Laptop cannot restart; I hate vista, please help

Old September 17th 08, 01:46 AM posted to microsoft.public.windows.vista.hardware_devices
luckysheep

Default Laptop cannot restart; I hate vista, please help

I am totally new user of vista and I have a Lenovo T400. I did nothing
but plug in a usb, install a McAfee version 8.5 and hibernate, and then
error occurs, it says:

"Windows failed to start. An recent hardware or hard software change
might be the cause. ...

File \Boot\BCD
status: 0xc000014c

Info: an error occured while attempting to read the boot configuration
data.":sarc:

I don't know how I can get to the safe mode. I tapped in the F8, and it
asked me to press F1, and it never gave me the screen to let me choose
safe mode. It just gave the error message page.
Since I don't have recovery CD, what should I do?

--
luckysheep
Old September 17th 08, 02:45 AM posted to microsoft.public.windows.vista.hardware_devices
Ramesh Kumar MVP[_31_]

There is two ways to recover ....

@ startup..BIOS prompts to Press a key to start Recovery Option.

and second one much easier....arrange Vista DVD.
Boot from Vista DVD...and select your *Regional Settings*.... now
click on *Repair your Computer*
It automatically scan and trace out booting problem and will prompt to
fix it.

--
Ramesh Kumar MVP

RAMESH KUMAR
Microsoft MVP: 'My MVP Profile'
(https://mvp.support.microsoft.com/profile/Ramesh.Kumar)
My Blog: 'It's My Windows' (http://itsmywindows.com)
Ramesh Kumar MVP's Profile: http://winvistaclub.com/forum/member.php?userid=17
View this thread: http://winvistaclub.com/forum/showthread.php?t=22298

Old September 17th 08, 03:20 AM posted to microsoft.public.windows.vista.hardware_devices
SIW2

Hi,

Seems problem may your McAfee - I would get rid of it after getting
back into the pc.

You could try powering it down , unplug it , take the batteries out ,
leave it 20 mins ,then try again.

If that doesn't work , you will need some kind of cd to boot into it .
First thing is contact Lenovo - they will probably send a copy of the
recovery cd - I know HP do this - you need one long term so definitely
ask for it even if you manage to get in some other way.

If you have access to a working pc - looks like you do, you could make
your own recovery cd

http://www.vistax64.com/tutorials/14...very-disc.html

Hope this helps

SIW2

--
SIW2
Old September 17th 08, 05:28 PM posted to microsoft.public.windows.vista.hardware_devices
luckysheep

Thanks all. I tried recovering itself, but it didn't work. So then I
burned a recovery DVD, then it works!

--
luckysheep

Old September 23rd 08, 03:27 PM posted to microsoft.public.windows.vista.hardware_devices
luckysheep

I guess there are always costs to adjust to the new tech. But I like
this forum, though.

--
luckysheep