Vista Banter

-   -   Host to Host USB Connections (http://www.vistabanter.com/139658-host-host-usb-connections.html)

Patrick Whittle September 6th 08 03:17 PM

Host to Host USB Connections

I bought a new computer and I want to transfer all my files from my old
computer. Does Windows Vista support host-to-host? As soon as I plugged my
USB cable into the computers, I was asked for a device driver. Device
drivers are a pretty standard thing, but, is host-to-host not supported at
Microsoft now?

Pavel A.[_2_] September 6th 08 07:15 PM

"Patrick Whittle" wrote in message
I bought a new computer and I want to transfer all my files from my old
computer. Does Windows Vista support host-to-host? As soon as I plugged my
USB cable into the computers, I was asked for a device driver. Device
drivers are a pretty standard thing, but, is host-to-host not supported at
Microsoft now?

Yes, of course, Vista supports this. The driver and instructions should be
packed with the USB cable
or available on the vendor's website.

--PA

Timothy Davis [MSFT][_2_] September 6th 08 07:52 PM

Host to Host USB Connections

Host to host is still supported by Windows; just not the same way it was
historically.

IIRC, the host to host cable you have should have come with an installation
disk. Have you followed the instructions for you cable? Are there updated
instructions on the manufacturers website?

Patrick Whittle September 7th 08 09:13 PM

Host to Host USB Connections

The host-to-host cable I am using is older. I therefore have no packaging
for the cable (i.e. instructions)
Thank you though.