sharing windows mail and synchronizing

Old January 5th 09, 05:09 PM posted to microsoft.public.windows.vista.file_management,microsoft.public.windows.vista.networking_sharing,microsoft.public.windows.vista.mail
Guest

Default sharing windows mail and synchronizing

The more recent versions of Outlook (2003 and more recent) will run
under Vista, but Vista does not come with them already included.
Outlook Express (a different program) will not run under Vista.

Robert Miles

"Bob Weickert" wrote in message
I've recently purchased a Dell PC with Windows Vista Home Basic (and thus
Windows Mail) installed. This replaced the Outlook email on my previous
computer. My ISP is Earthlink and I get my mail through them.
Previously,
when I clossed Outlook, I was prompted to synchronize the two addr
books...Outlook's and Earthlink Web Mail's. Now I seem unable to maintain
the two in sync unless I make each change in two places, which is not
practical. Is there any function or program that will enable me to keep
the
two addr books, one on this PC under Windows Mail and one on the Web under
Earthlink, in sync? This is painful loss of function.

"Gary VanderMolen" wrote:

You didn't confuse me. I merely indicated you can upgrade your
Windows Mail to Windows Live Mail if you want contacts to be
synced across multiple computers.

Data that is not indexed (such as pictures) can be copied any
way you want, including the Windows Explorer file manager.
However, indexed data, like email messages, should only be
copied by using the program's export/import facility.

--
Gary VanderMolen, MS-MVP (Mail)

"CdLSRN" wrote in message

"Gary VanderMolen" wrote in message
1. The only way you can share contacts and keep them synced
is to upgrade to Windows Live Mail (WLM) on both computers.
WLM uses a Hotmail account as the middleman for syncing.

2. Not a mail question, thus off-topic here.

3. POP accounts can't be synced. You would have to switch
to IMAP accounts.

4. I have both Ultimate and Home Premium on separate Vista
computers, and I can't tell the difference.

--
Gary VanderMolen, MS-MVP (Mail)

"cdlsrn" no spam @nospam.com wrote in message
I have a new Dell xps 420. I have a 750GB hd for Operating system, and
1IB
drive partitioned with E = documents windows mail with newsgroups and
contacts, favorites
F= Music G= pictures H= videos I = 1tb external backup drive

I just got a HP Pavilion dv7t-100 laptop. It has 2 - 250 gb hard
drives. I
would like to share and synchronize Windows Mail and eventually the
computers. But first things first.

I put my contacts into a sharing folder via Live Messenger and sent it
the laptop. It is now on the laptop as
C:\users\ginnyrn\contacts\contacts.In
Windows Mail when I open contacts, it opens the folder that has a
folder
in
it called contacts and then I have to click on that to see the
contacts. I
have 3 identities that I am successfully receiving mail from but the
mail
stays in whichever computer I open it in. Can someone please tell me.
I have an internet connection with a Linksys wrt600n router. I am
running
Win Vista Ultimate on the desktop and Home Premium on the laptop.

#1 - how do I get rid of the double contacts\contacts?
#2 - should I partition this computer? If so how do I do it with the
2 -
250gb hard drives?
#3 - can I get the mail into synchronization before I tackle the rest
of
the
computer?
#4 - should I upgrade the laptop to Vista Ultimate?
#5 = whatever you can tell me to help before I get this new machine in
trouble Thank you

I have Windows Live on each machine just to use the file sharing and to
talk
to some friends. But I don't use it for mail. I use Windows Mail on
both
machines. Sorry I confused you.
What program should I use to transfer my data from the desktop to the
laptop.?? Will my pictures which are coming fromG:\ windows\user\ etc.
?? on
the desktop go to c:\windows\user\pictures??

Do I need to partition the laptop so the files won't be confused as to
where
to go??

Old July 14th 09, 08:36 AM posted to microsoft.public.windows.vista.file_management,microsoft.public.windows.vista.networking_sharing,microsoft.public.windows.vista.mail
[email protected]

"cdlsrn" wrote:

I have a new Dell xps 420. I have a 750GB hd for Operating system, and a 1IB
drive partitioned with E = documents windows mail with newsgroups and
contacts, favorites
F= Music G= pictures H= videos I = 1tb external backup drive

I just got a HP Pavilion dv7t-100 laptop. It has 2 - 250 gb hard drives. I
would like to share and synchronize Windows Mail and eventually the
computers. But first things first.

I put my contacts into a sharing folder via Live Messenger and sent it to

#1 - how do I get rid of the double contacts\contacts?
#2 - should I partition this computer? If so how do I do it with the 2 -
250gb hard drives?
#3 - can I get the mail into synchronization before I tackle the rest of the
computer?
#4 - should I upgrade the laptop to Vista Ultimate?
#5 = whatever you can tell me to help before I get this new machine in
trouble Thank you