have a number of
"Imported Folders" with alphanumeric characters at the end of the file
names, like "Imported Fo eb."

How can I clean up the file structure so that all e-mails are in
correctly-named folders? I use Thunderbird when I travel and having a
"normal" file structure would make exporting and importing a lot easier.

Thanks!

--
DougR

Submitted via EggHeadCafe