Old March 1st 07, 08:51 PM posted to microsoft.public.windows.vista.hardware_devices
Ron Miller

Default "good" SATA2 drivers for PCIe JMB360 controller?

Nut Cracker wrote:
Hello,

I have a board with an onboard SATA2 connector. I put a SATA2 disk on it,
and when I installed vista (with the controller in SATA mode in the bios
(asrock 939Dual-SATA2 board)), Vista detected the controller and loaded a
default driver, and the install took about 3 hours. The windows experience
disk performance rating was 2.2.

I changed the controller mode to IDE in the bios (which required a reinstall
of Vista), but it was way way faster. Now I have a disk performance rating
of 5, but the disk is running in IDE UDMA-6 mode (equiv to SATA150).

I suppose the question is, does anyone know if a suitable SATA2 controller
driver exists for Vista that doesnt suck the way the controller driver that
is bundled with Vista does?

I would like to be able to harness the full speed of the SATA2 disk that is
in my system.

Thanks,

- NuTs

JMicron has a driver for the JMB36x that's dated 2/2007 and is supposed
to be for Vista -- http://www.jmicron.com/Driver.htm

If the drive is already running in UDMA 6, though, is it likely that
you'll see any improvement in disk performance? Please post your before
and after results.