Old March 2nd 07, 07:47 AM posted to microsoft.public.windows.vista.hardware_devices
roman modic

Default "good" SATA2 drivers for PCIe JMB360 controller?

Hello!

"Nut Cracker" wrote in message ...
Hello,

I have a board with an onboard SATA2 connector. I put a SATA2 disk on it, and when I installed vista (with the controller in SATA
mode in the bios (asrock 939Dual-SATA2 board)), Vista detected the controller and loaded a default driver, and the install took
about 3 hours. The windows experience disk performance rating was 2.2.

I changed the controller mode to IDE in the bios (which required a reinstall of Vista), but it was way way faster. Now I have a
disk performance rating of 5, but the disk is running in IDE UDMA-6 mode (equiv to SATA150).

I suppose the question is, does anyone know if a suitable SATA2 controller driver exists for Vista that doesnt suck the way the
controller driver that is bundled with Vista does?

I would like to be able to harness the full speed of the SATA2 disk that is in my system.

Here is a KB with an interesting description (6.0.6000.20518)
http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx/kb/KB931369
Quote:
When you try to install Windows Vista on a portable computer that uses
an ATI SB600 Series chipset, each driver may take a long time to install.
Therefore, the Windows Vista installation process may take several hours.

This problem occurs only on a computer that uses a Serial Advanced
Technology Attachment (SATA) device that is operating in Advanced
Host Controller Interface (AHCI) mode. This problem does not occur if
the SATA device uses SATA Combined mode or Parallel Advanced
Technology Attachment (PATA) mode.
And here are new IDE/ATAPI/AHCI drivers (build 6.0.6000.20523)
http://support.microsoft.com/kb/932079

It seems that they are available from:
http://www-307.ibm.com/pc/support/si...IGR-67393.html

Maybe it will help ...