Problems Installing Speedtouch USb 330 modem on new PC with Vista Home Premium

Old September 6th 08, 03:45 PM posted to microsoft.public.windows.vista.hardware_devices
Vista Newbie

Default Problems Installing Speedtouch USb 330 modem on new PC with Vista Home Premium

I bought a new laptop with win Vista Home Premium, preloaded. Modem
wouldnt work to connect to net. So after several attempts and calls to
my ISP technical support dept, in order to correct the problems and
having no joy, apart from they are sending out a new disk and modem to
install. Which could take 3 weeks. So, I downloaded the drivers on disk
from Thomson, getting v4.1 for usb 330 speedtouch which is the UK one. I
removed all old drivers etc and rebooted and installed the new drivers,
at end asked for ISP details etc all seemed to go ok, put in 0,38 for
vpi/vci, said connection successful and ready to use. I can use it, but
when i send for my mail it asks me if i want to swop to my other
connection or try and use the existing connection. It downloads mail,
and Mcafee didnt work the first time, it does now. Should i leave well
alone as long as i have a connection that is working? The problems are!

My Taskbar says Speedtouch ADSL Modem is not plugged in and all the
four squares are purple in colour. When i look in Devices it is not
under Modems, its listed under USB Controllers and it is using Ipwdm.sys
as its driver, and there are two other drivers listed st330 and
str330.sys in the File Driver list. I have an Icon saying USB cable is
connected in Taskbar.
Under my Network adapter it says Speedtouch ppp and it is using using
driver stppp.sys. I have been told that there should be 5 drivers in
total Ipwdm.sys, st330, st330.sys, st33064, stbus.sys. However it might
appear a silly question on hear, but i havnt a clue which device uses
which drivers. If we knew this, surely you could then just point at them
using the hardware wizard, or upgrade and select them. Can somebody
please help, it would be very much appreciated.

Newbie

--
Vista Newbie
Vista Newbie's Profile: http://forums.techarena.in/members/vista-newbie.htm

http://forums.techarena.in

Old September 6th 08, 07:50 PM posted to microsoft.public.windows.vista.hardware_devices
Timothy Davis [MSFT][_2_]

Hi Newbie,

Most modems nowdays come with an ethernet port which you can connect to a
router (or directly to your PC). I usually discourage folks from using the
USB connection on the modems, as the drivers generally suck (as you have
experienced). These drivers tend to have a bad crash rate to install rate
ratio.

If your xDSL modem doesn't have an ethernet port, you may want to ask your
ISP for one that does.

Old September 6th 08, 09:42 PM posted to microsoft.public.windows.vista.hardware_devices
Vista Newbie

Thanks for reply, this must be what they are sending, they said it
doesnt need device drivers to work. I will leave well alone until i get
it i think. Once again, thanks for replying.

Vista Newbie

Old September 8th 08, 01:54 AM posted to microsoft.public.windows.vista.hardware_devices
Timothy Davis [MSFT]

Be sure to uninstall all of the software from the previous modem before
working with the new modem your ISP sends you.