Vista Business x64 acting strange after RAM upgrade

Old September 12th 08, 08:03 PM posted to microsoft.public.windows.vista.hardware_devices
thepicklator

Default Vista Business x64 acting strange after RAM upgrade

Specs:
Core 2 Quad Q6600
4GB DDR2 800 OCZ RAM
400GB Harddrive
Motherboard: Intel DG965OT
GeForce 8800GT (G92)
Vista Business x64 with SP1

Hello everyone, I would appreciate some help if possible. I used to
have 2GB of Samsung RAM in my computer which was replaced with the RAM
stated in my specs. Now here is the problem. Both Vista AND the BIOS
report 4GB of RAM. I downloaded some utilities that show the amount RAM
in Windows and they all showed 4GB. Now comes the strange perplexing
part, not a single application, whether a game or other intensive
application will use the memory. I'm receiving very poor performance in
games. According to the performance monitor on my keyboard's LCD
(Logitech G15) RAM usage never ever goes above 54%. With Vista using up
1.3GB and leaving about 900MB for apps I get performance that is
ridiculously horrendous. Of course it runs just fine for general usage
which is why I'm able to post here as Web browsers are not very
demanding. What I don't understand is why this behavior is occurring. Is
there something I'm missing? I really want this RAM to work as I really
don't want to go back to Windows XP. Now I've seen that many people have
solved their RAM woes by enabling a memory remapping and/or memory hole
option in their BIOS. This is not an option for me as my computer is a
Gateway OEM and the BIOS options are very limited and/or nonexistant. I
also cannot flash the BIOS with Intel's stock BIOS as I've already tried
and it refuses to run as the BIOS IDs are different. Another thing that
puzzled me is that when I had 4GB installed with Vista Premium 32bit the
RAM worked flawlessly but of course only 3GB were recognized. I did not
bother to enable PAE and whatnot as I received my Vista Business x64 DVD
with SP1 a couple of days later. I've tried three different RAM kits and
all of them had the same issues. I also do not believe memory is leaking
as performance does not deteriorate when quitting an application, but as
mentioned, only 54% gets used. I apologize for the long post but I would
really appreciate some help. Take care and thanks in advance for any
replies.

--
thepicklator
Old September 13th 08, 10:26 PM posted to microsoft.public.windows.vista.hardware_devices
thepicklator

I don't mean to spam and bump my thread, but I want to clarify
something. My system memory IS "leaking." Whenever I run a program and
exit it doesn't give the memory used up back to Windows for other apps
to use.

--
thepicklator
Old September 13th 08, 10:38 PM posted to microsoft.public.windows.vista.hardware_devices
Curious[_4_]

How do you know that is not just being kept in disk cache which and is
therefore available if needed without reading from disk and is of course
also available if another app starts and there is no memory available
memory.

Old September 15th 08, 08:22 PM posted to microsoft.public.windows.vista.hardware_devices
Timothy Davis [MSFT]

It might be something superfetch is doing to you.

http://www.tomshardware.com/reviews/...yzed,1532.html

Try disabling this service and see if you get your memory back. Keep in
mind that in many scenarios superfetch will speed up your system - at the
expense if using up some of your memory.

Old September 17th 08, 08:13 PM posted to microsoft.public.windows.vista.hardware_devices
thepicklator

I managed to fix this problem by forcing the stock intel BIOS to install
over the OEM version from Gateway by booting the computer in recovery
mode (Setting the jumpers on the motherboard to "BIOS Recovery Mode".)
Thanks anyways.

--
thepicklator
Old October 22nd 08, 12:51 AM posted to microsoft.public.windows.vista.hardware_devices
RandomKillah[_2_]

thepicklator;100333 Wrote:
I managed to fix this problem by forcing the stock intel BIOS to
install
over the OEM version from Gateway by booting the computer in recovery
mode (Setting the jumpers on the motherboard to "BIOS Recovery Mode".)
Thanks anyways.

--
thepicklator

Hey, I have a Gateway as well and was wondering how you determined
which BIOS to use as well as where you found the stock Intel BIOS? I
cant seem to locate them.

Thanks.

--
RandomKillah
RandomKillah's Profile: http://winvistaclub.com/forum/member.php?userid=716

Old October 22nd 08, 10:06 AM posted to microsoft.public.windows.vista.hardware_devices
Rick Rogers

Hi,

A stock BIOS would come from the board manufacturer. If you open the case
and determine that actual make/model of the motherboard, it should be easy
to find one. However, installing a stock BIOS over a modified OEM one may
result in loss of functionality and void any warranty. Quite often,
modifications are done on OEM systems and a stock BIOS may not support them.

--
Best of Luck,

http://mvp.support.microsoft.com/
Windows help - www.rickrogers.org