How to make files inaccessable from another computer on a network

Old September 2nd 08, 06:25 AM posted to microsoft.public.windows.vista.file_management
tdjolliff

Default How to make files inaccessable from another computer on a network

ok i dont know if i should laugh cry or scream i jus upgraded to vista
because i had no other choice and ive got a stash of shall we say
naughty things and i cant of rhte life of me figure out how to make them
private from the network but still allow myself to access them from my
own computer

it used to be so easy in xp all i had to do was tell it i wanted it to
be private and voila

anyway long long rants aside how can i fix this so that people on
computer b-z cant access files on computer a in any way shape or form
but me on computer a still can?

--
tdjolliff
Old September 2nd 08, 09:21 AM posted to microsoft.public.windows.vista.file_management
Hank Arnold (MVP)

tdjolliff wrote:
ok i dont know if i should laugh cry or scream i jus upgraded to vista
because i had no other choice and ive got a stash of shall we say
naughty things and i cant of rhte life of me figure out how to make them
private from the network but still allow myself to access them from my
own computer

it used to be so easy in xp all i had to do was tell it i wanted it to
be private and voila

anyway long long rants aside how can i fix this so that people on
computer b-z cant access files on computer a in any way shape or form
but me on computer a still can?

It sounds like you have some private files on a network server somewhere
and you access them using your PC.

If you want to keep other users from seeing the files, you need to set
the security settings for the folder(s) so that only yourself can see them.

This may be tricky since it depends on how much flexibility the network
admins have given you. Also, you can't hide anything on a server from a
network admin.....

Why not move the files to your workstation and lock them down there?

--

Regards,
Hank Arnold
Old September 2nd 08, 12:48 PM posted to microsoft.public.windows.vista.file_management
tdjolliff

results, please visit http://www.vistax64.com/showthread.php?t=178717
Question: Vista better than XP?

- Yes
- No, (insert rant here)!!!!
- Undecided (translation: still in package)
- Gates is watching me and im afraid to answer (vista users)

because this is the only computer i have its on this computer that im
using now and as for the permissions perhaps im trying to set the wrong
ones because when i set permissions in one it for some reason changes it
in all of the users including non network users (me) anyway theres no
workstation to move them to

--
tdjolliff
Old September 2nd 08, 12:54 PM posted to microsoft.public.windows.vista.file_management
tdjolliff

results, please visit http://www.vistax64.com/showthread.php?t=178717
Question: Vista better than XP?

- Yes
- No, (insert rant here)!!!!
- Undecided (translation: still in package)
- Gates is watching me and im afraid to answer (vista users)

because this is the only computer i have its on this computer that im
using now and as for the permissions perhaps im trying to set the wrong
ones because when i set permissions in one it for some reason changes it
in all of the users including non network users (me) anyway theres no
workstation to move them to

as for network admins perhaps im more of an idiot than i thought
because the other computers on the network have xp and are most of the
time not on the admin accounts so i wouldnt think they would be network
admins bnut perhaps i need a better definition

what is the group or user i would need to restrict permissions to?
where can i find a list of users running arround my computer assuming
they are not in the list by default? if they are not on the lisst by
defaul in what way should i enter the computer name is it like i would
for mapping a drive or like logging into their machine?

*sigh* i want my private button back

--
tdjolliff
Old September 9th 08, 10:48 PM posted to microsoft.public.windows.vista.file_management
tdjolliff

results, please visit http://www.vistax64.com/showthread.php?t=178717
Question: Vista better than XP?

- Yes
- No, (insert rant here)!!!!
- Undecided (translation: still in package)
- Gates is watching me and im afraid to answer (vista users)

ok so no ideas then?

--
tdjolliff
Old September 9th 08, 11:27 PM posted to microsoft.public.windows.vista.file_management,microsoft.public.vista.networking_sharing
Paul Montgomery[_3_]

On Tue, 9 Sep 2008 17:48:42 -0500, tdjolliff
wrote:

ok so no ideas then?

cross-posted to microsoft.public.vista.networking_sharing)

This group doesn't get much traffic.