Active Directory

Old December 18th 06, 03:49 PM posted to microsoft.public.windows.vista.general,microsoft.public.windows.vista.networking_sharing
Guest

Default Active Directory

Hello all:

After I joined the Vista (business) client to Windows 2003 active directory
domain I am not able to login. I get an error message "There is a time
and/or date difference between the client and server". Does anybody know a
workaround for this issue? I am trying to login from wired desktop machine.

Thanks for you help.

Ciao.

Old December 18th 06, 04:55 PM posted to microsoft.public.windows.vista.general,microsoft.public.windows.vista.networking_sharing
Josh Phillips

The client and domain have to be within 5 min of one another. The
workstation should get set automatically once it joins. How long did you
allow the workstation to sit before trying again? Have you tried
restarting?

Josh
http://windowsconnected.com

Old December 18th 06, 07:45 PM posted to microsoft.public.windows.vista.general,microsoft.public.windows.vista.networking_sharing
Alexander Suhovey

ocean,

Compare BOTH time and time zone on Vista computer and domain controller or
working domain member. They must be the same (if DC and client are in the
same TZ of course).

You can also compare domain and local time by using following commands
(issued at the command line window):

domain time:
net time /domainOMAINNAME

local time:
net time \\computername

Another way to see if there is ane time difference between two computers (in
our case client and domain controller) is to use following command:

w32tm /stripchart /computer:%logonserver%

You will see an output like following:

C:\w32tm /stripchart /computer:%logonserver%
Tracking xxxxx [xx.xx.xx.xx:123].
The current time is 18.12.2006 23:37:32.
23:37:32 d:+00.2333835s o:+00.0926771s
23:37:34 d:+00.2324070s o:+00.0839907s
23:37:36 d:+00.2265480s o:+00.0876074s
23:37:39 d:+00.2324070s o:+00.0886690s
23:37:41 d:+00.2285010s o:+00.0868597s

where +00.xxx is time difference between hosts.

If your Vista computer is domain joined, %logonserver% environment variable
shoud resolve to the name of domain controller. Otherwise, substitute it
with server name you consider as authoritative time server (e.g. your LAN
server or public time server like time.windows.com)

HTH

--
Alexander Suhovey

Old December 19th 06, 02:27 PM posted to microsoft.public.windows.vista.general,microsoft.public.windows.vista.networking_sharing
Guest

Hi Alexander:

Thanks so much for sharing your thoughts.