How to revert a USB 1.1 port to USB 2.0 port.

Old September 12th 08, 05:15 AM posted to microsoft.public.windows.vista.hardware_devices
satadru

Default How to revert a USB 1.1 port to USB 2.0 port.

"Paul Montgomery" wrote:

On Thu, 11 Sep 2008 03:54:00 -0700, satadru
wrote:

"Paul Montgomery" wrote:

On Thu, 11 Sep 2008 02:24:01 -0700, satadru
wrote:

"Paul Montgomery" wrote:

On Wed, 10 Sep 2008 22:25:00 -0700, satadru
wrote:

"Paul Montgomery" wrote:

On Wed, 10 Sep 2008 06:34:01 -0700, satadru
wrote:

5. Despite umpteen number of reboots, shutdowns, uninstalling of USB devices
from the Device Manager, etc., all the 4 rear-side USB ports behave as if
they are USB 1.1 type ports only.

6. Incidentally, the Device Manager displays that there is an enhanced USB
host controller.

Please help as to how I could have them revert to their normal USB 2.0 format.

Got a System Restore point that precedes the problem?

If so, use it.

Did not work at all. Any other suggestions please? I am left banging my head
against the wall!

Delete the host controller(s) and restart.

Deleted, restarted, failed to work.

I'm fresh out of ideas.

I suppose the only other viable alternative would be to install a Hi-Speed
USB PCI card, now. I think the mainboard may have given up on the USB 2.0
feature, itself.

Speaking of which... have you checked the settings in the BIOS on the
odd chance that something in there needs changing?

I have tried every which way with the BIOS settings. The main board of my PC
is of Biostar-make with the latest in BIOS version installed.

Besides trying out all the possible permutations and combinations of USB
Fast/Low speeds and Hi-Speed options, I also invoked the "Optimized BIOS
defaults". All without result.

The only other option which still remains, is to have a USB 2.0 PCI card
installed and hope that it works.
Old September 13th 08, 06:42 AM posted to microsoft.public.windows.vista.hardware_devices
satadru

wrote:

[...]

UPDATES:
1. Installed a USB 2.0 PCI card. Results remain the same. (I was really
surprised to see this.)

2. I normally use a Transcend 8GB flash drive. All the problems hovered
around this flash drive. Just for controlled experimentation purposes, I took
this flash drive to my office and had it connected to one of the Hi-Speed USB
ports of my Dell PC. I was shocked to see that my office PC came out with the
same message.

3. I, therefore, concluded that the problem probably lay with the Transcend
8GB flash drive. My doubts were further fortified when I inserted another 1
GB Transcend flash drive onto my home PC and found that no such message was
being reported and the transfer rates were really as fast as a Hi-Speed
transmission ought to be.

4. Over the weekend, I plan to do the following to narrow down the
possibilities:
(a) Install the recovery software from Transcend website and carry out
recovery procedures on the Transcend 8GB flash drive.
(b) Download the latest version of BIOS for my Biostar mainboard and install
it.

I will keep posting the developments as and when they happen per the above
plans.

Thanks in advance.