Email and Windows Vista All issues relating to email and email software using Windows Vista. (microsoft.public.windows.vista.mail)

0x8000ffff -- When i Try installing Windows Live messenger..?

Old September 20th 08, 09:52 AM posted to microsoft.public.windows.vista.mail
Tom beck

Default 0x8000ffff -- When i Try installing Windows Live messenger..?

When i Try And Install Windows Live 8.1 For My Windows Vista PC It Says..

There Was A Problem with this Installation.Windows Live Suite Was Not
Installed.
System Error Details :
Code : 0x8000ffff
Description : Catastrophic Error
Old September 20th 08, 11:12 AM posted to microsoft.public.windows.vista.mail
Peter Foldes

Tom

Office XP SP3 installed or did you try to install at one time.

This error suggests a Office XP SP3 issue

--
Peter

Old September 20th 08, 02:07 PM posted to microsoft.public.msn.messenger,microsoft.public.windows.vista.mail
Jonathan Kay [MVP]

Greetings,

Basically it's trying to load a component that isn't there. I reproduced something similar
recently and didn't have any luck actually debugging what it was looking for using standard
tools (procmon, etc.) although I did end up figuring it out. Unfortunately it won't relate
to this Live Installer problem.

The quickest way to install Messenger would be to just download and install Messenger
directly from its MSI:
http://messenger.jonathankay.com/redir/wlm85.asp

--
Jonathan Kay
Microsoft MVP - Windows Live Messenger

Old October 2nd 08, 09:14 PM posted to microsoft.public.msn.messenger,microsoft.public.windows.vista.mail
Confucious

"Jonathan Kay [MVP]" wrote:

The quickest way to install Messenger would be to just download and install Messenger
directly from its MSI:
http://messenger.jonathankay.com/redir/wlm85.asp

Having just failed miserably to get beta 2009 to run on a Vista machine, I
couldn't revert back to an older version - I kept getting error 0x8000ffff

Following your link and installing the MSI has worked - at least I can now
access messenger even if it's not the latest Beta!

Many thanks

Old October 3rd 08, 08:49 AM posted to microsoft.public.windows.vista.mail
liakos9171

hey jonathan please help me too if you know a kind of solution to my
problem :cry:

--
liakos9171
Old October 7th 08, 05:09 AM posted to microsoft.public.windows.vista.mail
therriengn

omg I cannot believe i figured this one out. I have searched everywhere
for the mysterious Catastrophic Error 0x8000ffff and as you said
Jonathan basically its trying to load a componant that is no longer
available, however i tried installing messenger as you suggested but got
the 'A more recent version of Windows live exists blah blah blah'

I then stumbled upon this tool the Windows Installer CleanUp Utility:

You can use the utility to remove installation information for programs
that were installed by using Windows Installer. Be aware that Windows
Installer CleanUp Utility will not remove the actual program from your
computer. However, it will remove the installation files so that you can
start the installation, upgrade, or uninstall over.

Worked Great i removed the info that Windows Installer assumed was
there and was able to proceed with my installation with no Catastrophic
failure.

There's 3 hours of my life i won't get back but hopefully this will
help someone else. Cheers Lola

'Jonathan Kay [MVP Wrote:
;3984789']Greetings,

[...]

Requests for assistance by email can not and will not be

acknowledged.

"Tom beck" Tom wrote in message
When i Try And Install Windows Live 8.1 For My Windows Vista PC It

Says..

There Was A Problem with this Installation.Windows Live Suite Was

Not
Installed.
System Error Details :
Code : 0x8000ffff
Description : Catastrophic Error

--
therriengn
therriengn's Profile:
http://forums.techarena.in/members/therriengn.htm
View this thread: http://forums.techarena.in/windows-v...il/1041352.htm

http://forums.techarena.in

Old October 13th 08, 12:54 PM posted to microsoft.public.windows.vista.mail
christian105

I just had the same problem.

I have found a solution.
I had the windows live beta installed on my pc but then crashed when it
forced me to install an update version which corrupted the installation
files.

I tryed to manually uninstall windows live beta from control panel and
then tryed to install the normal windows live messenger on
http://messenger.msn.co.uk but then was receiving the same error code.

I then go to control panel and then saw Windows Live Programs (beta)
i select that but then does not recconize i got any windows live
messenger installed. So i try to install windows live beta again. It
worked. but then as for having problems with it i didnt like it, i go to
that same program on the controll panel and un selected everything that
was install to un install.

It removed all the windows live beta features it had on my pc and tryed
once again to install the normal windows live messenger and it work with
no error code and is now working fine

Hope this works for you too like it did to me
Christian

--
christian105
christian105's Profile: http://forums.techarena.in/members/christian105.htm

Old October 11th 08, 12:54 PM posted to microsoft.public.msn.messenger,microsoft.public.windows.vista.mail
doggystyler

--
hey everyone waz up ,you all fine i like to be online and listen to music so
that's why i hv windows media player is so fun having it and be updated

"Jonathan Kay [MVP]" wrote:

[...]

thank you thank you thank you hmm i wish i can date a guy like you