Vista Banter

-   Windows Vista File Management (http://www.vistabanter.com/windows-vista-file-management/)
-   -   Taming or understanding Vista file manager (http://www.vistabanter.com/140533-taming-understanding-vista-file-manager.html)

Dr. DOS September 15th 08 04:11 AM

Taming or understanding Vista file manager

Vista Home Premium.
I have a file, call it fred.txt.
I want to locate it. I start at the top of the file
hierarchy (harddrive c: (computer\harddrive C (not
desktop)). As I type into the search window, winexplorer
churns away and produces a "yellow pages" full of files, but
not fred.txt. I know fred exists. In fact, as a test (after
I laboriously find it another way), I can start the search
in the exact directory fred lives, and Vista still does not
find it. fred.txt is not hidden or system.
This experience covers more than my experimental fred.txt.
It happens with numerous files both created and installed.
All the permissions and sharings I can set for every folder,
and subfolder, all and every and owner and user, etc, have
been done. I have set owner to me (with admin powers, etc).
For file/folder options settings are not to hide anything,
show all extensions, etc.
What is the secret that will allow Vista Home Premium
WinExplorer/file manager to act like WinXP Pro file manager,
or at least act rationally?

Gordon[_5_] September 15th 08 07:04 AM

"Dr. DOS" wrote in message
[...]

Are you creating these files in locations that are being indexed?
(To change Indexing Options do Control Panel-Indexing Options)

Oscar September 15th 08 05:52 PM

Taming or understanding Vista file manager

When searching for files try this: don't use the file extension such as .txt.
just the file name. Example: search for "proaudio" and not "proaudio.log".
Also search non-indexed files.
--
oscar :)

....Right click is your very good friend...

Dr. Dos September 17th 08 02:33 AM

Gordon wrote:
"Dr. DOS" wrote in message
[...]

I have adjusted indexing options. I can now find fred, BUT
the search function is still too broad. I. E., it finds
variations on fred.xxx, but also finds xxx(*).fre, etc. All
I want is for search to function as it used to in xp, 98,
95. that is, I want to search for a file that starts with
fred not *fred* and not *.* with fred in the text. I do not
want SEARCH to start looking before I finish entering my
criteria. Can you help?

Gordon[_5_] September 17th 08 07:51 AM

"Dr. Dos" wrote in message

I have adjusted indexing options. I can now find fred, BUT the search
function is still too broad. I. E., it finds variations on fred.xxx, but
also finds xxx(*).fre, etc. All I want is for search to function as it
used to in xp, 98, 95. that is, I want to search for a file that starts
with fred not *fred* and not *.* with fred in the text. I do not want
SEARCH to start looking before I finish entering my criteria. Can you
help?

Do WinKey+F and the Search folder window opens - click on Advanced Search.

HTH

retroman September 17th 08 04:10 PM

On Tue, 16 Sep 2008 21:33:18 -0500, "Dr. Dos" wrote:

I have adjusted indexing options. I can now find fred, BUT
the search function is still too broad. I. E., it finds
variations on fred.xxx, but also finds xxx(*).fre, etc. All
I want is for search to function as it used to in xp, 98,
95. that is, I want to search for a file that starts with
fred not *fred* and not *.* with fred in the text. I do not
want SEARCH to start looking before I finish entering my
criteria. Can you help?

Hello Dr. DOS,

You cannot prevent WDS from starting to search as you are typing. However, most of
your difficulties are caused by using the old-style search syntax. Forget that, and
learn the proper syntax for WDS 4. It is different but it works nicely. For
example, try pasting in this query:

filename:Fred* AND ext:txt

It will return only text files that start with the string "Fred" (Fred.txt,
Frederick.txt, etc.). Including "filename:" or "file:" before the string ensures
that only the desired files will be returned. Text files with other names but with
the string "Fred" in their contents will be ignored.

The basics of the new syntax are shown in the Vista help screen "Tips for finding
files". Additional details are found in the WDS 4 query guide:

http://www.microsoft.com/windows/pro.../advquery.mspx

Doug M. in NJ

dickleb November 15th 08 09:11 PM

Taming or understanding Vista file manager

Hi,

I'm new to this forum and new to Vista so I may not be doing this
correctly.

My question is how do I search within the File Manager. I don't see any
option for using the search function when I'm in Vista Home Premium. I'm
sure it's there but I can't find it. Any help is greatly appreciated.

RJB2020

--
dickleb

Louie[_5_] November 15th 08 10:50 PM

Taming or understanding Vista file manager

On Sat, 15 Nov 2008 15:11:22 -0600, dickleb
wrote:

Hi,

I'm new to this forum and new to Vista so I may not be doing this
correctly.

My question is how do I search within the File Manager. I don't see any
option for using the search function when I'm in Vista Home Premium. I'm
sure it's there but I can't find it. Any help is greatly appreciated.

Click the Start Orb. Look at the bottom where it says "Start Search"

That's where you type your search terms.