Vista Indexing Question

Old September 2nd 08, 12:18 AM posted to microsoft.public.windows.vista.file_management
Clearwire Mail

Default Vista Indexing Question

I went to RUN.... SERVICES.MSC and disabled the Windows Search service. I
don't want indexing on my computer. However, when going to the Properties
of my C: drive, the check mark is ON for indexing my drive. So which is it?

Note: I "think" that if I uncheck the box that shows indexing on my C;
drive, it will alter the characteristics of EVERY file on the computer for
non-indexing, and that will take a while, plus it will thrash my hard drive
insatiably. Isn't simply disabling the Windows Search enough for stopping
all indexing??? Thanks.

EW

Old September 2nd 08, 02:14 AM posted to microsoft.public.windows.vista.file_management
Paul Montgomery[_3_]

On Mon, 1 Sep 2008 19:18:19 -0500, "Clearwire Mail"
wrote:

I went to RUN.... SERVICES.MSC and disabled the Windows Search service. I
don't want indexing on my computer. However, when going to the Properties
of my C: drive, the check mark is ON for indexing my drive. So which is it?

Note: I "think" that if I uncheck the box that shows indexing on my C;
drive, it will alter the characteristics of EVERY file on the computer for
non-indexing, and that will take a while, plus it will thrash my hard drive
insatiably. Isn't simply disabling the Windows Search enough for stopping
all indexing??? Thanks.

No it's not.

Uncheck the drives in addition to stopping the search service.
Old September 2nd 08, 04:41 AM posted to microsoft.public.windows.vista.file_management
James Hahn[_2_]

There are two quite distinct settings. One is related to the service and
indicates which drives should be included in the indexing procedure that the
service is responsible for. The other is related to the drives themselves
and indicates whether or not an index exists for the drive and therefore
whether or not the index should be consulted when carrying out a search.
Although obviously related, the two settings must be managed separately.

Old September 2nd 08, 01:02 PM posted to microsoft.public.windows.vista.file_management
Brink

Hi EW,

Yes, disabling the "Windows Search" service will disable the Index
completely in Vista. They are just different ways of doing it. The
Service disables completely, while the unchecking the drive just
disables that drive from being included in the indexed.

http://www.vistax64.com/tutorials/69...e-disable.html

Do not forget to also set your Search options as well for how you want
your non-indexed searches for.

http://www.vistax64.com/tutorials/75...h-options.html

Hope this helps,
Shawn

--
Brink

them.*
*Please post feedback to help others.*
Old September 2nd 08, 01:21 PM posted to microsoft.public.windows.vista.file_management
Paul Montgomery[_3_]

On Tue, 2 Sep 2008 08:02:36 -0500, Brink
wrote:

Hi EW,

Yes, disabling the "Windows Search" service will disable the Index
completely in Vista. They are just different ways of doing it. The
Service disables completely, while the unchecking the drive just
disables that drive from being included in the indexed.

Got a surprise for ya. Disable search service. Now go check the box
on one of your drives/partitions to have it indexed.
Old September 3rd 08, 12:01 AM posted to microsoft.public.windows.vista.file_management
LoneStar[_3_]

"Paul Montgomery" wrote in message
On Mon, 1 Sep 2008 19:18:19 -0500, "Clearwire Mail"
No it's not.

Uncheck the drives in addition to stopping the search service.

Thanks to all of you for the advice. Good info........

Old September 6th 08, 12:08 AM posted to microsoft.public.windows.vista.file_management
LoneStar[_3_]

"Paul Montgomery" wrote in message
Got a surprise for ya. Disable search service. Now go check the box
on one of your drives/partitions to have it indexed.

I don't mean to be argumentative........... but if DISABLING Windows Search
(indexing) does NOT disable indexing, then what the Hell is Microsoft doing?
What is the point of disabling is it doesn't "disable?"

I hope you're wrong. I've disabled Windows Search, but still see the
checkmark for indexing on my Vista drives. I hope this doesn't mean that
indexing is, in fact, active. If so, then disabling Windows Search is
worthless. What's the point?? Surely my beloved Microsoft isn't that lame!

Old September 6th 08, 12:29 AM posted to microsoft.public.windows.vista.file_management
Paul Montgomery[_3_]

On Fri, 5 Sep 2008 19:08:02 -0500, "LoneStar"
wrote:

"Paul Montgomery" wrote in message
.. .
Got a surprise for ya. Disable search service. Now go check the box
on one of your drives/partitions to have it indexed.

I don't mean to be argumentative........... but if DISABLING Windows Search
(indexing) does NOT disable indexing, then what the Hell is Microsoft doing?
What is the point of disabling is it doesn't "disable?"

I hope you're wrong. I've disabled Windows Search, but still see the
checkmark for indexing on my Vista drives. I hope this doesn't mean that
indexing is, in fact, active. If so, then disabling Windows Search is
worthless. What's the point?? Surely my beloved Microsoft isn't that lame!

I have had Search off and all my drives unchecked since about 2 days
after I installed Vista. Somehow one of my drives again became
checked a month or so later (I changed my hookups to the mobo) and got
indexed even though Search was still disabled.

Just accept that and uncheck all your drives/partitions.

Old September 9th 08, 07:26 AM posted to microsoft.public.windows.vista.file_management
James Hahn[_2_]

DISABLING Windows Search (indexing) DOES disable indexing. But it does not
remove the markers on the drives indicating what is indexed. I think most
users would be upset if their carefully arranged indexing options were wiped
out simply because they had disabled the service, for instance to run a
process such as backup. People expect the settings to be remembered and to
be automaically re-instated when indexing is re-enabled.