vista x64 will not boot from hard drive, restore, or from dvd driv

Old September 18th 08, 09:53 AM posted to microsoft.public.windows.vista.hardware_devices
max carson

Default vista x64 will not boot from hard drive, restore, or from dvd driv

I had a problem with my dvd-r/rw (tsst ts t633a dvd-r/rw) not being ID'ed in
device manager. I used the troubeshooting procedure for the HP Touch smart IQ
506 I
have and tried to do a system restore, The first restore completed but did
not solve
the drive problem. I went back further in the restore and the system will
not boot.
It's now stuck at the black screen, with the green load bars running, as if
it were loading, no harddisk activity light. The dvd drive does not ID
recovery dvd. The
restore/ recovery (F11) does not respond. When I get to the recovery screen
it will
not respond to any command, safe mode repair, normal load....etc. I have
gotten a
"RAMDISK SETTINGS" ? Ant Ideas ?
Old September 18th 08, 11:32 AM posted to microsoft.public.windows.vista.hardware_devices
Malke[_2_]

max carson wrote:

I had a problem with my dvd-r/rw (tsst ts t633a dvd-r/rw) not being ID'ed
in device manager. I used the troubeshooting procedure for the HP Touch
smart IQ 506 I
have and tried to do a system restore, The first restore completed but did
not solve
the drive problem. I went back further in the restore and the system will
not boot.
It's now stuck at the black screen, with the green load bars running, as
if it were loading, no harddisk activity light. The dvd drive does not ID
recovery dvd. The
restore/ recovery (F11) does not respond. When I get to the recovery
screen it will
not respond to any command, safe mode repair, normal load....etc. I have
gotten a
"RAMDISK SETTINGS" ? Ant Ideas ?

If the DVD drive doesn't work when you try to boot with it and the special
recovery process (F11) doesn't work, then you have hardware problems since
this happens before the operating system (Vista) isn't even loaded. Contact
the computer mftr.'s tech support.

Malke
--
MS-MVP
Elephant Boy Computers - Don't Panic!

Old September 18th 08, 07:33 PM posted to microsoft.public.windows.vista.hardware_devices
Nogginsaked

I believe there is no user access to this sealed design.
I hope you are under warranty and have your sales slip.
I suspect that the power supply is malfunctioning.
In a regular box you can see this if the power supply is not signaling the
motherboard that there is adequate power to proceed with the boot process.
However as this is a unique HP designed system it could be any number of
things . . .

Old September 18th 08, 07:57 PM posted to microsoft.public.windows.vista.hardware_devices
max carson[_2_]

Default vista x64 will not boot from hard drive, restore, or from dvd

Thanks for your response, and yes I have the sales slip. I talked to HP and
shipping the machine back as soon as there box arrives. I suppect you are
correct, it's a hardware malfuntion. Being a new and unique design, (only a
month and a half old), I am reluctant to crack it open like a clam. Again,
Thanks--Max

Old September 18th 08, 08:01 PM posted to microsoft.public.windows.vista.hardware_devices
max carson[_2_]

Thanks for your reply. I suspect it's a hardware problem as will as a
software glich.
maybe the MBR was erased during my system restore ?
Again Thanks, max