Can't do a "save as" with Vista...and more

Old September 16th 08, 11:33 PM posted to microsoft.public.windows.vista.file_management
ernst32

Default Can't do a "save as" with Vista...and more

Sorry for the length and craziness of this post in advance, and thanks
for any help!
Initially I was going to say I could not save anything at all in
Vista, but now it seems that if I use the "save" option I can sometimes
save something if I am quick. But most times, regardless whether it is
the "save as" or the "save" command I use, I will get the whole "Office
word has stopped working and needs to close " message. Also this
started as what I thought was just a problem with IE because when I
tried to download a file online using the whole "save link as" or the
save option instead of run, the windows save as box (not sure what to
call it) will come up where I would select where I want to save, but
then if I try to use it to navigate to a folder or to just save it where
it first opens up, it would just disappear...no error message or
anything no browser crashing or anything. So I started to do the whole
system restore thing only to find that I needed to do a check disk
first....well it turns out I had to go through this forum to find a
solution as to why the chkdsk would not run on startup when I scheduled
it....went through the forum post on that only to find I could not
download the file I needed to replace the autochk.exe or whatever it was
called. Saw the post about how to get it to run by pressing F8 and got
chkdsk to run that way. Ran it once and system restore told me I still
had to run it again...so i did... Finally system restore kicked in...but
I got an error saying it could not complete the restore for some obscure
reason...there was an error number didn't write it down though. Tried
it again from a different restore point same thing. So now I am at a
loss as to what to do...also I should mention I can no longer open IE by
clicking on its exe...no error just nothing happens and I have to use
firefox now. I was ok with the IE just not downloading since I have
Firefox but now I need to write a paper and I found this whole not
being able to save in word problem... I am at a loss. One last thing to
mention before this all happened I started getting an error saying
windows search indexer (i think that was it) has stopped working...I
would get that from time to time but didn't think to much of it...not
sure if thats part of this or not. Hope someone out there has some help.
Thanks in advance!

--
ernst32
Old September 16th 08, 11:37 PM posted to microsoft.public.windows.vista.file_management
SIW2

Hi,

I would try a repair install - I suggest you have a look at the
tutorial and decide

http://www.vistax64.com/tutorials/88...all-vista.html

Hope this helps

SIW2

--
SIW2
Old September 17th 08, 01:02 AM posted to microsoft.public.windows.vista.file_management
ernst32

Hi, thanks for the quick response. I read the notes on that page and I
do not have the full version of vista on disk I only have the
re-installation disk that came with the computer, and according to that
page that will not work. Only for a clean install.

--
ernst32
Old September 17th 08, 01:30 AM posted to microsoft.public.windows.vista.file_management
SIW2

Hi,

You could try doing a System Restore in Safe Mode.

http://www.vistax64.com/tutorials/123496-safe-mode.html

http://www.vistax64.com/tutorials/76...store-how.html

Also, exactly what kind of dvd did you get with your pc - I got an OEM
dvd with mine and I can do everything with it . Can you describe what it
looks like?

What sort of machine do you have ?

Do you have a sticker on your machine with the Vista Product ID ?

Do you also have a Recovery partition ?

You could put your dvd in the drive, click Computer, right click the
dvd drive and click Open - this should open a window that shows all the
files on your dvd. (If it just shows a folder called FRMCXFRE_EN_DVD
etc. - double click that to open it and view the contents ).

It may look like this

6560

Take a screenshot and post it back. To post a screenshot, follow the
steps in this tutorial - step 7 onwards. To get to the place in step 7,
click the Go Advanced button at the bottom of this page.

http://www.vistax64.com/tutorials/14...ool-vista.html

SIW2

|Filename: VISTADVDFILES2008-09-17_022154.jpg |
|Download: http://www.vistax64.com/attachment.p...achmentid=6560 |

SIW2
Old September 17th 08, 12:28 PM posted to microsoft.public.windows.vista.file_management
Richard Urban

The craziness and length is not a problem. Making it easier on the eyes
would help though.

How about sentences and paragraph breaks instead of running it all together.
There are others, beside myself, who will go right past a post like this one
here.

Many who help out here are well up in years and have slight vision
deficiencies. Every little bit helps.

--

Richard Urban
Microsoft MVP

Old September 17th 08, 01:28 PM posted to microsoft.public.windows.vista.file_management
Paul Montgomery[_3_]

On Wed, 17 Sep 2008 08:28:40 -0400, "Richard Urban"
wrote:

Many who help out here are well up in years and have slight vision
deficiencies. Every little bit helps.

Being "well up in years" has nothing to do with it. I'm 64 and can
see just fine.

The OP just plain needs to learn to write properly.
Old September 17th 08, 01:54 PM posted to microsoft.public.windows.vista.file_management
Richard Urban

Aren't we the lucky one then. Bless you - and I hope you don't get
degenerative eye disease like many older people do.

Old September 21st 08, 10:32 PM posted to microsoft.public.windows.vista.file_management
ernst32

Turns out I was wrong about the CD and was able to do a repair install.
Things seem to be working well now. Thanks for the help SIW2, I really
appreciate it.

ernst32

--
ernst32
Old September 21st 08, 11:30 PM posted to microsoft.public.windows.vista.file_management
SIW2

You're welcome - glad it worked out for you.

If you do have the full OEM disk like mine - with all the files as in
the screenshot I posted earlier - you should be fine to do any kind of
repair/ reinstall.

Make sure you get your product key and write it down somewhere safe -
you need that if you reinstall in the future

http://www.vistax64.com/tutorials/85...ey-number.html

SIW2

--
SIW2