"Could not find this item..." Nothing works!

Old September 16th 08, 09:02 AM posted to microsoft.public.windows.vista.file_management
kredge

Default "Could not find this item..." Nothing works!

Hello. I've been having trouble for a while now I have been searching
online and none of the solutions will work for me. I have many files
that just wont delete. I try to delete them and they say: "Could not
find this item this is no longer located in
"C:/users/britts/documents/saved. Verify the items location and try
again. " They are just music and pictures about 50 files total. I cant
do anything with them I cant move them copy them delete them drag them
to the recycle bin or anything. I have tried using command prompt as
administrator I have tried to take ownership Ive used many of those
unlocker programs nothing will make these files disappear! And the weird
thing is that they only show up in search. When I look in the folder
where they're supposed to be there's nothing. Help is appreciated asap
I'm starting to tear my hair out. Thanks

--
kredge
kredge's Profile: http://forums.techarena.in/members/kredge.htm

http://forums.techarena.in

Old September 16th 08, 10:18 AM posted to microsoft.public.windows.vista.file_management
Richard Urban

Run chkdsk from an elevated command prompt. Check the drive with the /f /r
adders.

Ex: chkdsk c: /f /r

This will sort out any drive problems you may be experiencing. Note that if
the drive is really bad, chkdsk may not - in fact - complete it testing.
Replace the drive.

--

Richard Urban
Microsoft MVP

Old September 16th 08, 04:21 PM posted to microsoft.public.windows.vista.file_management
Oscar

And the weird
thing is that they only show up in search. When I look in the folder
where they're supposed to be there's nothing.

If your folders are only showing up in Search but you can't find those files
when you go to the folders where Search says they exist then update your
Search Index.

If you are trying to open those files using a program such as GOM or WMP11
and the error message with a red X states that the files have been moved then
those files have been moved or have been deleted already. Also, look in your
Recyle Bin.

--
oscar

....Right click is your very good friend...

Old September 16th 08, 06:49 PM posted to microsoft.public.windows.vista.file_management
kredge[_2_]

Thank you for your replies. I will run the chkdsk again. How do you
update your search index? Thanks

Old September 16th 08, 08:46 PM posted to microsoft.public.windows.vista.file_management
Oscar

Hi Kredge,

Your index requires virtually no maintenance. Search index updates itself in
the background while your computer is on. However, if the index has problems
finding files that you know should be located in an indexed location, you
might need to rebuild (update) the index. This can take a long time to
complete, so avoid performing this step unless you have given the index
enough time (several hours) to correct any problems first.

To rebuild the index:
1. Start Control Panel System and Maintenance Indexing Options
Advanced Rebuild
2. Click Advanced, click the Index Settings tab, and then click Rebuild. If
you are prompted for an administrator password or confirmation, type the
password or provide confirmation, such as just depressing Enter on the
keyboard.

Hope this fixes it for you...

Old October 17th 08, 11:06 AM posted to microsoft.public.windows.vista.file_management
cutiesnowgirl100

thank you so much oscar, thats worked for me...taken months to find a
solution! you are my hero i can finally search easily now without all
of my old uni files appearing thank you

--
cutiesnowgirl100

Old November 1st 08, 07:37 PM posted to microsoft.public.windows.vista.file_management
aeryn

Richard Urban;996945 Wrote:
Run chkdsk from an elevated command prompt. Check the drive with the /f
/r
adders.

Ex: chkdsk c: /f /r

This will sort out any drive problems you may be experiencing. Note
that if
the drive is really bad, chkdsk may not - in fact - complete it
testing.
Replace the drive.

I am a newbie when it comes to computers ... I 've been having the same
problem as the original poster ... except when i go to the location the
folder is still there but when i try to delete it it says it is no
longer located there.

I assume the same solutions given apply to my situation as well so
could someone please explain how i run the above from an elevated
command prompt, pretty please .

--
aeryn

Old November 1st 08, 08:55 PM posted to microsoft.public.windows.vista.file_management
Richard Urban

Start | all Programs | accessories

Right click command prompt

Choose "Run As Administrator"

Old September 2nd 09, 06:03 PM posted to microsoft.public.windows.vista.file_management
John Galt

Jamesinator5 wrote:

THIS WORKS!

[snip]