Vista Banter

-   -   How to revert a USB 1.1 port to USB 2.0 port. (http://www.vistabanter.com/140102-how-revert-usb-1-1-port-usb-2-0-port.html)

satadru September 10th 08 01:34 PM

How to revert a USB 1.1 port to USB 2.0 port.

Dear All,

I need your help. Following are the facts of the case in seriatim, to
facilitate in easier understanding of the situation:

1. You see I have Vista OS installed on my PC.

2. My PC has 4 USB ports on the rear-side, which I know for sure are USB 2.0
Hi-Speed Ports. Before facing this issue, I could connect any Hi-Speed USB
device to any of these ports and have data transferred at high speed rates,
normally.

3. Yesterday, I had attached a cheap Chinese-make USB hub to one of those
rear ports. The device installed itself quite normally and messages to the
effect that drivers for the same had been installed, were given.

4. Soon after I had removed the USB hub and had my 8GB pendrive attached to
the same USB port, I was given a message which stated that "the device could
perform better if I had connected to a higher speed port".

5. Despite umpteen number of reboots, shutdowns, uninstalling of USB devices
from the Device Manager, etc., all the 4 rear-side USB ports behave as if
they are USB 1.1 type ports only.

6. Incidentally, the Device Manager displays that there is an enhanced USB
host controller.

Please help as to how I could have them revert to their normal USB 2.0 format.

Thanks in advance.

Paul Montgomery[_3_] September 10th 08 09:53 PM

How to revert a USB 1.1 port to USB 2.0 port.

On Wed, 10 Sep 2008 06:34:01 -0700, satadru
wrote:

5. Despite umpteen number of reboots, shutdowns, uninstalling of USB devices
from the Device Manager, etc., all the 4 rear-side USB ports behave as if
they are USB 1.1 type ports only.

6. Incidentally, the Device Manager displays that there is an enhanced USB
host controller.

Please help as to how I could have them revert to their normal USB 2.0 format.

Got a System Restore point that precedes the problem?

If so, use it.

J September 10th 08 11:19 PM

How to revert a USB 1.1 port to USB 2.0 port.

Wednesday eve

This happened to me a few months ago.

Not sure exactly because all appeared to be working OK until I attached a
thumb-drive to use for ready-boost.

I have removed all of the usb instances from the device manager about once a
week. No joy.

And also:
6. Incidentally, the Device Manager displays that there is an enhanced USB
host controller.

Advise please

satadru September 11th 08 05:25 AM

wrote:

5. Despite umpteen number of reboots, shutdowns, uninstalling of USB devices
from the Device Manager, etc., all the 4 rear-side USB ports behave as if
they are USB 1.1 type ports only.

6. Incidentally, the Device Manager displays that there is an enhanced USB
host controller.

Please help as to how I could have them revert to their normal USB 2.0 format.

Got a System Restore point that precedes the problem?

If so, use it.

Did not work at all. Any other suggestions please? I am left banging my head
against the wall!

Paul Montgomery[_3_] September 11th 08 06:23 AM

How to revert a USB 1.1 port to USB 2.0 port.

wrote:

5. Despite umpteen number of reboots, shutdowns, uninstalling of USB devices
from the Device Manager, etc., all the 4 rear-side USB ports behave as if
they are USB 1.1 type ports only.

6. Incidentally, the Device Manager displays that there is an enhanced USB
host controller.

Please help as to how I could have them revert to their normal USB 2.0 format.

Got a System Restore point that precedes the problem?

If so, use it.

Did not work at all. Any other suggestions please? I am left banging my head
against the wall!

Delete the host controller(s) and restart.

satadru September 11th 08 09:24 AM

wrote:

5. Despite umpteen number of reboots, shutdowns, uninstalling of USB devices
from the Device Manager, etc., all the 4 rear-side USB ports behave as if
they are USB 1.1 type ports only.

6. Incidentally, the Device Manager displays that there is an enhanced USB
host controller.

Please help as to how I could have them revert to their normal USB 2.0 format.

Got a System Restore point that precedes the problem?

If so, use it.

Did not work at all. Any other suggestions please? I am left banging my head
against the wall!

Delete the host controller(s) and restart.

Deleted, restarted, failed to work.

Paul Montgomery[_3_] September 11th 08 10:24 AM

How to revert a USB 1.1 port to USB 2.0 port.

wrote:

5. Despite umpteen number of reboots, shutdowns, uninstalling of USB devices
from the Device Manager, etc., all the 4 rear-side USB ports behave as if
they are USB 1.1 type ports only.

6. Incidentally, the Device Manager displays that there is an enhanced USB
host controller.

Please help as to how I could have them revert to their normal USB 2.0 format.

Got a System Restore point that precedes the problem?

If so, use it.

Did not work at all. Any other suggestions please? I am left banging my head
against the wall!

Delete the host controller(s) and restart.

Deleted, restarted, failed to work.

I'm fresh out of ideas.

satadru September 11th 08 10:54 AM

wrote:

5. Despite umpteen number of reboots, shutdowns, uninstalling of USB devices
from the Device Manager, etc., all the 4 rear-side USB ports behave as if
they are USB 1.1 type ports only.

6. Incidentally, the Device Manager displays that there is an enhanced USB
host controller.

Please help as to how I could have them revert to their normal USB 2.0 format.

Got a System Restore point that precedes the problem?

If so, use it.

Did not work at all. Any other suggestions please? I am left banging my head
against the wall!

Delete the host controller(s) and restart.

Deleted, restarted, failed to work.

I'm fresh out of ideas.

I suppose the only other viable alternative would be to install a Hi-Speed
USB PCI card, now. I think the mainboard may have given up on the USB 2.0
feature, itself.

Paul Montgomery[_3_] September 11th 08 11:52 AM

How to revert a USB 1.1 port to USB 2.0 port.

wrote:

[...]

Speaking of which... have you checked the settings in the BIOS on the
odd chance that something in there needs changing?

J September 11th 08 01:28 PM

How to revert a USB 1.1 port to USB 2.0 port.

For me: I have also tried ALL of the suggestions.
BIOS is correct.

A number of articles found through google identify some problems with an win
update in the spring.

For me the problem started at the end of June, or so.

The hub is identified as fast, but the connections are not.

I have a printer, mouse, ready boost disk, and a couple of thumb-disks I use
for utilities. When any are first connected the message about choosing a
fast port is displayed.