Acronis True Image and Vista (Home Premium)

Old September 23rd 08, 11:51 PM posted to microsoft.public.windows.vista.file_management
Dave T.[_2_]

Default Acronis True Image and Vista (Home Premium)

Paul Montgomery wrote:
On Tue, 23 Sep 2008 21:54:08 +0100, "Gordon"
wrote:

"David B." wrote in message
and always keep it disconnected when not performing a backup or restore
operation.

Why?

Yer, joshing... RIGHT?

In case you're serious: it lessens the chance of losing it if
something - like a power surge - damages the machine and somehow might
damage connected devices as well.

And after you disconnect it, mail it to a friend in another state. Never
know when those pesky Iranians are gonna lob a nuke into yer back yard!

I take a minimalist approach since I have nothing that is mission
critical. This ain't the pentagon. If I lost everything on my machine I
would be sad. For a minute.

I think the thing to remember is that what you need is a second copy of
what you want to keep, in case something happens to the original. I
don't care what approach anybody uses, you can visualize a scenario
whereby both copies go away, or 3 copies! After all, if the water is
deep enough to get your backups, you no longer have a business anyway.

--
Dave T.

You can't imagine the extra work I had when I was a god. - Hirohito,
Emporer of Japan
Old September 23rd 08, 11:53 PM posted to microsoft.public.windows.vista.file_management
Dave T.[_2_]

Lonestar wrote:
Has anyone had success saving and restoring a Vista Home Premium drive image
(C onto an external hard drive with Acronis, ver 11? If so, which
external hard drive did you use? Thanks.

EW

Let me first ask if you already own Acronis? If not, get the trial
version and find out if it will work on your computer. It won't work on
mine so the $40 I spent is wasted.

Old September 24th 08, 12:02 AM posted to microsoft.public.windows.vista.file_management
Paul Montgomery[_3_]

wrote:

"David B." wrote in message
and always keep it disconnected when not performing a backup or restore
operation.

Why?

Yer, joshing... RIGHT?

In case you're serious: it lessens the chance of losing it if
something - like a power surge - damages the machine and somehow might
damage connected devices as well.

And after you disconnect it, mail it to a friend in another state. Never
know when those pesky Iranians are gonna lob a nuke into yer back yard!

I take a minimalist approach since I have nothing that is mission
critical. This ain't the pentagon. If I lost everything on my machine I
would be sad. For a minute.

I would be extremely ****ED. I have mail and other things on this
machine dating back over 10 years. I am so paranoid about losing any
of it that in addition to my ATI images, I also maintain a cloned disk
using Casper, and I have all of it copied to my notebook.

Old September 24th 08, 12:14 AM posted to microsoft.public.windows.vista.file_management
Lonestar

"Dave T." wrote in message

Let me first ask if you already own Acronis? If not, get the trial
version and find out if it will work on your computer. It won't work on
mine so the $40 I spent is wasted.

--
Dave T.

Great idea -- the trial version -- and no, I don't have Acronis yet. But I
can't imagine why True Image 11 wouldn't work on a standard Vista system.

Thanks.

EW

Old September 24th 08, 01:03 AM posted to microsoft.public.windows.vista.file_management
Dave T.[_2_]

Lonestar wrote:
"Dave T." wrote in message
Let me first ask if you already own Acronis? If not, get the trial
version and find out if it will work on your computer. It won't work on
mine so the $40 I spent is wasted.

--
Dave T.

Great idea -- the trial version -- and no, I don't have Acronis yet. But I
can't imagine why True Image 11 wouldn't work on a standard Vista system.

Thanks.

EW

Let me tell you about Acronis on my HP Vista Home Premium. I could do an
image with no problem. When it came time to do an incremental, it would
hang at 12% completion. The tech support was very helpful, as they
notified me that this is a well known problem (one of very many) that
has to do with certain multi-core processors. They were very nice
though. They said that they have known about the problem for about a
year, and they were going to fix it. Someday. The best they could do for
me was point me to a "work-around" that was authored by one of their
users. It was a registry hack to disable one of the cores of my CPU.
That was the day I un-installed ATI v. 11.

I have found that there are quite a few folks on Usenet that treat
Acronis sort of like a cult religion much the same as people who tout
the merits of Linux. The facts are, in my opinion, ATI is incredibly
bloated and full of a lot of crap that anyone with any sense wouldn't
have on their machine anyway. Watch the flames I get after this post to
demonstrate what I mean.

When you get your trial version, it will take you the full 15 days just
to study the 122 page instruction manual.

Good luck, and choose wisely.

Old September 24th 08, 01:07 AM posted to microsoft.public.windows.vista.file_management
Jim Rusling

"Dave T." wrote:

Lonestar wrote:
Has anyone had success saving and restoring a Vista Home Premium drive image
(C onto an external hard drive with Acronis, ver 11? If so, which
external hard drive did you use? Thanks.

EW

Let me first ask if you already own Acronis? If not, get the trial
version and find out if it will work on your computer. It won't work on
mine so the $40 I spent is wasted.

Have you contacted tech support? The boot CD would not work on my new
machine due to the raid controller. It took a little while to get
things sorted out, but they gave me an image that did work and said
that the fixes would be included in the next release.
--
Jim Rusling
More or Less Retired
Old September 24th 08, 01:12 AM posted to microsoft.public.windows.vista.file_management
DDW[_2_]

On Tue, 23 Sep 2008 18:03:25 -0700, "Dave T."
wrote:

When you get your trial version, it will take you the full 15 days just
to study the 122 page instruction manual.

I thought Acronis was pretty intuitive.

That said, the full 122 pages are hardly necessary to figure out how
make an image. Many people will only use ATI to image anyway.

DDW
No email please
Old September 24th 08, 02:34 AM posted to microsoft.public.windows.vista.file_management
Dave T.[_2_]

Jim Rusling wrote:
"Dave T." wrote:

Lonestar wrote:
Has anyone had success saving and restoring a Vista Home Premium drive image
(C onto an external hard drive with Acronis, ver 11? If so, which
external hard drive did you use? Thanks.

EW

Let me first ask if you already own Acronis? If not, get the trial
version and find out if it will work on your computer. It won't work on
mine so the $40 I spent is wasted.

Have you contacted tech support? The boot CD would not work on my new
machine due to the raid controller. It took a little while to get
things sorted out, but they gave me an image that did work and said
that the fixes would be included in the next release.

Yes. See my reply to lonestar.

As for fixing something in the next release, be advised that the last
release was 11 months ago, and Acronis historically puts out a new
version about once per year. You pay for it. The fix you need may (or
may not) be in the next version.

Old September 24th 08, 02:52 AM posted to microsoft.public.windows.vista.file_management
Jim Rusling

"Dave T." wrote:

Jim Rusling wrote:
"Dave T." wrote:

Lonestar wrote:
[...]

They did give me a bootable image that does work. I did not have any
problems except for the bootable CD.
--
Jim Rusling
More or Less Retired
Old September 24th 08, 04:55 AM posted to microsoft.public.windows.vista.file_management
Poseidonas

I used Acronis Home 7.0, then upgraded to Workstation 9.1 and currently
backing up with ECHO Workstation to external HDDs. I use the highest
encryption and compression if I backup my home PC with the 3.5" external
HDDs along with 4.7GB partitioning (for secondary backup to DVDs). For
my onsite work, I don't use encryption, light compression, and still use
the partitioning.

Also, I did purchase the Universal Restore upgrade, which allows
backups to be restored to completely different hardware systems.

--
Poseidonas