What Does This Mean!?!?!

Old September 8th 08, 09:20 PM posted to microsoft.public.windows.vista.hardware_devices
Andy T

Default What Does This Mean!?!?!

I think I have been told what causes this problem already, but I just need
clarity and one of you experts will clear this up in no time.

Every time I turn on my laptop PC, in the "Start Menu", it seems that all of
the Icons have changed positions or some new icons have taken the place of
previous Icons that were there the previous time I used the laptop. It seems
like whatever program or programmes I was using last before I shut down the
PC, both program(mes) and their Icons seem to show in the start menu.

Can anyone tell me what causes this strange phenomenon!?!? And how I can
fix it?
--
andy t

Old September 8th 08, 09:49 PM posted to microsoft.public.windows.vista.hardware_devices
barman58

andy t;831409 Wrote:
[...]

Ok andy t

The left part of the start menu display shows a list of you most
recently used programs, the order will change depending on how many
programs you run and which ones.

the programs you run most will move up the list and less used programs
will drop down the list. if you start using a new program or using one
more often then it will be added to this list and the least used program
will drop off the list.

This is by design so that the programs you need most will always be
available and the list will reflect usage changes as they develop.

saying this you may switch off this feature by right clicking on the
start orb and selecting properties if you then remove the tick next to
"store and display a list of recently opened programs".

If you select customise on this menu there is an entry on the next
screen which allows you to adjust how many items are kept on this list.

Also at the top of the left list of recently used programs are
permanent programs which do not move. you may add items here by dragging
a shortcut to the start orb or dragging an item into the top area from
the changing part.

A working method for using this function is to add those programs you
use most to the fixed part of the list and to set the bottom variable
part to a lower number than the default.

hope this clarifies things

--
barman58

Regards,
*Nigel*
the beginning of knowledge is the discovery of something we do not
understand.,- frank herbert
Old September 8th 08, 10:42 PM posted to microsoft.public.windows.vista.hardware_devices
Curious[_4_]

Right click on empty space in your start menu and select properties.
Uncheck the Privacy options at the bottom of the page select Apply then OK