Connecting to printer wirelessly

Old September 22nd 08, 04:31 AM posted to microsoft.public.windows.vista.print_fax_scan
kungfuboy

Default Connecting to printer wirelessly

Hello,

I just got a Dell inspiron 1525 laptop running Vista home premium and
want to connect it wirelessly to a Dell V305 printer. It works fine
with the USB cable connected but I'm not sure where to start to get it
working wirelessly. I don't have any other pc's connected, just want to
use the laptop. Apologies if this question has been asked before or if
i am in the wrong forum, I am a newbie and really need a step by step
guide, if someone can help me out or link me to one it would be
appreciated.

Thanks
kungfuboy.

--
kungfuboy
Old September 22nd 08, 11:48 AM posted to microsoft.public.windows.vista.print_fax_scan
Malke[_2_]

kungfuboy wrote:

Hello,

I just got a Dell inspiron 1525 laptop running Vista home premium and
want to connect it wirelessly to a Dell V305 printer. It works fine
with the USB cable connected but I'm not sure where to start to get it
working wirelessly. I don't have any other pc's connected, just want to
use the laptop. Apologies if this question has been asked before or if
i am in the wrong forum, I am a newbie and really need a step by step
guide, if someone can help me out or link me to one it would be
appreciated.

To what is the printer connected? Another computer? A wireless router?

To use a printer on the network - wireless or wired - you will need a
router. This creates your Local Area Network. Then you set up the printer
to use a wireless connection (refer to its manual).

Please give details about exactly what you have so we can help you.

Malke
--
MS-MVP
Elephant Boy Computers - Don't Panic!

Old September 22nd 08, 01:34 PM posted to microsoft.public.windows.vista.print_fax_scan
Patrick C

Are you connected wirelessly now to the internet using a wireless router? I
would goto the router manufacturers web site and find out if they have print
servers available and download and read the related manuals. You may be
able to connect a print server to one of the Ethernet ports on your router
or get a wireless print router (more expensive).

Old September 22nd 08, 02:14 PM posted to microsoft.public.windows.vista.print_fax_scan
Ex_Brit[_5_]

The printer has to have wireless capabilities and that one doesn't from
what Dell's website says.
Port(s) Total ( Free ) / Connector TypeUSB(cable not included)

--
Ex_Brit

::*-Peter-*::
Toronto, Canada
XP Pro SP3 & Vista Ultimate SP1
P4 HT @ 3.0ghz, 4gb DDR, 700gb HDD
Old September 22nd 08, 07:32 PM posted to microsoft.public.windows.vista.print_fax_scan
kungfuboy

Thanks for the replys guys. I don't have a wireless router set up yet.
i'm probably the last person on the planet still stuck on dialup. I did
think the printer was wireless capable (maybe not now). I will go back
to the drawing board, thanks for the help.

kungfuboy.

--
kungfuboy
Old September 22nd 08, 07:52 PM posted to microsoft.public.windows.vista.print_fax_scan
Ex_Brit[_5_]

Hey, maybe it is, it's just I never found that. Check with Dell.

Old September 22nd 08, 08:05 PM posted to microsoft.public.windows.vista.print_fax_scan
Malke[_2_]

kungfuboy wrote:

Thanks for the replys guys. I don't have a wireless router set up yet.
i'm probably the last person on the planet still stuck on dialup. I did
think the printer was wireless capable (maybe not now). I will go back
to the drawing board, thanks for the help.

You're welcome. For your future planning, the setup usually goes like this:

/_/-----------------------/_/----------------various computers, printers

cable/DSL modem wireless router

The router will normally have 4 extra ports on the back where you can plug
in wired (ethernet) computers or network printers. The wireless
capabilities of a network printer are usually only useful if the printer
can't sit near the router, like if you want it in another room. Otherwise
just connect the printer wired to the router.

Your computers connect to the Local Area Network (and to the Internet)
either wired or wirelessly. It doesn't matter which, they are all part of
the same Local Area Network and can use resources on that network, such as
a printer.

HTH,

Malke