Problems with external hard drive in Windows Vista

Old September 14th 08, 10:18 PM posted to microsoft.public.windows.vista.hardware_devices
lovehunter

Default Problems with external hard drive in Windows Vista

I have a usb external hard drive (Freecom 80GB). Ever since friday I
have been unable to access this drive. It doesn't show up in my computer
whereas previously it was the J drive. It doesn't show up on the disk
managment thing. In device manager It has USB mass storage device and in
this it has a yellow triangle with a black exclamation mark in it. When
you right click and select properties it has an error message which says
'This device cannot start. (Code 10)'. I would appreciate any help in
getting this drive to work again or advice about how I could possibly
get the data off it.

--
lovehunter

Old September 15th 08, 11:25 AM posted to microsoft.public.windows.vista.hardware_devices
lovehunter

Everything is turned on. I occasionally get a blue flashing light on the
front of the drive.

--
lovehunter
Old September 17th 08, 02:26 PM posted to microsoft.public.windows.vista.hardware_devices
---Fitz---

"lovehunter" wrote in message

Everything is turned on. I occasionally get a blue flashing light on the
front of the drive.

--
lovehunter

The easiest way to solve a USB error code 10 in Windows XP is to follow the
steps below to remove and reinstall all USB controllers.
A. Click on Start
B. Right Click on My Computer, click on Properties
C.Click on the Hardware tab
D. Click the Device Manager button.
E. Expand Universal Serial Bus controllers section.
F. Right-click every device under the Universal Serial Bus controllers node,
and then click Uninstall to remove them one at a time.
G. Restart the computer, and allow the computer to reinstall the USB
controllers.
H. Plug in the removable USB storage device, and then test to make sure that
the issue is resolved.

Credit to http://www.pchell.com/hardware/usbcode10.shtml

Old September 17th 08, 07:00 PM posted to microsoft.public.windows.vista.hardware_devices
lovehunter

Sorry Fitz but that didn't work.

--
lovehunter
Old September 17th 08, 07:44 PM posted to microsoft.public.windows.vista.hardware_devices
Paul Montgomery[_3_]

On Wed, 17 Sep 2008 14:00:44 -0500, lovehunter
wrote:

Sorry Fitz but that didn't work.

Do you have another computer - a friend's perhaps - that you can plug
it into to test it?

It might just have died.
Old September 17th 08, 10:37 PM posted to microsoft.public.windows.vista.hardware_devices
unknown[_2_]

Paul Montgomery wrote in
:

wrote:

Sorry Fitz but that didn't work.

Do you have another computer - a friend's perhaps - that you can plug
it into to test it?

It might just have died.

Assuming its dead would it still be possible to get the data off it. I am
trying to see if I can get hold of another computer to test.
Old September 17th 08, 11:14 PM posted to microsoft.public.windows.vista.hardware_devices
Paul Montgomery[_3_]

On Wed, 17 Sep 2008 22:37:56 GMT, unknown
wrote:

Paul Montgomery wrote in
:

wrote:

Sorry Fitz but that didn't work.

Do you have another computer - a friend's perhaps - that you can plug
it into to test it?

It might just have died.

Assuming its dead would it still be possible to get the data off it. I am
trying to see if I can get hold of another computer to test.

Maybe its power supply has problems. If that's the case, then yes.

I that's not the case and the drive has died... still, yes - but it
will probaby cost you as much or more than your computer is worth to
have it done.
Old September 18th 08, 12:06 AM posted to microsoft.public.windows.vista.hardware_devices
Curious[_4_]

If the power supply or the interface card in the USB unit has failed and not
the drive itself you will be able to get the data off of it in another
computer.
"Paul Montgomery" wrote in message
On Wed, 17 Sep 2008 22:37:56 GMT, unknown
wrote:

Paul Montgomery wrote in
m: