New hard drive not showing up!!!

Old September 16th 08, 05:55 PM posted to microsoft.public.windows.vista.hardware_devices
scubafanatic

Default New hard drive not showing up!!!

I recently bought an extra internal hard drive for my computer - which
runs windows vista. I installed it and put the power cable and SATA
cable in and it shows up in Device Manager. But it doesn't show up in
my computer as an additional hard drive. I believe I have to format it
or something. How do I do that?

--
scubafanatic
scubafanatic's Profile: http://winvistaclub.com/forum/member.php?userid=444

Old September 16th 08, 06:53 PM posted to microsoft.public.windows.vista.hardware_devices
JerryM

Does your new drive have a letter assigned to it?
Device manager can create a new simple volume that formats it for you.

Just in case you are not familiar with it please follow:
Right click computer and select manage, select disk management
your new disk should show up if you go to full screen.
Then right click your new drive and select New Simple Volume.

Old September 16th 08, 09:46 PM posted to microsoft.public.windows.vista.hardware_devices
scubafanatic[_2_]

JerryM;99919 Wrote: [color=blue]
Does your new drive have a letter assigned to it?
Device manager can create a new simple volume that formats it for you.

Just in case you are not familiar with it please follow:
Right click computer and select manage, select disk management
your new disk should show up if you go to full screen.
Then right click your new drive and select New Simple Volume.

"scubafanatic" wrote in message

I recently bought an extra internal hard drive for my computer -

which
runs windows vista. I installed it and put the power cable and SATA
cable in and it shows up in Device Manager. But it doesn't show up

in
my computer as an additional hard drive. I believe I have to format

it
or something. How do I do that?

Thanks for the response! I did that and it says that the drive is not
initialized. It gives me 2 options, MBR or GPT. Which should I choose?

Old September 16th 08, 11:38 PM posted to microsoft.public.windows.vista.hardware_devices
JerryM

I would choose MBR (Master Boot Record)
It usually asks if you want to select 32 bit or NTFS
choose NTFS.
After it is thru the format and you have a new partition, you can shrink it
down and make another partition if you want to.