cd drives don't function

Old September 16th 08, 12:11 PM posted to microsoft.public.windows.vista.hardware_devices
meron

Default cd drives don't function

Please help me - both my CD rom and CD write stopped working. When I asked
for advice from HP, I received the wrong instructions from someone who was
probably an amateur who instructed me to uninstall both drives in Device
Manager resulting in disappeaance of both my drives from the Device Manager
and I have no idea how to find them so that I can reinstall them and hope
that they will work.

Please help me!!!

Thanks.

Raya

Old September 16th 08, 03:13 PM posted to microsoft.public.windows.vista.hardware_devices
Paul Montgomery[_3_]

On Tue, 16 Sep 2008 14:11:49 +0200, "meron" wrote:

Please help me - both my CD rom and CD write stopped working. When I asked
for advice from HP, I received the wrong instructions from someone who was
probably an amateur who instructed me to uninstall both drives in Device
Manager resulting in disappeaance of both my drives from the Device Manager
and I have no idea how to find them so that I can reinstall them and hope
that they will work.

Did you restart after uninstalling them?
Old September 16th 08, 05:58 PM posted to microsoft.public.windows.vista.hardware_devices
LVTravel[_2_]

"meron" wrote in message
Please help me - both my CD rom and CD write stopped working. When I
asked for advice from HP, I received the wrong instructions from someone
who was probably an amateur who instructed me to uninstall both drives in
Device Manager resulting in disappeaance of both my drives from the Device
Manager and I have no idea how to find them so that I can reinstall them
and hope that they will work.

Please help me!!!

Thanks.

Raya

If they don't reappear after restarting the computer (as suggested by Paul),
and you lost both of them at the same time, you need to figure out what you
were doing or installing just before the failure of the drives.

If you had done nothing, you may have to shut down the system, open the case
and reseat the drive's ribbon data cable (most manufacturers will put both
drives on the same data cable) on the motherboard's interface connector.
The data cable can work loose because of vibration and also thermal stress
of shutting down and turning on the computer. Gently pull the cable
straight up (it may have a plastic tab to assist in pulling it up.) Align
the cable end with the motherboard connector and press firmly in place
again. Don't touch the pins on the motherboard with your fingers and don't
move any other cables while performing this feat.

Do the drives open and close with the front button on each drive? If yes,
there is some power getting to them. If they don't open or no lights show
on the front of them when turning on the system, the power cable is either
disconnected or the power supply cable has gone bad. See if there is
another ps cable not connected to anything and try hooking that cable to one
drive or both drives if there are two connectors on it.

Old September 16th 08, 07:34 PM posted to microsoft.public.windows.vista.hardware_devices
tanuj_chadha[_8_]

And you can also check the the system setup, to check if the drives are
getting detected. Because once you uninstall the drive from device
manager you should get the drive back after a restart. If the drive is
not shown in BIOS as well then re-seat the cables. But make sure you do
that gently, as the cables are a bit delicate. And if you have a IDE
hard drive then you can also try to swap the optical drive cables with
the hdd. To check if the cables are working fine or not.

Hope it helps

--
tanuj_chadha

Tanuj

History repeats itself, first as tragedy, second as farce. - Karl
Marx :geek:
Old September 16th 08, 08:07 PM posted to microsoft.public.windows.vista.hardware_devices
Peter Foldes

Also applies to Vista

Worth a shot. Try the following and see if it will reappear in working order

Peter

Old September 23rd 08, 10:40 PM posted to microsoft.public.windows.vista.hardware_devices
Superkev

I had a similar problem after installing a skytronics parallel to USB cable
and driver disk. They also disappeared from device manager and wouldn't
return
Got them back by using system restore to go back to an earlier time.
Kev
Using Vista 64SP1 ( for which no Epson 1650 scanner drivers and no HP 1120
printer drivers are to ever be available. - Bah)